Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rescuing the victims of the Vista explosion

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Rescuing the victims of the Vista explosion

Quote Originally Posted by warp99
    Because of the requirements of vista and in most cases will require new equipment people may opt for a different OS with similiar features. One thing I can say is when I show family members the eye candy with xgl and compiz they are amazed.

I beleive that you can rescue some people who want cool new features, but don't want to invest the $$$. You have to remember that 21% of Windows users still use Windows 98.
    The percentage is that high?
    Great... I can only imagine the number of zombied machines when there are no longer any MS patches...

Although I guess people can try using someone elses patches... Yet, that sounds like even more trouble...
    The idea of copyright did not exist in ancient times, when authors frequently copied other authors at length in works of non-fiction. This practice was useful, and is the only way many authors' works have survived even in part. -- Richard Stallman

Beans
    Hidden!

isn't vista's eye candy effects going to be annoying to the 'i just want it to work' crowd?

Beans

Then there is no reason to go to Vista because the main difference is the eye candy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by fuscia
    isn't vista's eye candy effects going to be annoying to the 'i just want it to work' crowd?
    yes it is. i'm one of those who don't care about having lots of resource hungy (and useless) animations, fade in/outs of menus, wobbly windows, 3D kaleidoscopic multidimensional animated entities floating around my desktop, blah blah. i like my desktop to look nice.....but seriously, do we really need all this silly eye candy? i think not. my desktop does look nice with a nice toolkit (gtk), nice wallpaper, a nice theme, and a desktop environment thats paid attention to usability, HIG, and nice appearence. thats all it needs. all that useless eye candy doesn't add anything to usability at all. thats why i uninstalled xcompmgr after about a day or 2.
    Last edited by ComplexNumber; May 28th, 2006 at 01:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Vista is just Microsoft's way of polishing a terd. As just as the great prophet Butthead once said, "Ya know Beavis, you can't polish a terd, because no matter how much you polish it, it's still a terd, huh huh huh."
    out of all the distros in teh world. i find ubuntu.
    registered linux user #386074

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Smile Re: Rescuing the victims of the Vista explosion

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexNumber
    yes it is. i'm one of those who don't care about having lots of resource hungy (and useless) animations, fade in/outs of menus, wobbly windows, 3D kaleidoscopic multidimensional animated entities floating around my desktop, blah blah. i like my desktop to look nice.....but seriously, do we really need all this silly eye candy? i think not. my desktop does look nice with a nice toolkit (gtk), nice wallpaper, a nice theme, and a desktop environment thats paid attention to usability, HIG, and nice appearence. thats all it needs. all that useless eye candy doesn't add anything to usability at all. thats why i uninstalled xcompmgr after about a day or 2.
    I have a similar feeling. More power to those who enjoy all that stuff (glad it's available in Linux with reasonable system requirements).

My limit on eye-candy is a semi-transparent terminal and a desklet or 2 (sometimes).

That's what I like about gnome, it's so clean and boring. Seeing all that candy shell stuff with pretty pictures instead of simple buttons and menus...
    Not my thing...

It's my refuge from too much eyecandy, just as GNU/Linux is my refuge from proprietary OS's and the DRM...
    The idea of copyright did not exist in ancient times, when authors frequently copied other authors at length in works of non-fiction. This practice was useful, and is the only way many authors' works have survived even in part. -- Richard Stallman

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RavenOfOdin
    And it took people HOW long to realize this?

When patches were being released through Windows Update and doing as much good as a Depression-era dollar bill - thusly being followed by new patches, and then patches to patch the patches - I knew something was rotten in Denmark.
    All I know is that in 2 years, I've had to install Windows XP only twice. And not because of any virus or other "security" issues.

In short, I don't know what the big deal with XP is. I've been using XP for more than 2 years now, on more than 5 different computers. You use XPs vulnerability as a scarecrow, when in fact it's the wrong usage by people who open dubious email attachments, visit weird websites and install anything that pops up that makes XP "insecure".

Compare to Linux, which I've had to reinstall countless times, most of which were because I wanted to have a clean install, and two of which was because sudo apt-get dist-upgrade broke everything.

So, let's keep the FUD low on this camp too, OK? Thanks.

As for whether Vista's bloat will cause a massive exodus to Ubuntu,
    a) No, why should it? Most people don't even know there's an alternative
    b) No, those who know the alternative don't want to spend time fiddling around to make their wireless work
    c) No, this is only hype by Linux fans.

Ubuntu is an Operating System. It's great, I like it, I use it everyday. If my computer costs $1000, $50 of which is cost for a single-user license, then of course I won't have ANY moral qualm to use something I already paid for, when it makes everything on my computer function.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by intarweb
    You use XPs vulnerability as a scarecrow, when in fact it's the wrong usage by people who open dubious email attachments, visit weird websites and install anything that pops up that makes XP "insecure".

So, let's keep the FUD low on this camp too, OK? Thanks.
    What you call FUD could be called "opinions I don't agree with". That would be a good general rule for handling a discussion.

I don't want to get into this flame, but saying that XP is "made insecure" by "wrong usage" and "weird websites" sound just a little bit biased (or true only in part) to me.

And to keep the flames low, I'll tell you that I've used all Dos/Win versions since Dos 3 and I switched to Linux only a few months ago, so I'm not a linux-rulez-winsucks-geek.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Rescuing the victims of the Vista explosion

Quote Originally Posted by megamania
    What you call FUD could be called "opinions I don't agree with". That would be a good general rule for handling a discussion.

I don't want to get into this flame, but saying that XP is "made insecure" by "wrong usage" and "weird websites" sound just a little bit biased (or true only in part) to me.
    Who's flaming anyway? An opinion you don't agree with is not necessarily a flame.

All I know from my experience (and like you, I started with DOS 3 on a 8086 machine), is that since I started using Linux (Redhat 5.0, kernel 2.0.32), I've quite probably made a lot more reinstalls of Linux than Windows {95,98,98SE,XP}. It's pretty weird:
    DOS/Windows 3.11: never had any viruses
    Windows 95: no viruses ever, but system was really unstable
    Windows 98: one relatively harmless virus between tons of lockups
    Windows XP: no virus, no lock-ups

After this very nice experience with DOS/Windows, what should I say? That it has been a hallucination and that suddenly Linux has solved all of my problems?

And to keep the flames low, I'll tell you that I've used all Dos/Win versions since Dos 3 and I switched to Linux only a few months ago, so I'm not a linux-rulez-winsucks-geek.
    Even if you were, that'd be OK. We're all biased, that's called having an opinion. I understand that people want Ubuntu to become more widely adopted, but we should play fair. I understand that it's easy for grandma X using XP to unknowingly install an virus on XP, and honestly I think Ubuntu is better suited for grandmas

However, for people who need to do some serious work instead of just try out stuff and reinstall everything every couple of weeks, Vista or ANY Windows version >= 98SE fulfills most tasks satisfactorily.

Noone's flaming, but let's keep in mind that being a fanatic is lame. Repeating decade-old misconceptions about Linux vs. Windows more so.

Peace out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by intarweb
    Who's flaming anyway? An opinion you don't agree with is not necessarily a flame.

All I know from my experience (and like you, I started with DOS 3 on a 8086 machine), is that since I started using Linux (Redhat 5.0, kernel 2.0.32), I've quite probably made a lot more reinstalls of Linux than Windows {95,98,98SE,XP}. It's pretty weird:
    DOS/Windows 3.11: never had any viruses
    Windows 95: no viruses ever, but system was really unstable
    Windows 98: one relatively harmless virus between tons of lockups
    Windows XP: no virus, no lock-ups

After this very nice experience with DOS/Windows, what should I say? That it has been a hallucination and that suddenly Linux has solved all of my problems?

Even if you were, that'd be OK. We're all biased, that's called having an opinion. I understand that people want Ubuntu to become more widely adopted, but we should play fair. I understand that it's easy for grandma X using XP to unknowingly install an virus on XP, and honestly I think Ubuntu is better suited for grandmas

However, for people who need to do some serious work instead of just try out stuff and reinstall everything every couple of weeks, Vista or ANY Windows version >= 98SE fulfills most tasks satisfactorily.

Noone's flaming, but let's keep in mind that being a fanatic is lame. Repeating decade-old misconceptions about Linux vs. Windows more so.

Peace out.
    I totally agree.

When it comes to security, the user is the weakest link in the chain. It's every Linux user's dream that one day the Windows crowds will jump ship, but we will rue the day when that happens, because those users are going to bring the "run-as-root-open-all-attachments-install-anything" mentality to Linux.

Everybody talks about the supposedly outrageous hardware requirements for Vista, yet XP runs faster than Ubuntu and I bet that Linux distros will have higher sys-reqs in a year or two, what with GNOME 3.0 and KDE 4. End even now the bloody crappy good-for-nothing gnome magnifier eats 100 % of my CPU when you merely move the mouse a little. But who need accessibility, right ?
    Linux is like a wigwam: no gates, no windows and Apache inside. (Chinese proverb c. 910 B.C.)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast