Page 49 of 137 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

I just installed an XP Professional VM - awesome! Good-bye dual boot - thanks for the quide!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

stuff XP I just installed Mac OSX in mine

Beans
    Hidden!

I just followed the guide, and got this:

The path "/home/karl/doc/vmware" does not exist currently. This program is
    going to create it, including needed parent directories. Is this what you want?
    [yes]

Unable to get the access rights of source file "./vmware-vix/bin".

Execution aborted.

karl@karl-desktop:/tmp/vmware-server-distrib$

any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by krowlands View Post
    I just followed the guide, and got this:

The path "/home/karl/doc/vmware" does not exist currently. This program is
    going to create it, including needed parent directories. Is this what you want?
    [yes]

Unable to get the access rights of source file "./vmware-vix/bin".

Execution aborted.

karl@karl-desktop:/tmp/vmware-server-distrib$

any ideas?
    I had the same error message and found the answer in the forums of vmware
    www.vmware.com/community
    When you were asked where you wanted to install the binary files, you appear to have given your home directory /home/karl/ if I remember correctly you have to make that /home/karl/bin

Check out the vmware forum and good luck, there are possible more surprises in store!!

Beans

This VMware works great I think it runs good so far at first a little jerky but now it is awsom it works fine I bet you could run a game I will try later feel free to E-Mail I can tell you if it worked or you can try it your self...

Beans

I just finished installing the vmware server, the installation couldn't have been easier, everything as far as i could tell went off without a hitch. however, when i try to open it from system tools it get:

Could not launch menu item

Details: Failed to execute child process "vmware" (No such file or directory)

any idea where i went wrong and how i can fix it,

thanks in advance

Beans

Has anyone had any success in installing VMServer in Ubuntu 64-bit? I've tried but I cannot get past this message when I try to boot:

Will not boot:

Unable to change virtual machine power state: The process exited with an error:
    /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx: error while loading shared libraries: libXrender.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    End of error message.

Please could someone publish some advice on getting VMWare Server working in 64-bit ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Question Re: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

I managed to install vmware server on kubuntu 6.06 however I cannot launch it via K-system-Vmware server console.

I get the following error message, KDEinit could not launch vmware: could not find vmware executable.

I have also tried via the command line using sudo vmware, the reply is command not found.

I installed vmware to my home directory /home/fiona/vmware

total 28
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2006-08-27 11:20 bin
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2006-08-26 19:33 doc
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2006-08-26 19:33 include
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 2006-08-27 11:27 lib
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2006-08-26 19:33 man
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2006-08-27 11:21 sbin
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2006-08-26 19:33 share

Can anyone tell me what's going wrong?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

First I tried using archive manager to extract the files, and noticed the installation file was missing, so I went for the command line.

If I run tar as normal user, then ALL files I'll say "cannot utimeperation not permitted". Weird...

Code:
    sudo tar -xf VMware-server-1.0.1-29996.tar.gz
    I get...

Code:
    tar: vmware-server-distrib/lib/perl5/man/man3/XML\:\:DOM.3.gz: Cannot open: Invalid argument
    tar: vmware-server-distrib/lib/perl5/man/man3/XML\:\:Parser.3.gz: Cannot open: Invalid argument
    tar: vmware-server-distrib/lib/perl5/man/man3/XML\:\:Parser\:\:Expat.3.gz: Cannot open: Invalid argument
    tar: vmware-server-distrib/lib/perl5/man/man3/XML\:\:Sablotron.3.gz: Cannot open: Invalid argument
    tar: vmware-server-distrib/lib/lib/libpam.so.0/libpam.so: Cannot create symlink to `libpam.so.0.81.2': Operation not permitted
    tar: vmware-server-distrib/lib/lib/libpam.so.0/libpam.so.0: Cannot create symlink to `libpam.so.0.81.2': Operation not permitted
    tar: vmware-server-distrib/lib/lib/libpam.so.0/libpam_misc.so: Cannot create symlink to `libpam_misc.so.0.81.2': Operation not permitted
    tar: vmware-server-distrib/lib/lib/libpam.so.0/libpam_misc.so.0: Cannot create symlink to `libpam_misc.so.0.81.2': Operation not permitted
    tar: vmware-server-distrib/lib/lib/libpam.so.0/libpamc.so: Cannot create symlink to `libpamc.so.0.81.0': Operation not permitted
    tar: vmware-server-distrib/lib/lib/libpam.so.0/libpamc.so.0: Cannot create symlink to `libpamc.so.0.81.0': Operation not permitted
    tar: vmware-server-distrib/lib/lib/libpam.so.0/security/pam_unix_acct.so: Cannot create symlink to `pam_unix.so': Operation not permitted
    tar: vmware-server-distrib/lib/lib/libpam.so.0/security/pam_unix_auth.so: Cannot create symlink to `pam_unix.so': Operation not permitted
    tar: vmware-server-distrib/lib/lib/libpam.so.0/security/pam_unix_passwd.so: Cannot create symlink to `pam_unix.so': Operation not permitted
    tar: vmware-server-distrib/lib/lib/libpam.so.0/security/pam_unix_session.so: Cannot create symlink to `pam_unix.so': Operation not permitted
    tar: vmware-server-distrib/vmware-vix/lib/libvmware-vix.so.0: Cannot create symlink to `libvmware-vix.so.0.0.0': Operation not permitted
    tar: vmware-server-distrib/vmware-vix/lib/libvmware-vix.so: Cannot create symlink to `libvmware-vix.so.0': Operation not permitted
    tar: vmware-server-distrib/vmware-install.pl: Cannot create symlink to `bin/vmware-uninstall.pl': Operation not permitted
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
    I still get "operation not permitted" for some files, but with completely different error. Ok, so I guess this superuser is not that super. What do you guys reckon? Should I recklessly disregard the invalid arguments, create the symlinks by hand and proceed?

PS: This is clearly an issue with tar, but since it came up while trying to follow the HOWTO, please bear with me if I seem a bit off topic..

Beans

Did someone try to play games using Windows under vmware? Does someone know if I can play lineage2 using vmware and Windows XP?

Page 49 of 137 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast