Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ujjayi Breathing Experiences?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ujjayi Breathing Experiences?

Recently, I've begun seeing somebody regularly who calls himself a "Hypnotic Life Coach". I'll spare you all most of the details but I will say that the experience thus far has been amazing for me and I am noticing some real positive benefits from my time spent with him.

One of the things he has me doing now is Ujjayi breathing. I was uncomfortable to try it at first but now that I'm getting the hang of it I think it's something I'm going to continue and see what type of affect it has on me.

In the little bit of experience I have so far, it seems to really be helping me focus through the day and my mood seems much improved generally speaking.

I'm just wondering if anybody else around here practices it and if so maybe you could offer me some of your thoughts and experiences. Like I said, it's new to me and its on my mind today!
    If at first it doesn't work.. throw a temper tantrum, rant about how it sucks, and hate it forever.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ujjayi Breathing Experiences?

I have practiced several breathing techniques over the years. They require someone to focus their mind on the breathing technique which removes many of the mental distractions and random thoughts that interfere with the intellect. The rhythmic nature of the breathing techniques is relaxing which also has a calming effect on the emotions. I haven't really found any particular breathing technique to be superior. I have used breathing techniques to reach a relaxed focused state where I could work with psychosynthesis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychosynthesis). In the 1970's and 1980's, I started practicing some of Roberto Assagioli's psychosynthesis techniques described in his book "Psychosynthesis", published 1965. These techniques (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychosynthesis#Methods) are probably not dissimilar to the techniques being taught by your "Hypnotic Life Coach".

Edit: for the Mods, Ujjayi and psychosynthesis are not religious topics. Just in case someone complains about this thread.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; August 26th, 2011 at 01:46 AM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Hidden!

You have to practice breathing? Really?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by derekeverett View Post
    Recently, I've begun seeing somebody regularly who calls himself a "Hypnotic Life Coach". I'll spare you all most of the details but I will say that the experience thus far has been amazing for me and I am noticing some real positive benefits from my time spent with him.
    I can't help but to be reminded of Office Space.

Let us know if you have any outlandish results.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by BeRoot ReBoot View Post
    You have to practice breathing? Really?
    Yes, and I think you missed the word technique, what I said in my post, and what is in the links contained therein about relaxed focused state for personal self actualization. I don't have to think about breathing as it happens automatically.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post

Self actualization rarely produces "outlandish results". The move "Office Space" was a bizarre case of someone that was confused about their self identity and their role in society. That is one of the things that psychosynthesis is trying to help people resolve.

Beans
    Hidden!

The OP posted something in a predominately technical forum related to psychology. I have a feeling this thread is doomed; because, it will not be appreciated by people that are not interested in psychology nor have any knowledge of the subject.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Gray_Wolf View Post
    The OP posted something in a predominately technical forum related to psychology. I have a feeling this thread is doomed; because, it will not be appreciated by people that are not interested in psychology nor have any knowledge of the subject.
    Thanks for your comments and your links. It's been a long day for me and I'm tired now but will read the material in the morning and leave additional comments here if I have any thoughts.

I'm a member of several forums.. most of them techie in nature.. I chose this one to post about this topic because I felt that this community was likely to have people with experience in Ujjayi or related practices. I'm not sure I can rationalize exactly why I thought that, but I did. I guess I felt that if people here were willing to spend the time looking for and learning a better way to do technical things.. that maybe they would approach other aspects of their lives in a similar manner. Made sense to me at the time..
    If at first it doesn't work.. throw a temper tantrum, rant about how it sucks, and hate it forever.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post

Never seen Office Space.. but I'm always looking for new shows so I'll check it out.

I posted a thread in this cafe last year asking for show suggestions. Got some great ones too. So thanks.

Beans

I learned Ujjayi breathing in Yoga classes. As an instructor explained, it makes a sound to which the mind "likes to listen". It has the effect of shutting out extraneous thoughts and helps one relax.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast