Page 98 of 137 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

i installed vmware using this howto and works perfect!!!
    heavy apps like photoshop, coreldraw are working smooth and with no slowing down even in full screen!!!
    now i can say that i have finally run perfect winblows xp on my ubuntu box.

my pc is a intel core2duo 6300 with 2gb ram. the settings i gave in the vitual session is 512mb ram, two cpu's
    (yes you can give two cpu's if you have a dual core cpu), allocated the disk image space (about 15gb) to
    run faster the virtual session and finally install the vmware tools after the win xp installation.

with this options (and of course the intel core2duo cpu) winblows xp run in native speed and never slowing down!!!

the intel core2duo cpu is important because intel (and amd in the new 64 cpu's) are included in the cpu command's (sorry about my english)
    some command's for vitualisation performance support.
    and this performance support are using vmware to get this great native speed.

don't search anything else... if you want to run any (and i mean it, ANY) winblows app in ubuntu with
    the native speed, vmware is what you need.

i try also wine, but forget the heavy apps like photoshop. wine is goot for winamp and some like lightweight
    apps.

i also try win4lin (cost's about 60 euro's), the installation was ok but the performance are poor even i the
    pure environment of winblows, even the mouse pointer was moving slow.
    win4lin uses the kqemu emulator (closed alternative from qemu with better performance), it is a software
    emulator and don't use any hardware performance issues (like intel core2duo cpu).

and last some notes:
    -for your local network give the bridget option and not NAT.
    give a ip from the winblows tcp/ip options to get it to the network.

-to share files install and setup samba in ubuntu with your prefered options.
    and please take care that you must config iptables to allow samba go thru.
    if you don't that, you can't see the ubuntu shares (this took me two hours to figure it out).

Beans

Here's an odd question for y'all.

You've heard of those WIndows XP Portable installations? The ones that are designed to run on a USB stick? Most are stripped down to be less that 200MB.

Is it possible to get one running in VMWare, either directly from the USB drive or (preferably) installed to the virtual disk?

Beans

To those of you having issues in Feisty with the vmmon module (mcmonster? too lazy to go back and check)

download and run the "any-any" patch which can be found here: http://knihovny.cvut.cz/ftp/pub/vmware/

as of 17-04-2007 the direct link would be http://knihovny.cvut.cz/ftp/pub/vmwa...date109.tar.gz

Now your vmware will work perfectly fine. Well, it did for me (7.04 i386)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Thanks for the help. I'm still having problems, though. :
    Code:
    $ sudo ./runme.pl 
    Updating /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl ... now patched
    Updating /usr/bin/vmware ... No patch needed/available
    Updating /usr/bin/vmnet-bridge ... No patch needed/available
    Updating /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx ... No patch needed/available
    Updating /usr/lib/vmware/bin-debug/vmware-vmx ... No patch needed/available
    VMware modules in "/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source" has been updated.

Before running VMware for the first time after update, you need to configure it 
    for your running kernel by invoking the following command: 
    "/usr/bin/vmware-config.pl". Do you want this script to invoke the command for 
    you now? [yes] 

Making sure services for VMware Server are stopped.

Stopping VMware services:
       Virtual machine monitor                                             done

Configuring fallback GTK+ 2.4 libraries.

In which directory do you want to install the mime type icons? 
    [/usr/share/icons] 

What directory contains your desktop menu entry files? These files have a 
    .desktop file extension. [/usr/share/applications] 

In which directory do you want to install the application's icon? 
    [/usr/share/pixmaps] 

Trying to find a suitable vmmon module for your running kernel.

None of the pre-built vmmon modules for VMware Server is suitable for your 
    running kernel.  Do you want this program to try to build the vmmon module for 
    your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)? [yes] 

Using compiler "/usr/bin/gcc-3.4". Use environment variable CC to override.

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
    kernel? [/lib/modules/2.6.20-15-generic/build/include] 

Extracting the sources of the vmmon module.

Building the vmmon module.

Building for VMware Server 1.0.0.
    Using 2.6.x kernel build system.
    make: Entering directory `/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only'
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.20-15-generic/build/include/.. SUBDIRS=$PWD SRCROOT=$PWD/. modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.20-15-generic'
      CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o
      CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/hostif.o
      CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/common/cpuid.o
      CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/common/hash.o
      CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/common/memtrack.o
      CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/common/phystrack.o
      CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/common/task.o
    cc1plus: warning: command line option "-Wdeclaration-after-statement" is valid for C/ObjC but not for C++
    cc1plus: warning: command line option "-Wno-pointer-sign" is valid for C/ObjC but not for C++
    cc1plus: warning: command line option "-Wstrict-prototypes" is valid for Ada/C/ObjC but not for C++
    cc1plus: warning: command line option "-ffreestanding" is valid for C/ObjC but not for C++
    /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h: In function ‘int Vmx86_RunVM(VMCrossPage*, VMDriver*) [with VMCrossPage = VMCrossPageV321]’:
    /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:1522: warning: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::rsp’ is used uninitialized in this function
    /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:1523: warning: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::rip’ is used uninitialized in this function
    /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:2073: warning: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::validEIP’ may be used uninitialized in this function
    /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:2073: warning: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::cs’ may be used uninitialized in this function
    /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h: In function ‘int Vmx86_RunVM(VMCrossPage*, VMDriver*) [with VMCrossPage = VMCrossPageV3]’:
    /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:1522: warning: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::rsp’ is used uninitialized in this function
    /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:1523: warning: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::rip’ is used uninitialized in this function
    /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:2073: warning: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::validEIP’ may be used uninitialized in this function
    /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:2073: warning: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::cs’ may be used uninitialized in this function
    /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h: In function ‘int Vmx86_RunVM(VMCrossPage*, VMDriver*) [with VMCrossPage = VMCrossPageGSX1]’:
    /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h: In function ‘int Vmx86_RunVM(VMCrossPage*, VMDriver*) [with VMCrossPage = VMCrossPageV2]’:
    /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h: In function ‘int Vmx86_RunVM_V4(VMDriver*, Vcpuid) [with VMCrossPage = VMCrossPageV4]’:
    /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:2073: warning: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::rsp’ may be used uninitialized in this function
    /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:2073: warning: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::rip’ may be used uninitialized in this function
    /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h: In function ‘int Vmx86_RunVM(VMDriver*, Vcpuid)’:
    /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:2073: warning: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::rsp’ may be used uninitialized in this function
    /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:2073: warning: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::rip’ may be used uninitialized in this function
    /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h: In function ‘void Task_Switch_V45(VMDriver*, Vcpuid)’:
    /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:1713: warning: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::validEIP’ may be used uninitialized in this function
    /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:1713: warning: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::cs’ may be used uninitialized in this function
    /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:1713: warning: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::rsp’ may be used uninitialized in this function
    /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:1713: warning: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::rip’ may be used uninitialized in this function
      CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/common/vmx86.o
      CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/vmcore/compat.o
      CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/vmcore/moduleloop.o
      LD [M]  /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/vmmon.o
      Building modules, stage 2.
      MODPOST 1 modules
      CC      /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/vmmon.mod.o
      LD [M]  /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/vmmon.ko
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.20-15-generic'
    cp -f vmmon.ko ./../vmmon.o
    make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only'
    The module loads perfectly in the running kernel.

mknod: `/dev/vmmon': File exists
    Unable to create the character device /dev/vmmon with major number 10 and minor
    number 165.

Execution aborted.

$ ls -l /dev/vmmon
    ls: /dev/vmmon: No such file or directory
    $
    1. Intel Core 2 Duo E4500, ASUS P5L-VM 1394, GeForce 8600GT (PCI-e), WinTV PVR-150
    2. AMD Athlon 64 3500+, ACER FC51GM/Foxconn 6150K8MA-8EKRS, NVidia GeForce 6100, Netgear WG311T

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I take my previous post back. I ran the same command in the same window again, and the second time it worked. (*shrug*)

P.S. Works fine! Thanks!
    1. Intel Core 2 Duo E4500, ASUS P5L-VM 1394, GeForce 8600GT (PCI-e), WinTV PVR-150
    2. AMD Athlon 64 3500+, ACER FC51GM/Foxconn 6150K8MA-8EKRS, NVidia GeForce 6100, Netgear WG311T

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi there. I just installed VMWare Server on Ubuntu version 6.10
    Everything runs smooth on installation. But..when i go to run it, i see it starting in the little bar at the bottom of the screen, but it goes away and never comes back. So i check the process at it says its running :S
    Can anybody help me?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Type "vmware" in a terminal and post the output. If it isn't starting that should show what the errors are.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

this is what came up
    /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware: /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libpng12.so.0/libpng12.so.0: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Well, now we know what may be causing the problem but I don't have a clue how to fix that. I was hoping for a permission problem or something easy.

Maybe wait and see if anyone else has any ideas.

Here is a thread that might help http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=408559
    Last edited by m.musashi; April 18th, 2007 at 01:00 AM. Reason: add link

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hey BrownKnight, I was stuck at the same problem and that fixed it for me, Thanks!

So I decided to add it to my 'howto' and right there in black n white was same thing. I'd be embarrassed but I'm getting used to it now.
    Ubuntu User # 10657
    ATI X600 on Dell 515m 3ghz cpu

Page 98 of 137 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108 ... LastLast