Thread: Can't change user password

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Can't change user password

Ok, I'll start with the basics of what I'm running, Ubuntu 10.04 LTS with all the latest updates. The problem is I had to change my computer password to "password" so I could have my laptop checked by the school before I could connect it to the network and I was very reluctant to give my actual password to anyone, especially if the contract says that you can take anything off my computer without needing permission from anyone.

Well, I changed the password and now that I'm trying to change it back the users window just freezes when I try and change the password. I've tried 4 times, let it sit overnight once and it never changes. I really hate the password of password and it's as insecure as having no password at all.

Now, I've also been getting a message to enter my key chain password since I changed the password that I didn't have before I changed the password. This I'm assuming will go away once I have the password changed back or am I stuck entering this every time?

I know for sure that no settings could be changed because everything needs the root password and I never gave the root password to him.

Also, one more question, since I can't get this to change using the Users Settings control panel would changing it using passwd mess anything up? I've done that before on an old server we had as volunteers to play around with and the one that set the password had left.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Can't change user password

sudo
    PHP Code:
    passwd username 
    and follow instructions.

Reference
    Nonsense is an assertion of man's spiritual freedom in spite of all the oppressions of circumstance-- Aldous Huxley
    The real power of Linux lies in the command line

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yes, passwd will do the same thing for you.
    Why not making a new account for school?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Just need one account because if anything I do at home the school tries to blame on me sudo rm -rf / works great...

I will use the command and let you know the result (it should change the password unless my install is corrupt).
    Last edited by bodhi.zazen; August 25th, 2011 at 05:55 PM. Reason: sorry, worng button

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Compgeke View Post
    Just need one account because if anything I do at home the school tries to blame on me sudo rm -rf / works great...

I will use the command and let you know the result (it should change the password unless my install is corrupt).
    sudo rm -rf /

will not work in Ubuntu.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface