Page 50 of 137 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

Actually, you can use many usb devices via Windows XP from VMWare. I have a cheap scanner that doesn't work fully in Linux -- due to some of the features being in software. I can connect the device via VMWare and use the XP USB driver from there. I scan into an SMB share on my ubuntu box using GIMP 2.0 in XP under VMWare. It's a good way to support crappy USB devices until they get a proper driver.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

I trying to load my XP Home partition (/dev/hda1) with vmWare but after the grub choice for XP in vmware I get a bsod screen (too quick to catch the screenshot) and the virtualization reload. I think something related to the HD or to the video card...
    ------------------------------------------------
    yep ”short and long URL„
    http://yep.it/

Beans

One question. I dont know if anyone has asked this before, but i was wondering can i use my current windows installation? I.e. installed on c

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by chester View Post
    I just finished installing the vmware server, the installation couldn't have been easier, everything as far as i could tell went off without a hitch. however, when i try to open it from system tools it get:

Could not launch menu item

Details: Failed to execute child process "vmware" (No such file or directory)

any idea where i went wrong and how i can fix it,

thanks in advance
    I have that same problem. I tried to reinstall/uninstall, and now it's all buggered up. How do I do a clean uninstall then reinstall? I tried the uninstall pl script but it couldn't find it. I also tried deleting /etc/vmware, but it still had files on there when I tried to reinstall.

Now, it tries to start VMWare Server Console, then disappears and does nothing...any ideas on how to fix this up? I really need it

Beans

Hi, i don't know if it has been covered in this guide (it's quite long and i don't fancy reading it all), but i installed vmware player the other day and had major problems with it.

As soon as the system would boot up the vmware player services were using all of my available ram and swap space.... is it meant to do this?

I'd like to install vmware server so that i can get windows working inside my linux but i don't want to have the same problems i had with player.

Is player meant to be the same thing as server or does it have different uses?

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 6.06

I doubt it's meant to hog that much. How much RAM do you have? If at least 512mb, then something is wrong.

I can't even GET VMWare Server to uninstall, so I can reinstall it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by kaks View Post
    One question. I dont know if anyone has asked this before, but i was wondering can i use my current windows installation? I.e. installed on c

thanks
    Yes you can, but yuo must aware of two important things:

1) when you see the grub menu in the virtulizator be very careful to do not load your linux prtition

2) You must set the disk geometry in grub and with kernel 2.6.x it is very hard to know what is the proper disk geometry, hdparm result is incorrect

There is a a guide for Gentoo, but you can find very helpful.

http://yep.it/?pinmwj
    yep ”short and long URL„
    http://yep.it/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kendals View Post
    I doubt it's meant to hog that much. How much RAM do you have? If at least 512mb, then something is wrong.

I can't even GET VMWare Server to uninstall, so I can reinstall it
    I have 2gb of ram on this machine, it's a 2.6ghz athlon xp and the cpu is maxed out as soon as i log in with vmware player installed.

I uninstalled it and everything went back to normal. I don't want to install vmware server and have the same issues because from what i can tell it isn't as easy to get rid of.

Could somebody here tell me the difference between player and server?

Thanks
    Andrew

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 6.06

Yeah, that's my problem too. I installed VMWare Server, it stuffed up, and now I can't uninstall and reinstall it cleanly :'(

Beans
    Hidden!

Smile Re: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

Running windows from an existing installtion turned out to be quite easy.
    I have 2 different hard drives; /dev/hda is windows; /dev/hdb is Ubuntu. Mostly I run Ubuntu but for some stuff I need Windows. Most of the time I run the existing windows in VMWARE using the dedicated disk. It works perfectly:

- Start Windows dedicated and create a new hardware profile (called vmware of something)
    - Start again dedicated, now with the vmware hardware profile. Replace the IDE-drivers with the Windows Standard IDE drivers. If you don't, windows won't start in Vmware.

In Linux in VMware, just use an existing disk instead of diskfiles. (don't know about Windows and Ubuntu on 1 disk, should be about the same)

I'm working like this for about 3 moths now; it works perfectly. I'm using my old windows installation still

Good luck!

Page 50 of 137 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast