Page 78 of 137 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

Quote Originally Posted by yabbadabbadont View Post
    You probably need to remove the /etc/vmware directory. It usually gets left behind for some reason.
    That was it! Thanks!
    Recommended Resources: Ubuntu Linux Resources

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

OK, I found the answer to the problem. The problem is the VMware-Player, I had to completely remove it and I had a hell of a time but here is what I did:
    Code:
    $apt-get autoremove vmware-player*
    As soon as that finished, I uninstalled the VMware Server and reinstalled it and it worked again. Hopefully that will help someone!

Quote Originally Posted by DX 00 View Post
    Dude, if you find a solution let me know. I think this has to do with the VMware Playere installation. I read a hint in here.
    http://www.debuntu.org/vmware-server...g-after-reboot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

OK,,,after a week of probing and reading,,I finally found the answer. For all those who have compiled to a 2.6.19 kernal and can't get vmware server back up and running, check out this thread,,,worked for me in 5 minutes

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=334394

Beans
    Hidden!

Possible without x?

Is it possible do the prescripted vmware server install whitout x on my edgy server?

Beans
    Distro

Just installed XP on VMWare server! Thanks for the great HOWTO!

Silly Question: Do I have to install McAfee AV on my XP/VMWare to avoid viruses and such (as if I was using a regular non-VMWare XP box)?

- CH
    Last edited by frogotronic; January 25th, 2007 at 08:28 PM. Reason: spelling
    Linux Registered User #434330

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by cement_head View Post
    Just installed XP on VMWare server! Thanks for the great HOWTO!

Silly Question: Do I have to install McAfee AV on my XP/VMWare to avoid viruses and such (as if I was using a regular non-VMWare XP box)?

- CH
    Hey...great question. I was wondering the same thing, but I was assuming that since it's running on top of Linux, using NAT provided by your Linux box for Internet connection, you should be safe. Not sure though...let's hear what people have to say.
    Play videos on your website - FLV Video Player
    Useful & FREE Scripts -
    Tribulant

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Contrid View Post
    Hey...great question. I was wondering the same thing, but I was assuming that since it's running on top of Linux, using NAT provided by your Linux box for Internet connection, you should be safe. Not sure though...let's hear what people have to say.
    From what I've read when this topic has come up in the past, your windows vm can (and probably will) get infected. Your host linux box would probably be safe, but every time the vm was run, the malware would be running too. I think one of the proposed solutions, other than running AV software in the vm, was to setup the vm with snapshots. You don't initially enable the networking when you install windows. Then once everything is installed correctly, you enable host only networking. This is so that windows will configure its networking settings correctly. You then create a snapshot of this clean vm. Then change the vmware settings so that the vm is rolled back to the snapshot every time you exit. After that, you can enable NAT networking and access the internet as you like. Anything that is done to the vm will be erased when the snapshot is restored on exit. Of course this means that you can't save any new data or install any new programs or anything...

Beans
    Distro

Crap! That what I feared.

Well, that won't do at all. I'm using VMware as a Windows solution on a production machine. I've just installed McAfee VirusScan 8.0i (Enterprise Edition) in the vXP O/S and it seems to run fine. I'll also put Windows Defender on for malware (not the best - but seems to catch most stuff). I'm using the vXP O/S for only a few programmes (not really web based) that absolutely won't install with CrossOver Office 6.0. And, because I have CXO installed - Windows binaries (*.exe) files will execute.

So, I feel safer with the virus scan - even though all the major problems are platform (MS) based.

- CH

Beans
    Distro

I never used CrossOver Office so I'm not sure about this. But if because of CrossOver your linux machine will now recognize .exe files, shouldn't you also install an antivirus on linux?

My understanding is that linux is relatively safe from .exe-based viruses because .exe don't run in linux. In this case however...

Beans
    Distro

Hi,.

You're correct. But, Linux network security is far better than the "open door" MS O/S's, so the chance of a virus targeting a Linux box is almost nill (this from our work IT guys). It could happen, but unlikely. I do have ClamAV installed on Ubuntu and I do use Firestarter as a firewall GUI.

Plus CXO ALWAYS asks before it executes a Windows Binary - something that de facto provides a layer of protection against self-executing files. This "ask" policy might be inherent to Linux...

- CH

Page 78 of 137 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128 ... LastLast