Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: eclipse is horribly slow...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Unhappy eclipse is horribly slow...

I'm currently using xubuntu dapper, and eclipse run's very, very, VERY SLOW. I tried both the one that can be downloadedwith synaptic, and one of those that can be downloaded from eclipse and are like, "untar an use it", both with the same problem...
    I used to run eclipse on ubuntu breezy with no problems...
    does anyone know a way to increase eclipse's performance??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: eclipse is horribly slow...

which JDK are u using ?

I use the Sun JDK 1.5.0_06 + Eclipse 3.1 from eclipse.org

The Default jdk that comes with Ubuntu doesnt work well wth eclipse

Also wts UR ram ? and do u have a lot of plugins installed ?

Beans
    Distro

I have like 7 hundred an something of ram, an I used to run eclipse with ubuntu's jdk. I recently installed the JDK 1.5.something to use the tomcat server, but I don't know wich one eclipse is using, or where do I specify it...
    The clipse I downloaded from eclipse.org comes with the web tools platform plugins, but I don't think that has much to do with the performance...I tested it on Fedora, and it worked pretty much fine...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by orlox
    I have like 7 hundred an something of ram, an I used to run eclipse with ubuntu's jdk. I recently installed the JDK 1.5.something to use the tomcat server, but I don't know wich one eclipse is using, or where do I specify it...
    The clipse I downloaded from eclipse.org comes with the web tools platform plugins, but I don't think that has much to do with the performance...I tested it on Fedora, and it worked pretty much fine...
    By default theres a link in /usr/bin/java that points to Ubuntu's Java .. U need to remove it and make it to point to the 'java' of where ur Sun JDK is .

Run as sudo

rm /usr/bin/java
    ln -s [ur_tgt_java] /usr/bin/java

Beans

Hi,
    I'm using Dapper but i resolve this problem by using sun's JVM when i was on Breezy.

To change your JVM, you should use 'sudo update-alternatives --config java' instead of
    rm /usr/bin/java
    ln -s [ur_tgt_java] /usr/bin/java
    You can have a list of available JVM's (and libs) by typing :
    'update-alternatives --list java'
    If you don't have Sun's one, you should install it. It's true the default one which come with Dapper seem's to be faster on my computer .

For the problem about eclipse, you should also take a look into /etc/eclipse/java_home and add at the top of the list java's home path (e.g /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun/jre/bin/java for me on Dapper)

The /etc/eclipse/java_home should be present if you installed eclipse using 'apt-get'

i hope it will help you
    Last edited by beytu; May 28th, 2006 at 03:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro

How do I install sun's JVM?? I tried finding it on sun's site to no avail...I only have installed sun's JDK on my computer, and "update-alternatives" doesn't give any choice from sun...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by orlox
    How do I install sun's JVM?? I tried finding it on sun's site to no avail...I only have installed sun's JDK on my computer, and "update-alternatives" doesn't give any choice from sun...
    Here are instructions, link stolen from java devel packages thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RestrictedFo...6638777396c249

Im using eclipse with sun jdk and can confirm that it runs fast.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Sun's Java is now an official package in Dapper multiverse, so it may be easiest to upgrade to Dapper (very stable now).

The entire install process to install Eclipse and Sun's Java (on Dapper) is to install the following 2 meta packages: eclipse sun-java5-jdk

However, as noted Eclipse will now run very slowly since it will be using GNU's java, not Sun's. We now need to make Sun's java the default. First,
    Code:
    sudo update-alternatives --config java
    and select Sun's java. You might want to do the same for jar, javac, javadoc, javap, and javaws.

Next, edit the JVM configuration file
    Code:
    sudo -b gedit /etc/jvm
    and move the line
    Code:
    /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun
    to the top.

Lastly, Eclipse for some reason ignores Ubuntu's JVM configuration file and uses its own (bug?). You need to edit eclipes's java_home file
    Code:
    sudo -b gedit /etc/eclipse/java_home
    and add
    Code:
    /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun
    to the top of the file.

That's it. Does anyone think I should post these instructions as a HOWTO ?
    When I invented the Web, I didn't have to ask anyone's permission.
    ~Tim Berners-Lee on Net Neutrality
    -------------------------------------
    Visit the Ubuntu Programming IRC-channel at #ubuntu-programming (chat.freenode.net).

Beans

great idea hod139, a lot of people asking for this (also in french forum for exemple).

But i have another little problem with this sun's java package about rmiregistry ... :
    Code:
    beytu@proteus:~$ ls -l /usr/bin/rmiregistry
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 2006-05-27 18:38 /usr/bin/rmiregistry -> /etc/alternatives/rmiregistry
    beytu@proteus:~$ ls -l /etc/alternatives/rmiregistry
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 41 2006-05-27 19:25 /etc/alternatives/rmiregistry -> /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj/jre/bin/rmiregistry
    And the selected JVM is sun's one ... is it me or a bug ?

NB : i didn't noticed this /etc/jvm file ... . Which apps use this file ? It will problably prevent me to edit the /etc/init.d/tomcat file the next time (i hope)
    Last edited by beytu; May 29th, 2006 at 08:48 PM.

Beans

thanks hod139 -- that solution totally solved my sluggish eclipse problem

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast