Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting ready to get my first Android phone

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Getting ready to get my first Android phone

Quote Originally Posted by Merk42 View Post
    Extra ram for what though? Just to have free ram?
    If an application needs the ram, then Android will close a sleeping (running background program) to free up the ram.
    That's how Android works.

Perhaps it's the CPU power needed, I'm not sure. I know that killing the apps will give a performance boost. It's noticeable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by SonicSteve View Post
    Perhaps it's the CPU power needed, I'm not sure. I know that killing the apps will give a performance boost. It's noticeable.
    or placebo
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Merk42 View Post
    or placebo
    I have a chinese Epad tablet and I can say with all certainty that Angry birds plays choppy before I kill tasks. After the tasks are killed it's much better. Believe it or not I'm telling you my experience, I can't help that it doesn't line up with your theory.

I would imagine that it has more to do with inferior CPU's that can't keep up with the way Android wants to manage things. Each task needs CPU time to operate, they each sync up with servers as they see fit, that requires CPU time. On an Android device with adequate CPU power I think your theory holds true. On inferior devices however having a task killer is needed.
    Last edited by SonicSteve; August 29th, 2011 at 06:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by SonicSteve View Post
    I have a chinese Epad tablet and I can say with all certainty that Angry birds plays choppy before I kill tasks. After the tasks are killed it's much better.
    Can't really argue with that.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ok found my first really useful App the other day.... a WiFi analyzer, its actually pretty darn slick and we used it to do some WiFi mapping at a local church where we are doing some volunteer networking stuff...

Much nicer to use that signal meter on the cell phone instead of lugging the laptop around the building doing it..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123