Page 11 of 137 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

Quote Originally Posted by bluevoodoo1
    Does anyone have any ideas how to remedy this?
    yes I also had this problem. the problem was a directory that was left on the computer after the uninstall. I can't remember exactly but I think it might have been /etc/vmware Once I removed this directory (and the single file within it called 'locations' ) the install continued file. Try this

sudo rm -r /etc/vmware

Beans

Follow this tutorial. Work great!! Including the Internet. Now, is there a way to transfer data from the Xp in VMware to my ubuntu? Because I use photoshop in the XP. (I find GIMP hard to use and lacking some features.)

Beans

What is the difference in performence between vmplayer and vmware server?
    WARNING : Post with explicit contents
    Join to "STOP monolithic all-in-one unmanageable application"
    The wiki is your friend https://help.ubuntu.com/community/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dorts
    Follow this tutorial. Work great!! Including the Internet. Now, is there a way to transfer data from the Xp in VMware to my ubuntu? Because I use photoshop in the XP. (I find GIMP hard to use and lacking some features.)
    You will have to share them via samba

Beans

givre...does that mean via samba i can use vmware to access programs on my existing XP install?
    It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sq322
    givre...does that mean via samba i can use vmware to access programs on my existing XP install?
    Yeh sq322, what a surprise, you are everywhere
    I guess you could be able to run some apps (never try it), but remember that you are limited by a 10Mb transfer (vmware virtuallize a real network card), so i guess it will not work well for a majority of apps (you can run at least notpad or paint ).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by givré
    Yeh sq322, what a surprise, you are everywhere
    I guess you could be able to run some apps (never try it), but remember that you are limited by a 10Mb transfer (vmware virtuallize a real network card), so i guess it will not work well for a majority of apps (you can run at least notpad or paint ).
    almost as many places as you are \
    Thx again for the 411
    It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between

Beans

Can't create vmware virtual machine

I've installed everything but when I run vmware I can not create a virtual machine. The only option in the GUI is to "Connect to a host". Most all other VMWare Server Console GUI options are greyed out. I tried running "vmware" as root but this did not do anything.

Any ideas what to look for?

I'm running the latest Ubuntu. I have no problem with other applications or compiling/installing in general.

Beans

Re: Can't create vmware virtual machine

Can anyone help me with samba? How do you share files with my vmware Xp and ubuntu?

Beans

givré: VMWare server is more full-featured, VMPlayer is intended for demos and self-contained images.

tmastran - VMServer requires that you 'connect' to the Server management console. You can choose to connect to 'localhost' using your normal username and password.

dorts - There are various threads about Samba, that will work for your XP virtual machine. It will need an IP address obviously, so make sure that the virtual machine has a network card 'installed'.

If you select the VMXNet driver, you should be able to 'set up' a 1Gbps network card. The added benefit of having virtual machines on the same host machine is that the host machine's network card is never actually utilized - file transfers and such actually occur at FSB speeds. The limiting factor will be the speed of the host machine HD, as it will be saturated transferring files long before the network card throughput is saturated.

Page 11 of 137 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast