Thread: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

Beans

Re: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

Quote Originally Posted by Kure
    OK, it BOOTS CORRECTLY.

I am using

• Ubuntu Dapper Drake 6.06 LTS

• 2.6.15-23-k7 kernel

• gcc version 4.0.3 (Ubuntu 4.0.3-1ubuntu5)

• vmware server 1.0.0 build-24927

• Grub in MBR

• Windows XP

... and it works - I haven't tested any real applications yet nor know I how it would affect the Windows installation - at least it may ruin it and you may not be able to boot back to bare windows again because of huge amounts of generic drivers installed by vmware.
    First of all this is very good news for me at least
    2 questions,
    1)did you get a chance to try and boot direct to windows from startup to see if it caused any ill effects on the windows install.
    2) is there any reason that you would not be able to map to a network directory under VMWare while running windows ?
    It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

When I want to power on my Windows 98 virtual OS, it says the error: No bootable CD, floppy or hard disk was detected. I wonder how, if I can boot from CD rom normally and run Windows 98 from startup boot. Maybe the problem is that windows are very old and I should use win Xp.
    Linux is like a wigwam. No Windows, no Gates. Apache inside!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks...I've learned alot and was just about to wipe my MS partition, when I had a foul up and had to reinstall VMware server...

I'd be really cautious about loading anything important on it untill this "beta period" stuff is sorted out...do they hope to continue providing this as a "free" product AFTER the expiration date in Help>About ?
    Last edited by djsroknrol; June 17th, 2006 at 11:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Hi... ive installed vmware succesfully, and tried it... working perfect... but i have a question about this program. i have windows XP installed in another partition before deleting it and using vmware for the programs i need in windows... i would like to know if it is possible to run the installation of windows xp i have allready installed in another partition with VMWARE... i meen... if its posible to run the OS i have installed in the partition... no creating and installing an OS with vmware. Thanx

Beans

installing xp from a disk image??

hi,

i have an emachines pc, that came with a "system restore disk" containing the os and some other crap. at one point i tried to reinstall windows, but on boot it would not install it. i got a console mode, and poked around, found a disk image and a prog by symantec, 'ghost' or something like that. i'm pretty sure it formatted my drive to put windowz on it.

i'd love to play around with vmware--qemu does it too right. maybe even dual boot again for games.. anyways i don't want to lost my ubuntu installation. i'd rather run it in a virtual machine anyways, screw the games, nothings secure anyways. i think in a vm it can't access my ext3 filesystem right?

Beans

Re: installing xp from a disk image??

I get this error when I try to install windows:

see attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by skinner
    Hi... ive installed vmware succesfully, and tried it... working perfect... but i have a question about this program. i have windows XP installed in another partition before deleting it and using vmware for the programs i need in windows... i would like to know if it is possible to run the installation of windows xp i have allready installed in another partition with VMWARE... i meen... if its posible to run the OS i have installed in the partition... no creating and installing an OS with vmware. Thanx
    Scroll back a few pages to where KURE speaks about having done this
    It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between

Beans

it worked for me, except that my application -> system tools -> vmware link doesn't work. I get this error: Failed to execute child process "vmware" (No such file or directory)

I can start from the vmware file in Home/vmware, though. Does anyone know how I can fix that link?

Beans

Is it possible to install Windows Xp off of a .iso on the harddrive? I mounted a winxp cd and it does not recognize it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

This guy has a guide useing Vista beta and pulls it from the iso.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...t=vista+vmware

Bill
    ubuntu 7.04, AMD Athlon XP2800,

Billquinn1

Page 15 of 137 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast