Page 41 of 137 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

Beans

Re: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

If you have the beta version then it will expire, mine did. Just download the 1.0 release version of VMWare Server, then get a new serial number and set it back up.
    I got me a a new key but I cant enter in VMware Server Console, it says I cant enter cuz Im not the administrator.

How do I enter the new key before vmware expires?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by marianoi View Post
    For some reason I had problem installing a virtual machine if I ran "vmware" so I always do:

sudo vmware

to run it as a super user (correct me if this is not a good policy please)
    Hmm.. what directory are the virtual machines being installed into? if i recall earlier in the howto, the author installs them into user's home directories. perhaps the directory you are using requires sudo while the home directory does not?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mekas2024 View Post
    Hello people, after look for a while on the net and not get an answare of how to make work my sound on VWware running windows xp pro, well i found how to make it and will work 4 everyone!!

you just need to kill the esd process... u can kill it from a terminal with:
    sudo killall esd or from system monitor ending the process called esd.

After this u can initialize ur vmachine and will work fine, then when u want sound on ubuntu again u need to disconect the sound device from the virtua machine u can do this from the menu:

VM -> Removable Devices -> Sound Adapter -> Disconect

after doing that u gotta re initialize the esd process in ubuntu, u can do this by ALT+F2 and then writte esd

Sound a little bit complicated , but its not and also its the only way that i found to do it .

Well... anyway i recomend to dont use sound on the host OS because this its a waist of resources!! u dont need sound for the little things that u do in Windooozz

Well C yaa later people

Viva Mexxxico!!!

Regards

MeKaS

MeKaS - you are a star! Thanks for this tip. My Ubuntu sound continues to work even after killall esd 8)
    No longer participating......

Beans

Solved my problem:

I am using Drake x64 and Vmware Server. Everything was working fine until the update of a couple of days ago. Using 2.6.15-26-amd64-generic I now have problems whenever I restart my computer.
    Going to Synaptic:Status:Not installed (residual config)

I found traces of a Vmware Player install I thought were gone.

Deleting the traces eliminated my needing to reconfig each time I rebooted.

Beans
    Hidden!

Here's a little script I wrote that helps to overcome two issues with vmware namely parallel port and sound. On my ubuntu 6.06 this sorts these two issues out, e.g. gives a vm access to the parallel port and enables sound. it will ask you for sudo password, but you have got used to that

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    foo=`gksudo -u root -k -m "enter your password for sudo command" /bin/echo "Do you have root access?"`
    sudo rmmod lp
    killall esd
    vmware
    Copy this code to a text file and name it vmready.sh or whatever.
    Set as executable and then link to your VMware launcher and you are good to go

Also something else that works - Wireless USB adapter in XP vm. Yes, after installing XP as a VM on Ubuntu, and using the bridged networking to access the net, I though I would try a usb wireless adapter. So I disabled the VM network "NIC", installed the drivers in Xp for the wusb nic, and lo and behold it connected up to a wireless network in my locale, giving me internet access via a different route, totally unconnected to my main system. Note: the wusb nic was in no way setup or autodetected by my Ubuntu host (uses prism2_usb).
    Last edited by Jose Catre-Vandis; August 8th, 2006 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Added Wireless USB experience in VM
    No longer participating......

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Hey I have a question. Could I install the laptop version of Windows XP on VMWARE?

Beans

what the bloody blinking hell
    none of the serial numbers work for the thing ~_________~

-============================-
    so um
    i went back to the page a number of times
    and eventually the serial worked for some reason
    ive no idea why ~_~
    gawd i hope i dont get emails for all the times i signed up !___________!
    installing windows now though

mm ok windows installed
    very laggy :/
    ive noticed that im having a hard time getting the usb bit to work... though i set it up as per this thread
    anyone get itunes + ipod to work via vmware ?
    Last edited by starscalling; August 8th, 2006 at 03:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thanks a ton! Worked like a charm on a (nearly) fresh Drake installation.

Also, they now just give you the key on their site, right after you register. I haven't gotten an email from them yet

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Great guide, thanks.

I've installed XP but I've vmware crash my entire system (6.0.6 2.6.15-26-686) a few times now. Has anyone else had similar issues or know of a fix?

Beans

I followed this guide and was able to successfully install and use VMWare Server. But now I want to remove it completely. I ran the vmware-uninstall.pl script and it says that VMWare Server was removed successfully. However, I can still find traces of vmware in my system, notably in /usr/bin and /usr/lib. So how do I completely remove all traces of vmware?

Thanks!

Page 41 of 137 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast