Thread: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

Quote Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
    hello, for me simple copy&paste works
    I quote myself to correct:

copy&paste from Ubuntu to XP virtual machine do not work (I'm sure it did the first time I installed it... and I was not drunk I swear ) but then I solved by sharing a folder in Ubuntu that I can browse from emulated XP.

It works fine
    Last edited by chinaski; March 5th, 2007 at 11:12 PM. Reason: better formatting

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Windows run from inside VMWare doesn't recognise my screen as being widescreen, what can i do?
    Last edited by olieviya; March 6th, 2007 at 01:01 PM. Reason: typo
    +_+

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by olieviya View Post
    Windows run from inside VMWare doesn't recognise my screen as being widescreen, what can i do?
    I had the same problem, I solved the issue using the method mentioned on page 2 of this thread. You have to edit the windows registry.
    Recommended Resources: Ubuntu Linux Resources

Beans

Hi all,

I installed VMware last night on my Ubuntu and run a fresh copy of XP through it. All works well but the internet through XP is not working and yet it is fine through Ubuntu (as is everything else ). How do I get the internet through VMware working on XP, all I really want it for is skype video calls to overseas ( i know about other VOIP's but it is the other side that are older and stuck in their ways...)

Thanks,

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Do you get an error message when xp is loading in vmware? Something with the words vmnet# ? If yes, then you need to reconfigure vmware and this time select 'yes' when it asks about networking set up.
    Recommended Resources: Ubuntu Linux Resources

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by soffdarbau View Post
    Hi all,

I installed VMware last night on my Ubuntu and run a fresh copy of XP through it. All works well but the internet through XP is not working and yet it is fine through Ubuntu (as is everything else ). How do I get the internet through VMware working on XP, all I really want it for is skype video calls to overseas ( i know about other VOIP's but it is the other side that are older and stuck in their ways...)

Thanks,
    Isn't there a linux version of skype?

Otherwise, yeah, what he said - you need to setup virtual networking. Bridged would be easiest for one vm.
    Veloce
    Ubuntu 9.04 64bit on Dell Vostro 1510, Core2 Duo T8100, Nvidia 8400M , Intel 1395 Wireless.
    OK: Wireless, kvm, Canon irc2880, Synergy.

Beans

The options under Hardware in the VM settings are grayed out. Any reason for this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Something I ran across ...

I followed this HOWTO to get VMWare and XP running -- it works great! However I was unable to get WindowsUpdate to run. It would always error out with error 0x8007227 or something like that. Basically it blamed proxy settings.

The fix was to set the Windows XP MTU setting to match that of the Ubuntu host machine. In my case that was a size of 1492.
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{SomeDamnInterfaceCode}]

"MTU"=dword:000005d4

Beans

I want to install windows xp and ubuntu on vmware but do I have to reinstall windows xp if its already on my computer or can I just put it on the vmware to boot with ubuntu. Also if I install this does ubuntu and windows xp start everytime together or will I have a choice with dual boot still.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi everyone,
    I installed today vmware-server to my ubuntu server and installation gone fine.
    I can also make a new virtual machine and boot it up, but problems start when
    I try install windows xp on it. Keyboard is not detected because I can't press Enter to Install
    or press ctrl-alt to escape from virtual machine. I use my server via nomachine nx-client is that the problem,if it's, is there any solutions for that.

thanks,
    -markus

Page 91 of 137 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast