Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best media player for Ubuntu, other than iPod?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Best media player for Ubuntu, other than iPod?

Hi, I installed Ubuntu on my laptop a few months back, and all was well, until I realized Ubuntu has no support for my iPod Nano 5th generation. I read on other forums that all earlier apple products comply with various Ubuntu music programs, the 5th generation Nano however...ZILCH! Apple really cranked down the closed source firmware on this one so I still have to use my family PC every once in a while to sync my iPod with iTunes on Windows Vista (which is a nuisance). I have tried every solution I could find on the internet... with no luck. Now I realize, it's not Ubuntu that messed this one up; it's APPLE. I could get a 4th generation and use that, but now I say, screw them I'm boycotting Apple products.

So, my question to you Ubuntu people: What is the best music player for Ubuntu? Be it...
    • Zen
    • Zune
    • Sony Walkman?

I'm looking for a music player that has a simple file storage format, so that I can simply copy my music from one folder on my laptop straight to the device. The music player should be available in a 16gb version and it should be able to sync with Banshee. What is the ideal Ubuntu music player?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Best media player for Ubuntu, other than iPod?

Quote Originally Posted by The Llama View Post
    Hi, I installed Ubuntu on my laptop a few months back, and all was well, until I realized Ubuntu has no support for my iPod Nano 5th generation. I read on other forums that all earlier apple products comply with various Ubuntu music programs, the 5th generation Nano however...ZILCH! Apple really cranked down the closed source firmware on this one so I still have to use my family PC every once in a while to sync my iPod with iTunes on Windows Vista (which is a nuisance). I have tried every solution I could find on the internet... with no luck. Now I realize, it's not Ubuntu that messed this one up; it's APPLE. I could get a 4th generation and use that, but now I say, screw them I'm boycotting Apple products.

So, my question to you Ubuntu people: What is the best music player for Ubuntu? Be it...
    • Zen
    • Zune
    • Sony Walkman?

I'm looking for a music player that has a simple file storage format, so that I can simply copy my music from one folder on my laptop straight to the device. The music player should be available in a 16gb version and it should be able to sync with Banshee. What is the ideal Ubuntu music player?
    any device that support MSC.

And unless you want to update your mp3 player through Virtualbox, don't get the Zune.

Btw, you might be interested in picking one of the devices on here -> http://www.rockbox.org/
    Last edited by sandyd; August 27th, 2011 at 02:38 AM.
    Ubuntu Forums Moderation Staff
    Okay then. We're relying on mirror dust and fairies but now we have a plan which is progress - Emma

Beans

i'd look for some kind of android device.
    maybe this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Archos-4-3-Inc...ref=pd_sim_e_6

Beans

I recommend the Sanza Fuze. Scroll-wheel version.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks for your answers so far, I was thinking of a Zune but now I can strike that one off my list. The Sony Walkman seems to be a good one for Ubuntu. I don't want to be spending over $120 so Archos is out

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I would say a sansa product. You just drag and drop. Plus you can rockbox it..... or not. Plus you can use sd cards. I have a fancy expensive ipod and I have a sansa clip+. I use the clip.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post
    I would say a sansa product. You just drag and drop. Plus you can rockbox it..... or not. Plus you can use sd cards. I have a fancy expensive ipod and I have a sansa clip+. I use the clip.
    Get the sansa fuze. both the v1 and v2 versions will work. Rockbox it, and youll have an awesome media player that plays almost everything.

but NOT the sansa fuze+. The touchpad is unbelievably horrible.
    Ubuntu Forums Moderation Staff
    Okay then. We're relying on mirror dust and fairies but now we have a plan which is progress - Emma

Beans

I own a Sansa Fuze also. I recommend it. Picked it up refurbished from tigerdirect.com for $29 last Christmas.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...569&CatId=4518

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
    Rockbox it, and youll have an awesome media player that plays almost everything.
    Will rockboxing it make it significantly better? I saw some videos for Rockbox on Youube and I'd like to know if I can remove the games, I just want a plain music player ...With a shiny graphical interface obviously.
    Quote Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
    but NOT the sansa fuze+. The touchpad is unbelievably horrible.
    From the reviews I've seen online, this is the first I've heard about the touchpad, could you elaborate? I must say I like the touchpad on my Nano
    Quote Originally Posted by VanR View Post
    I own a Sansa Fuze also. I recommend it. Picked it up refurbished from tigerdirect.com for $29 last Christmas.
    I may get that if I can get an extra memory card to go along. Does the memory card definitely work? My Music takes up about 8gb at the moment so I'm looking for a player with around 16gb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have a Sansa Fuze v2 (Rockboxed) with an additional 16GB micro-SD card.

Works perfectly.

Rockbox is not about "shiny graphical interfaces", but I'll take longer battery life, reliability and the ability to play many formats over eye candy any day. Not that the Rockbox interface is ugly, but the glitzy GUI experience wears off after the first day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast