Thread: Can't log in- Log in screen just appears again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

[SOLVED] Can't log in- Log in screen just appears again

Edit: SOLVED. See the end of this post.

First of all I'd like to mention that I'm by no means new to Ubuntu, I've been using it since 2008. So there's a reason I'm posting here.

Starting yesterday, whenever I try to log in to Ubuntu 11.04, if I put in the right password it just turns my monitors on and off again and shows me the login screen. I tried switching sessions (I use Unity 2D daily build), I tried installing Lightdm and kdm but they do exactly the same thing. I tried restarting the display managers (CTRL+ALT+F1, logging in in text mode and sudo service gdm/kdm/lightdm restart).

Thanks for any help.

I solved this problem by accident. I had given up and was just going to reinstall Ubuntu. Before I did that, I backed up my /home/<username> directory onto Windows, but because it was so full, I decided to delete everything but what I needed. I'm not sure which directory or config file I deleted that did it, but here are the directories/config files that I deleted: (I removed some directories that I know didn't cause the problem from this list, just to save you some time)

Code:
    rm -rf .cache .compiz .config .dbus .gksu.lock .gnome2 .gnome2_private .ICEauthority .icedtea .local .mission-control .nautilus .nv .pki .profile .pulse .pulse-cookie .sesi_licenses.pref .Xauthority .xsession-errors .xsession-errors.old 
    rm -rf .esd_auth .dmrc 
    rm -rf .gconf .gconfd
    Hope that helps!
    Last edited by dsavi; August 27th, 2011 at 12:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Can't log in- Log in screen just appears again

Hi
    Try using oem as username and enter your password.
    With regards
    Dr Kurian
    Microsoft gives you Windows... Linux gives you the whole house.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Can't log in- Log in screen just appears again

I'm afraid that didn't work. Just gave an authentication error.