Page 23 of 137 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

I was able to install the server on a machine where I keep my files, and on my laptop I installed the vmware-server-console. I can connect up fine, create the machine, but when I turn it on I get

Error during launch: 11, The process exited with an error:
    End of error message

When I check the /var/log/vmware/serverd.log I see...

Jun 28 19:07:08: app| SP: Retrieved username: endwin
    Jun 28 19:07:11: app| Adding to list of running vms: /var/lib/vmware/machines/Windows 2000 Professional/Windows 2000 Professional.vmx
    Jun 28 19:07:11: app| Attempting to launch vmx : /var/lib/vmware/machines/Windows 2000 Professional/Windows 2000 Professional.vmx
    Jun 28 19:07:11: app| Error during launch: 11, The process exited with an error:
    Jun 28 19:07:11: app| End of error message
    Jun 28 19:07:11: app| VmsdVmStatePendingCmdFailed: cmd status is already set
    Jun 28 19:39:46: app| Attempting to launch vmx : /var/lib/vmware/machines/Windows 2000 Professional/Windows 2000 Professional.vmx
    Jun 28 19:39:46: app| Error during launch: 11, The process exited with an error:
    Jun 28 19:39:46: app| End of error message
    Jun 28 19:39:46: app| VmsdVmStatePendingCmdFailed: cmd status is already set
    Jun 28 19:39:50: app| vmdbPipe_Streams Couldn't read: OVL_STATUS_EOF
    Jun 28 19:39:50: app| SP: Deleting user session: 0 username: endwin
    Jun 28 19:40:08: app| New connection on socket server-vmdb from host 192.168.0.3 (ip address: 192.168.0.3) , user: endwin
    Jun 28 19:40:08: app| SP: New user session for user: endwin, pos: 0
    Jun 28 19:40:08: app| The vm-list file has changed! Reloading the list of registered vms
    Jun 28 19:40:10: app| SP: Retrieved username: endwin
    Jun 28 19:40:15: app| Attempting to launch vmx : /var/lib/vmware/machines/Windows 2000 Professional/Windows 2000 Professional.vmx
    Jun 28 19:40:15: app| Error during launch: 11, The process exited with an error:
    Jun 28 19:40:15: app| End of error message
    Jun 28 19:40:15: app| VmsdVmStatePendingCmdFailed: cmd status is already set
    Jun 28 19:40:25: app| vmdbPipe_Streams Couldn't read: OVL_STATUS_EOF
    Jun 28 19:40:25: app| SP: Deleting user session: 0 username: endwin

Any idea on what needs to me modified/installed/whatever?

Beans

Question Re: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

Trying to install vmware server on ubuntu 6.06 server, getting error about liX11.so.6 and invalid serial number.

/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx: error while loading shared libraries: libX11.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Please enter your 20-character serial number.

- typed in serial number -

/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx: error while loading shared libraries: libX11.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    The serial number xxxxx is invalid.

Please enter your 20-chararcter serial number.

- repeat ad infinitum

Also, during install/configure got:

libX11.so.6 => not found
    libXtst.so.6 => not found
    libXext.so.6 => not found
    libXt.so.6 => not found
    libICE.so.6 => not found
    libXrender.so.1 => not found

Any help would be appreciated, cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Talking Re: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

I got the vmware to work and I can boot to my Windows partition.Thanks for that mate
    One thing I noticed was that I had Jagged Alliance 2 installed on in windows and it seems to work through vmware. It works smooth as well. It might be that it works through Wine as well but I dont know. My verision is the latest v.1.13 which has lots of cool updates

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by nudaz
    Trying to install vmware server on ubuntu 6.06 server, getting error about liX11.so.6 and invalid serial number.

Please enter your 20-character serial number.

- typed in serial number -

The serial number xxxxx is invalid.

Please enter your 20-chararcter serial number.

- repeat ad infinitum

Also, during install/configure got:

libX11.so.6 => not found
    libXtst.so.6 => not found
    libXext.so.6 => not found
    libXt.so.6 => not found
    libICE.so.6 => not found
    libXrender.so.1 => not found

Any help would be appreciated, cheers
    I had the same problem aparently it validates the key through some X11 library if you install libx11-dev and/or libx11-6 it should work.

Beans

I'm very new to Linux and today I installed Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake on a couple of machines. These are fresh installs with no modifications. When trying to install VMWare I got error messages on both machines:

Setup is unable to find the "make" program on your machine. Please make sure it is installed. Do you want to specify the location of this program by hand?
    I've got some books on the way, and I'll keep browsing the forums here. Any quick advice on where to obtain & install the make program, or any other essential tweaks is greatly appreciated.

Beans

sounds like you need to install gcc.. look in the first post

Beans

actually, it's "build-essential" that's missing (it contains various programs necessary for compiling software, including "make") - you can install this from the dapper installation cd -

just put it in the cd drive, and wait until a message pops up saying "an ubuntu cd has been detected. you can now start the package manager". now, click the button that says "start package manager", and synaptic will open.

now click on the "search" button, and type "build-essential". click the square icon at the left of the name of the package, then select the "mark for installation" option. now click the "apply" button at the top.

synaptic will install "build-essential" from the dapper cd, then you can "close" the window (once it says that "changes have been applied").

now try installing vmware again. you should be good to go.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pellgarlic
    actually, it's "build-essential" that's missing (it contains various programs necessary for compiling software, including "make") - you can install this from the dapper installation cd -
    Thanks for your help! I think this is exactly what I need. Today is my first day with Linux and I'm looking forward to learning more about it.
    Last edited by 655321; June 29th, 2006 at 07:23 PM.

Beans

hope you have fun

if it ever stops being fun, come here and ask for help - there are a lot of smart dudes around here who can help out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Unhappy Re: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

Followed your howto and am having trouble.
    At the last step I get an error message
    The path "/home/xxxxx/doc/vmware" does not exist currently. This program is
    going to create it, including needed parent directories. Is this what you want?
    [yes]

Unable to get the access rights of source file "./vmware-vix/bin".

Execution aborted.

I've tried reinstalling gtk and starting the process over. Any ideas on how to get past this error? Thanks.

Page 23 of 137 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast