Page 97 of 137 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Smile Re: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

Awesome guide!

Thanks so much for taking the time to make this. It helped me a lot. I don't think I would have been able to do this without it.
    "This is the Earth. And this is Pinky. You can tell the difference quite easily. One is a lump of inert matter hurtling blindly through the void. The other... is the Earth." -- Brain talking about Pinky

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

I just got the same error as mmcmonster on feisty. Has anyone succeeded in installing vmware server for feisty?
    If you torture data hard enough, they will confess to anything

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by David Valentine View Post
    I just got the same error as mmcmonster on feisty. Has anyone succeeded in installing vmware server for feisty?
    I found some information in this thread...

http://www.vmware.com/community/thre...71986&tstart=0

The any-any update is at 109 now, and there is a link in the thread to another thread that sheds some more light.

This got me further than the first error, however, I still have not been able to install it fully. If someone with fiesty follows the link I posted and gets it to work, please post back

-Jason

i am running feisty and vm ware works perfectly. However, I only have Xubuntu and Fedora Core 6 in it, so if the errors are related to having windows, i wouldn't know.
    Edit: sorry im running vbox, not vm ware...
    Last edited by absol_of_doom; April 12th, 2007 at 12:16 AM.
    Somebody said, "If you've got it you got it, if you don't you don't." That person was dead wrong.

Beans

I'm running Edgy and trying to get this to work.

What is running vmware supposed to do? Running the application from the menu just exits, so I ran the command-line. Initially, I got the errors about libpng.so and copied in gcc.so and libpng.so libs into the vmware/lib dir.

Now, when I run vmware it just sits there. Nothing happens. I cannot ctrl-C out of it, either?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by bluevoodoo1 View Post
    Does anyone have any ideas how to remedy this?
    Im having the same problem too. Dont know how to remove the prior install. I removed it via sudo apt-get remove and also went into synaptic to totally remove vmware-player.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by brownknight View Post
    Im having the same problem too. Dont know how to remove the prior install. I removed it via sudo apt-get remove and also went into synaptic to totally remove vmware-player.
    Found the answer: sudo rm -r /etc/vmware
    This folder was left after the uninstall. After removing it, installation went on without a problem.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gharz View Post
    i've been looking for the previous posts who experience the same problem with mine...

A previous installation of VMware software has been detected.

Failure

Execution aborted.

but i don't see any answer how to fix it.

initially, i installed vmware-player from synaptic until i found this forum. i removed vmware-player again from synaptic (complete removal) but i'm still getting the same message.

hope you could help me. i don't want to re-install my ubuntu because of this error message. i want my ubuntu to be the default OS on my laptop. windows is too bloated.

please help.
    Had the same problem. Did this below:
    sudo rm -r /etc/vmware
    This folder was left after the uninstall. After removing it, installation went on without a problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by mlind View Post
    Very nice guide, thanks!

I've been keen for some time to try VMWare on Ubuntu, but didn't have nerve to do
    it yet.

I guess it's out of question to use already installed XP on VMWare ?
    I haven't read the entire thread, but there's the VMWare Convertor tool that will convert your existing XP Machine into a VMWare machine so that you can "take it with you" after you switch the machine to Ubuntu.

It's actually exactly perfect for what I believe you're looking for. I haven't tried it yet, but HowToForge has a howto on it. lemme know if you can't find the link. please post your experience here

Beans

I followed these instructions on the first page of this thread and all went well until I went to create a Virtual Machine. While creating my virtual disk the machines freezes up around 30-35% and I have to do a hard shut down/reboot in order to get it back. Any ideas on why this is happening?

Page 97 of 137 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107 ... LastLast