Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Exclamation Re: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

Quote Originally Posted by Peturrr

Requirements
    • Ubuntu Dapper or Breezy
    • A Windows XP Installation CD & Key
    • Internet Connection (+- 100 Megabyte file download)
    • i386 pc!!!! (amd/intel)
    thank's for the howto, worked great on my pc.

Now this might be something everyone else knows, but I didn't. where i tested all installing ubuntu + vmware server on my pc, I tried to do the same on my powerbook G4. It took me the whole day to get the HFS+ partition resized & ubuntu properly installed (yes, newbee) to find out that vmware server doesn't support the G4 processor. So Ubuntu-ppc users, don't be fooled...

Before running VMware Server for the first time, you need to configure it by
    invoking the following command: "/usr/bin/vmware-config.pl". Do you want this
    program to invoke the command for you now? [yes]

Your processor does not support the ^cpuid instruction. VMware Server will not
    run on this system.

Your /proc/cpuinfo is:

processor : 0
    cpu : 7410, altivec supported
    temperature : 56-58 C (uncalibrated)
    clock : 500.000000MHz
    revision : 0.3 (pvr 800c 1103)
    bogomips : 49.79
    timebase : 24966218
    machine : PowerBook3,2
    motherboard : PowerBook3,2 MacRISC2 MacRISC Power Macintosh
    detected as : 71 (PowerBook Titanium)
    pmac flags : 0000001b
    L2 cache : 1024K unified
    pmac-generation : NewWorld
    Execution aborted.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

Ok Noob here so please bear with me.

1. My Ubuntu partition hda7 is about 7.51GB (4.47GB free). I have both root and home on this. The rest of my hdd has (hda1=WinXP, hda5=FAT32, hda6=MEPIS 6, hda8=SWAP, hda9=Kubuntu 6.06). During the VMWare installation, I want to put the Virtual XP on hda7 home directory.

Q's:
    - What instructions should i type to VMware where to place the new XP: hda7/root/home/user/winxp [I will have to create a folder in home called winxp]??
    - Is this space enough (4.51GB) for basic XP install? Then, I will be installing in this Virtual XP: Office2003 (1G), EndNote (50MB), SAS Statistical Software (700MB), SUN JRE 1.4 (180MB), SPSS statistical software (700MB), others (smaller programs)
    - Now how would be installing all these programs in the Virtual XP? Do I just follow the same procedures as if I were in XP???
    - Once the virtual XP is set up within Ubuntu, and I have launched the VMware window and selected WinXP OS, how does it know it has to boot up? IS this a stupid question? I am assuming that once in VMWare, XP feels and looks like the original XP??? right?

Thanks I am about to give it a try...wish me luck...! Oh, but first I have to track the stupid XP key ..is it on the OEM dics or should I just flip my laptop and check underneath it???

Many thanks, Peturr this is very helpful Regards,
    swb
    Last edited by shuttleworthwannabe; June 8th, 2006 at 06:45 PM.
    Howzit! 8) Ubuntu User #21505 Registered Linux user #408849

Beans
    Distro

Great stuff. I just installed VMW and XP on to my hda7 (I allocated 2G only for starters). The basic install took 1.99G. All went effortlessly.

Just 1 problem. I used the OEM supplied XP CD, and was not asked about the CD key. But the annoying thing is that it keeps pestering me to Activate and when I plugin the key it does not recognize it all. Any way to overcome this.

I do not have sound: I am assuming we have to install the drivers?? or will it not recognize that?? Do I have to configure thi sin VMWare to tell it what audio devices to check??

I am wrting this thro IE6..yes, I know. But now I can have my Stats packaes running in Linux and do not have to boot!

Thanks,
    swb
    Last edited by shuttleworthwannabe; June 8th, 2006 at 08:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware: /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_3.4' not found (required by /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2)
    /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware: /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_3.4' not found (required by /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2)

This is when I run "vmware" I have GCC 3.4 and 4.0 installed could that be the problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Tried to reinstall and getting this error:

Extracting the sources of the vmmon module.

Building the vmmon module.

Using 2.6.x kernel build system.
    make: Entering directory `/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only'
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.15-23-386/build/include/.. SUBDIRS=$PWD SRCROOT=$PWD/. modules
    /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.15-23-386/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 11: gcc: command not found
    /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.15-23-386/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 12: gcc: command not found
    make[1]: gcc: Command not found
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.15-23-386'
    make[2]: gcc: Command not found
    /tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/Makefile:89: *** Inappropriate build environment: you wanted to use gcc version 4.0.3 while kernel attempts to use gcc version .
    /tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/Makefile:91: *** For proper build you'll have to replace gcc with symbolic link to /usr/bin/gcc-4.0. Stop.
    make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.15-23-386'
    make: *** [vmmon.ko] Error 2
    make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only'
    Unable to build the vmmon module.

For more information on how to troubleshoot module-related problems, please
    visit our Web site at "http://www.vmware.com/download/modules/modules.html" and
    "http://www.vmware.com/support/reference/linux/prebuilt_modules_linux.html".

Execution aborted.

No idea why I'm getting it though.

Beans

Is it possible to use your cd burner in this? I installed Nero 6, but it only shows a virtual device. And is sound possible?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by shuttleworthwannabe
    Great stuff. I just installed VMW and XP on to my hda7 (I allocated 2G only for starters). The basic install took 1.99G. All went effortlessly.

Just 1 problem. I used the OEM supplied XP CD, and was not asked about the CD key. But the annoying thing is that it keeps pestering me to Activate and when I plugin the key it does not recognize it all. Any way to overcome this.

I do not have sound: I am assuming we have to install the drivers?? or will it not recognize that?? Do I have to configure thi sin VMWare to tell it what audio devices to check??

I am wrting this thro IE6..yes, I know. But now I can have my Stats packaes running in Linux and do not have to boot!

Thanks,
    swb
    Ok, hi there.
    2 issues:

1. How do I get the Activation process bypassed. I have OEM cd. CD key from the COA back of laptop is not accepted. I ecen tried Telephone, but the sweet lady, told me that the installation ID was not valid.
    2. Get sound going. Currently, no sound at all. Device not detected. EDIT: I got this working by goign into vm settings and adding sound card. works fine , though a bit poor sound.
    Last edited by shuttleworthwannabe; June 9th, 2006 at 04:18 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I get and error message when i try to install vmware. I am using a G4 Processor in a Mac Mini. the error message is:

Your processor does not support the ^cpuid instruction. VMware Server will not
    run on this system.

Your /proc/cpuinfo is:

processor : 0
    cpu : 7447A, altivec supported
    clock : 1333.333328MHz
    revision : 0.5 (pvr 8003 0105)
    bogomips : 82.94
    timebase : 41600571
    machine : PowerMac10,2
    motherboard : PowerMac10,2 MacRISC3 Power Macintosh
    detected as : 287 (Unknown Intrepid-based)
    pmac flags : 00000000
    L2 cache : 512K unified
    pmac-generation : NewWorld
    Execution aborted.

What should i do?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by darknuala
    Is it possible to use your cd burner in this? I installed Nero 6, but it only shows a virtual device. And is sound possible?
    Sound: check my post below [your post], and above as sq322 puts it below..
    Last edited by shuttleworthwannabe; June 9th, 2006 at 05:10 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shuttleworthwannabe
    Sound: check my post below
    U mean your post above

sorry its Friday..couldnt resist
    It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between

Page 13 of 137 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast