Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Screen Dimming During Inactivity Despite Being Set to Not Do So?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Screen Dimming During Inactivity Despite Being Set to Not Do So?

No, that's the way it currently works. :-/
    The Power User’s Guide to Unity
    Questions about Ubuntu? Ask them at askubuntu.com!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

When I wake up the display after it shuts off, the screen is dimmed to about 10%. I have to adjust the system brightness to get it back.

Beans

I only know that I don't get this with Lubuntu, only Ubuntu. And I also get this with Fedora and the default Gnome DE.

I've not bothered trying LXDE w/Fedora to see what happens but I fail to see the point.

IMHO this has to be a flaw in gnome 3. I tend to think the gnome devs focused on eye candy and forgot about functions that effect everyday usage

I'm now so happy with Lubuntu I doubt I'll ever go back to gnome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    If does so here on 2 setups, around 10 min or so. At least here it has nothing to do with gnome-screensaver, something in the power settings/bios/monitor
    Can take care of here through a blanket section in xorg.conf, noting that this doesn't affect the time to dim in gnome-screensaver, 2 different things

Code:
    Section "ServerFlags"
            Option	"BlankTime"	"0"
            Option	"StandbyTime"	"0"
            Option	"SuspendTime"	"0"
            Option	"OffTime"	"0"
    EndSection
    Interesting. I just tried that addition to xorg.conf and now it won't boot at all. If I remove quiet splash I get an "OK" half way down the right side of the (black) screen and that's it! No disc activity, no login screen, nothing.
    After a couple more tries I tty'd and removed xorg.conf and rebooted.
    Now it will boot fine.
    I'm confused.
    I'm using gnome-shell on 64 bit. Would that have anything to do with it?
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

At least here the screen 'dimming' or blanking was also affected by DPMS (Energy Star)
    So the xorg section was effective in preventing that.
    Just ran across this thread which was informative & has an alt. method I like better - posts 17 & 18
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1483345
    ( to check - xset -q
    off - xset -dpms
    back on - xset dpms

Beans

FWIW, org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power has the relevant keys, as mentioned above: idle-dim-ac, idle-dim-battery and idle-dim-time. However, default values do not seem to be properly respected by the plugin, but if I "force" the setting (i.e. click the checkbox twice: once to change it, another time to restore it back), it starts working properly. I didn't have to restart Ubuntu or log out and back in, but I did try it out from within GNOME Shell. I didn't see this problem on my desktop (but I also run Unity there, though I suspect that has nothing to do with it, and it's more the fact that this is a laptop).

If this is indeed the case, it sounds like a bug in gnome-settings-daemon that needs to be fixed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I dealt with it on friday. I had one hour to make the HTPC work right or the wife would file for divorce. I threw in all settings I could find and succeeded to avoid dimming, blanking and screensaver. But it was made on a rush: It works, but I don't know exactly which settings are really necessary.

~/quick_fix.sh
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    # Work dammit

# Disable screensaver start
    gconftool-2 --direct --config-source=xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults -s -t bool /apps/gnome_settings_daemon/screensaver/start_screensaver false

# Disable screensaver locking
    gconftool-2 --direct --config-source=xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults -s -t bool /apps/gnome-screensaver/lock_enabled false

# Disable screensaver altogether
    gconftool-2 --direct --config-source=xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults -s -t bool /apps/gnome-screensaver/idle_activation_enabled false

# Increase screensaver idle time (max 2h, we set to 10h)
    gconftool-2 --direct --config-source=xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults -s -t bool /apps/gnome-screensaver/idle_delay 600

# Disable DPMS screen blank on AC and battery
    gconftool-2 --direct --config-source=xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults -s -t string /apps/gnome-power-manager/ac_dpms_sleep_method off 

gconftool-2 --direct --config-source=xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults -s -t string /apps/gnome-power-manager/battery_dpms_sleep_method off

# Disable Computer sleep when on AC and battery
    gconftool-2 --direct --config-source=xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults -s -t integer /apps/gnome-power-manager/ac_sleep_computer 0 

gconftool-2 --direct --config-source=xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults -s -t integer /apps/gnome-power-manager/battery_sleep_computer 0

# Disable Display sleep when on AC and battery
    gconftool-2 --direct --config-source=xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults -s -t integer /apps/gnome-power-manager/ac_sleep_display 0 

gconftool-2 --direct --config-source=xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults -s -t integer /apps/gnome-power-manager/battery_sleep_display 0

# Disable Dim-on-Idle
    gconftool-2 --direct --config-source=xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults -s -t bool /apps/gnome-power-manager/dim_on_idle false

# Setterm
    setterm -powersave off -blank 0

# xset stuff
    xset -dpms
    xset dpms 0 0 0
    xset s noblank
    xset s off
    Regards,
    Effenberg
    Last edited by effenberg0x0; September 26th, 2011 at 11:51 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by paul_in_london View Post
    I did this too - also installed and ran dconf-editor and went to 'org --> gnome --> desktop --> screensaver and unchecked the box next to 'idle-activation-enabled'.

See this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ht=screensaver

Thanks that worked for me!

Strange that "Applications -> System Settings -> Display->Dim screen to save power" had no effect though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123