Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: window 7 back up?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Question window 7 back up?

My Hp mini has window 7 starter and got message: ...".we recommend that you save your back up on external hard drive."
    so..
    Assuming, save window 7 starter in external hard drive, and install ubuntu in entire hard drive,
    can i still use window 7 from external hard drive???

Beans

Re: window 7 back up?

No. When you back up an operating system you have to still re-install widows and restore the backup. If you want to have both windows and linux installed you need to make a partition for linux, or add another hard drive to your computer.
    sudo get me a sandwich.

Beans

The backup is really just config files, data, etc. and not a full operating system. But if you have an external drive and want to backup before venturing in to Linux/Ubuntu, I say image the drive. If you don't like the new OS just slap the old image back on and it is like you never missed a step.

If it matters any, Windows 7 Starter is awful and anything you put on there would be an improvement.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix01 View Post
    My Hp mini has window 7 starter and got message: ...".we recommend that you save your back up on external hard drive."
    so..
    Assuming, save window 7 starter in external hard drive, and install ubuntu in entire hard drive,
    Hi, if you have an external drive you could also put ubuntu on it and boot from it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Does the Starter Edition not have the same backup abilities as the Professional?
    Thank you for your contributions. "So long and thanks for the fish!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    Does the Starter Edition not have the same backup abilities as the Professional?
    I believe all additions up to pro are a one time backup. I have W7 pro and I can back up sync, and image it as often and as many times I want. Still do clonezilla as an extra though.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by wilee-nilee View Post
    I believe all additions up to pro are a one time backup. I have W7 pro and I can back up sync, and image it as often and as many times I want. Still do clonezilla as an extra though.
    Kool for us, but bad for those who need it. Didn't know they had it set up like that.
    Thank you for your contributions. "So long and thanks for the fish!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix01 View Post
    so..
    Hi, your welcome if your problem or question is resolved, would you please go to the top of the page and mark this thread solved be clicking on forum tools. Thank you so much.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by wildmanne39 View Post
    Hi, if you have an external drive you could also put ubuntu on it and boot from it.
    I booted ubuntu from USB, but this does not save any.....
    i downloaded google chrome, changed settings of mouse ( touch pad)...i turned off machine, booted again...
    they were gone....back to default?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Question Re: window 7 back up?

will u tell me how to image the drive?

Quote Originally Posted by crispy_420 View Post
    The backup is really just config files, data, etc. and not a full operating system. But if you have an external drive and want to backup before venturing in to Linux/Ubuntu, I say image the drive. If you don't like the new OS just slap the old image back on and it is like you never missed a step.

If it matters any, Windows 7 Starter is awful and anything you put on there would be an improvement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast