Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

reboot... fixed.

Beans

I am getting an error.

I created a 16 gb folder for the virtual machine. It tried to default its position to var/lib/vmware-server/Virtual Machines/ although I changed that to /media/Storage/WindowsFiles/VirtualMachine/

It created the space correctly but when I go to 'Power On' the machine I get:

"Unable to change virtual machine power state: The process exited with an error:
    End of error message."

Anyh ideas?

Oh, I even went and made a new machine in the default position and it did the same thing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Distortedgamer View Post
    I am getting an error.

"Unable to change virtual machine power state: The process exited with an error:
    End of error message."

Anyh ideas?
    I think your next step is to get more info about the actual error. Follow these steps:

1. select 'VM -> Settings'
    2. select the 'Options' tab
    3. select 'Advanced'
    4. check 'Run with debugging information'

Then you should know more about why it is complaining.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    It is experimental, but it may be possible.
    Yes, I used VMware converter on my live XP install to create a new VM.
    I also used ghost 12 to create an image from an XP hard drive that wouldn't boot (motherboard failure) - but the drive was fine. Then used the converter on that ghost image/backup to create another VM. I use that VM all the time. Windows will want to re-authenticate, since it "sees" that it's running on different HW.

Beans

Anybody know how to make VMware server do "fullscreen" on just one monitor in a dual-monitor setup? Right now it splits the 2 screens, and blanks out the rest.

NVidia card, using TwinView. I can get firefox to maximize to just one screen.

Beans

i installed vmware following the procedures mentioned. it is already on the "application/system tools", but it won't start. i typed vmware on terminal and these are the errors:
    /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware: /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_3.4' not found (required by /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2)
    /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware: /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_4.2.0' not found (required by /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6)
    /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware: /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_3.4' not found (required by /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2)
    /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware: /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_4.2.0' not found (required by /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6)

please, if you could, mail me at biohazard_ten21@yahoo.com

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by biohazardouz View Post
    i installed vmware following the procedures mentioned. it is already on the "application/system tools", but it won't start. i typed vmware on terminal and these are the errors:

please, if you could, mail me at biohazard_ten21@yahoo.com
    See the sticky at the top of these forums :

How to VMWare in Ubuntu 8.04 - Ubuntu Forums

Step 5
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Unable to change virtual machine power state: The process exited with an error:
    vmxvmdb: Index name being generated from config file
    POST(no connection): Could not open /dev/vmmon: No such file or directory.
    Please make sure that the kernel module `vmmon' is loaded.

POST(no connection): Failed to initialize monitor device.

Failed to initialize VM.
    End of error message.
    ----------------------------

Sorry about the delay there.

Thats what I get whenever I try to turn the XP server on.
    Last edited by Distortedgamer; August 22nd, 2008 at 12:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Question Re: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

Great!!!

well but I have a question about it. how can i get access to internet for my virtual machine using a machine with a wireless card???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thank you for this thread and for all of the comments. I have been thinking about using VM to run xp and found this info very informative.
    My 15 minutes of fame came and went, but nobody noticed.

Page 128 of 137 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130 ... LastLast