Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Password Asus-n13

Beans

Bad Password Asus-n13

Followed all the posts to configure. I'm fairly confident I got it right. Network manager shows my wireless ssid connection just fine (also shows using wicd, with all green bars).

When I try to connect to my network it struggles for a while then pops-up with "Bad Password". (I positively have the password entered correctly.) This has been reproduced in two separate machines (Lucid & Natty). It has also reproduced on the Lucid machine after a reinstall.

So, I decided to wepcrack the connection and I found that when I monitor my wireless network ssid, it repeatedly dropped-out... failing to secure a handshake. Again, my signal is very strong.

Although it's of no use to me, this adapter connects without a glitch on Windows.

I saw a similar post @ thread t=182398. No resolution there.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Bad Password Asus-n13

Hi,

network-manager and wicd dont work in parallel. Deactivate NM, login again and try it again. Does your router work in DHCP-mode? Firmware is up-to-date?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You might want to take a look at post #5 on the following thread if you are getting "Bad Password" errors (and you are certain that your password is correct- including CaSE).

wicd wpa_supplicant "bad password" problem & workaround (wireless connection)
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...3#post11190843

Beans

still no

Network-manager completely uninstalled. WICD installed.

Tried the other fixes in the recommended post.

Still see the network with the usb but "bad password."

Then, turned off, removed usb, installed an old pci wireless. It finds network and connects. Same password.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've been reading about all sorts of issues with various USB wireless interfaces under Ubuntu lately. The fact that the old PCI wireless card worked relatively painlessly leads me to believe there is a bug, conflict, disconnect, or 'void' in your ASUS N13 USB driver module with either the wpasupplicant or wireless-tools packages somewhere in the router authentication process. I'm not certain why that is manifesting as a "bad password" though- perhaps that is the 'default case' when wpasupplicant gets confused and/or times out.

For the benefit of Ubuntuforums readers, here are links to some of the documentation and packages involved. It might be worth re-installing those 2 packages to see if that somehow helps get connected. I'd also consider contacting the wireless interface manufacturer, but Broadcom and Realtek are the only 2 OEM's that have reasonably good wireless support from what I've seen personally.

wpasupplicant package
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/wpasupplicant

WPA Howto
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WPAHowTo

Network Manager Howto
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkManager

WiFi Howto
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WiFiHowTo

HOWTO: Wireless Security - WPA1, WPA2, LEAP, etc.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202834

wireless-tools
    package
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?se...wireless-tools

Here are some more resources about ad-hoc networks and the new-ish WiFi Protected Setup (WPS) "pushbutton" wireless security:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Adhoc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Setup

Bug #388553: Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) not supported
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/388553

Blueprint: Integrate Wi-Fi Protected Setup in NetworkManager
    https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubu...rotected-setup

Wi-FI Protected Setup supported?
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1472847

Beans

After reviewing posts in this and other forums it is clear that this device can be configured with certain distributions running certain kernels. Setup and configuration varies considerably. There are many posts where a user lost the device when upgrading kernels or distributions. If you mix and match your intuition and selected recommendations, you can often stumble upon a workout. Performance is marginal.

I pulled out several old and new Ubuntu install DVDs and installed them in VBOX machines. Sure enough, if you reproduce the kernel and distribution of a poster's machine, you can fly the device using some modification of his/her recommendations... failing utterly in most other cases. Sometimes WICD works, sometimes not. Sometimes versions of installed packages have to be forced to earlier versions. In recent kernels the native rt2870sta works. Other times installing 3rd party drivers works but you will need to edit several files before the make and move/rename files afterwards. Performance is never very good.

For example in a Natty VM, use the native rt2870sta, blacklist rt2800usb and rta2x00usb, and see t=1419504&page=6 post 58. This produces a working device with network-manager. You can obtain a marginal connection provided your signal is strong. The latency will be poor (pinging the router with 64 bytes will take 50 to 3000 ms... a Windows XP VM will take 0.5 to 5ms). Tweaking the limited iwconfig options will be unsatisfying. There will be no rt2870sta.dat file to edit.

I could fly this device on a native install, but why bother. It's a great Windows device but it's not ready for Ubuntu primetime. I'm not mad though. Where else can you get 4 or 5 days of fun for $30. If you just want to use a wireless usb then avoid this one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by max1e6 View Post
    After reviewing posts in this and other forums it is clear that this device can be configured with certain distributions running certain kernels. Setup and configuration varies considerably. There are many posts where a user lost the device when upgrading kernels or distributions. If you mix and match your intuition and selected recommendations, you can often stumble upon a workout. Performance is marginal.

I pulled out several old and new Ubuntu install DVDs and installed them in VBOX machines. Sure enough, if you reproduce the kernel and distribution of a poster's machine, you can fly the device using some modification of his/her recommendations... failing utterly in most other cases. Sometimes WICD works, sometimes not. Sometimes versions of installed packages have to be forced to earlier versions. In recent kernels the native rt2870sta works. Other times installing 3rd party drivers works but you will need to edit several files before the make and move/rename files afterwards. Performance is never very good.

For example in a Natty VM, use the native rt2870sta, blacklist rt2800usb and rta2x00usb, and see t=1419504&page=6 post 58. This produces a working device with network-manager. You can obtain a marginal connection provided your signal is strong. The latency will be poor (pinging the router with 64 bytes will take 50 to 3000 ms... a Windows XP VM will take 0.5 to 5ms). Tweaking the limited iwconfig options will be unsatisfying. There will be no rt2870sta.dat file to edit.

I could fly this device on a native install, but why bother. It's a great Windows device but it's not ready for Ubuntu primetime. I'm not mad though. Where else can you get 4 or 5 days of fun for $30. If you just want to use a wireless usb then avoid this one.
    Hi max,

If you still have that Asus-n13 nearby, could you plug it in, restart ubuntu, and paste the output of the following commands if/when you get time (the diagnostic output might help someone here on the forum eventually):

Code:
    lsusb
    ifconfig
    iwconfig
    dmesg | grep rt28
    nm-tool
    sudo lshw -C network
    sudo iwlist scan
    cat /etc/lsb-release
    cat /etc/modules
    rfkill list all
    EDIT: More as a note to myself, here is the Wicd forum (but I don't have an account there yet):

Wicd » Troubleshooting
    http://wicd.net/punbb/viewforum.php?id=2
    Last edited by northd_tech; August 30th, 2011 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Wicd forum link

Beans

Here's the output from the Natty VBOX machine (that is connecting poorly). (Minor edits made to suppress false images.) Let me know if somethings amuck.

:~$ lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 80ee:0021
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0b05:1784 ASUSTek Computer, Inc. 802.11n Network Adapter
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

:~$ ifconfig
    eth0 & lo omitted for readability

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr ommitted
    inet addr:192.168.57.29 Bcast:192.168.57.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: ommitted Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:4826 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:794 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:1293644 (1.2 MB) TX bytes:59203 (59.2 KB)

:~$ iwconfig

wlan0 Ralink STA ESSID:"xxx" Nickname:"RT2870STA"
    Mode:Managed Frequency=2.462 GHz Access Point: omitted
    Bit Rate=54 Mb/s
    RTS thr=off Fragment thr=off
    Link Quality=100/100 Signal level:-41 dBm Noise level:-63 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

:~$ dmesg | grep rt28
    { 30.116027} rt2870sta: module is from the staging directory, the quality is unknown, you have been warned.
    { 31.855784} usbcore: registered new interface driver rt2870
    { 46.645809} <==== rt28xx_init, Status=0
    { 95.435880} <==== rt28xx_init, Status=0

:~$ nm-tool
    NetworkManager Tool

State: connected omitted --------------------

- Device: wlan0 {Auto "xxx"} -------------------------------------------
    Type: 802.11 WiFi
    Driver: usb
    State: connected
    Default: no
    HW Address: omitted

Capabilities:
    Speed: 54 Mb/s

Wireless Properties
    WEP Encryption: yes
    WPA Encryption: yes
    WPA2 Encryption: yes

Wireless Access Points (* = current AP)
    *xxx: Infra, omitted, Freq 2462 MHz, Rate 11 Mb/s, Strength 100 WPA WPA2

IPv4 Settings:
    Address: 192.168.57.29
    Prefix: 24 (255.255.255.0)
    Gateway: 192.168.57.1

DNS: 192.168.57.1

:~$ sudo lshw -C network
    *-network
    description: Wireless interface
    physical id: 1
    ?? bus info: firewire@1 ??
    logical name: wlan0
    serial: xxx
    capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=usb ip=192.168.57.29 multicast=yes wireless=Ralink STA

:~$ sudo iwlist scan

wlan0 Scan completed :
    Cell 01 - Address: omitted
    Protocol:802.11g/n
    ESSID:"xxx"
    Mode:Managed
    Channel:11
    Quality:100/100 Signal level:-41 dBm Noise level:-63 dBm
    Encryption key=on
    Bit Rates:11 Mb/s
    IE: WPA Version 1
    Group Cipher : TKIP
    Pairwise Ciphers (2) : TKIP CCMP
    Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
    IE: IEEE 802.11i/WPA2 Version 1
    Group Cipher : TKIP
    Pairwise Ciphers (2) : TKIP CCMP
    Authentication Suites (1) : PSK

:~$ cat /etc/lsb-release
    DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=11.04
    DISTRIB_CODENAME=natty
    DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 11.04"

:~$ cat /etc/modules
    lp

:~$ rfkill list all (nothing here, loads at plug)

a few pings

64 bytes from 192.168.57.1: icmp_req=188 ttl=64 time=21.6 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.57.1: icmp_req=189 ttl=64 time=19.5 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.57.1: icmp_req=190 ttl=64 time=3458 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.57.1: icmp_req=191 ttl=64 time=2453 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.57.1: icmp_req=192 ttl=64 time=1453 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.57.1: icmp_req=193 ttl=64 time=457 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.57.1: icmp_req=194 ttl=64 time=13.0 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.57.1: icmp_req=195 ttl=64 time=12.5 ms

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa