Thread: Nvidia + 6 monitors + 3 graphic cards

Beans

Nvidia + 6 monitors + 3 graphic cards

Hello,

Just Installed Ubuntu 10.04 in a computer with 3 Nvidia GT430 and 6 monitors. Under Nvidia Settings I can enable a second screen as twinview but dont know how to setup the other 4. I'm an ubuntu noob so please bear with me. I don't know what info. should I post. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Beans

Re: Nvidia + 6 monitors + 3 graphic cards

Hi, I sorted this by myself, a different X screen for each monitor, enabled xinerama and saved configuration.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

means,everything works as you wanted?
    ..doesn't xinerama kill desktop effects?
    Best app ever: Easystroke

Beans

Haven't tried any effects but with Xinerama I couldn't open Firefox in a different display. Don't know why. But I would like to drag windows around the screens. As soon as I can I'll post the error message. But all i've done has been thanks to you realzippy!!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fuchini View Post
    Haven't tried any effects but with Xinerama I couldn't open Firefox in a different display.
    Isn't that the nature of xinerama,as the name says:
    You have only 1 big fat screen.
    Think you have to go for Twinview.
    Suggest some googling,lllllots of stuff...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by realzippy; August 26th, 2011 at 08:54 PM.

Beans

Hello,

Twinview works but between 2 adjacent screens (each pair that's connected to equal cards) and when I maximize a windows it maximizes across both screens. Is there a way to have a different X screen in each monitor but still darg windows or a way to have cinerema and open applications in different screens?

I've learned a lot today, Thanks!!!
    Last edited by fuchini; August 26th, 2011 at 09:50 PM.

Beans

Maybe using Xinerema and wmctrl to move my windows around?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Maybe...as mentioned,you are pretty alone with this uncommon project.
    As far as I understood that 6-monitor-guy,he used xgl,and kind of fake-xinerama/twinview mix:

#3 My final solution was a combination of the 3 twinview configurations, enable xinerama, and installing xserver-xgl from the package manager. Once these things were in place i had one large virtual screen with 3D enabled across all 6 monitors! I heard that there were issues with xserver-xgl but I haven't had any issues and I've been running on this for a few weeks now.. I will revisit the original xserver-xorg configuration again in the future to see if I can get it to work - but the limitation seems to be that if I enable xinerama with it - compiz-fusion will no longer work.. and without enabling xinerama - i was stuck with 3 separate xscreens! (so if i can find a solution to merge the 3 twinview screens without using xinerama

#4 - the final issue had to do with the fact that now that i had all 6 monitors working as one - xserver-xgl now decided that when i maximize a window - it needs to maximize across all 6 monitors! I looked for various options and the one i came up with was a hack of the xinerama library itself - (do a search on google for fake xinerama) - but.. I now see that compiz-fusion has its own settings for settings monitor arrangements and you can manually enter them. The benefit of the fake xinerama deal was that it also allowed the bootup / login screen to show up in one monitor instead of expanded across all 6..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Maybe just ask him for help:

Shane Menshik
    D2 GLOBAL INC.

https://plus.google.com/109118911280249779106/posts

Beans

Thanks for all your help realzippy. I'll try to find out about the fake xinerama but for now it will stay as it is.