Page 121 of 137 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,210 of 1362

Thread: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

Beans

Re: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

ok i uninstalled the beta 2 version and installed the 1.04, but when i try to power on the virual machine i get this:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Bah,I was hoping i could solve the gaming issue with this or something like it but i understand, and it makes sense why it why it currently is not possible, kinda like when i ran winamp in wine and file would not play...or something like that, reason probably because ubuntu did not have that codec installed then...makes me wonder if it might work now?

Anyway i was hoping it might be possible(though i would be it was not) to game via a stripped down vmwared xp...oh guess me and bunch of others will stay using windows for gaming...damn.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I've installed VMware 1.04 and created a new VMachine for Windows XP, however with the CD in the drive I just get a blank screen for a few seconds and then it returns to the VM Screen. I've even tried booting from the XP ISO file but still the same thing happens. Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Ok, I have successfully installed vmware server and windows XP Pro. I am unable to get my internet connection to work. What info would be needed to troubleshoot this? I have tried changing from Bridged to NAT and back to no avail. My Ubuntu connection works fine. In XP all I can see is "acquiring network address" but it never finds the connection. My internet is wired but through a router. I've read through and searched most of this thread/google and cannot find a clear answer. It seems to just work in all the how-tos.

Any help would be awesome, thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I used to have vmware player/server working but get errors configuring vmnat etc when trying upgrades and saw an error "gcc 4:4.1.1 needs 4:4.0.3-1" and the same for g++?

I have an XP installation but if the above can't be easily fixed is there a way to save the XP installation and use on a brand new vmware installation?

TIA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Endwin View Post
    I had the same problem aparently it validates the key through some X11 library if you install libx11-dev and/or libx11-6 it should work.
    your suggestion worked perfectly
    To anyone that answers my ridiculous newb questions w/o pitching a fit...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuKZNmY3YDU
    ASUS K8V mobo, AMD 64 Athlon, nVidia 6200
    booya kasha, respek

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Peturrr View Post
    Are you too having problems with software that is only available on Windows and not on Linux? Are you still Dual Booting to solve this problem? After this HowTo you will never need to dual-boot again for your windows only software, like Adobe CS!
    Info That sounds great, but how?
    Did you ever heard about Virtual Machines? ....
    I keep going through the configuration, getting a message it was installed, then I run "vmware" and am back at square one. No joy. Ubuntu 7.10.
    The configuration of VMware Server 1.0.4 build-56528 for Linux for this running kernel completed successfully.

beowulf@ubuntu:~/vmware-server-distrib$ vmware
    vmware is installed, but it has not been (correctly) configured
    for this system. To (re-)configure it, invoke the following command:
    /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl.

beowulf@ubuntu:~/vmware-server-distrib$
    --Why is there anything rather than nothing?

Beans

I am trying to install vmware using this guide and have a problem that I can't fix myself. The installation runs untill it gets to the vmmon module when I get this:

None of the pre-built vmmon modules for VMware Server is suitable for your
    running kernel. Do you want this program to try to build the vmmon module for
    your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)? [yes]

Using compiler "/usr/bin/gcc". Use environment variable CC to override.

Your kernel was built with "gcc" version "4.0.3", while you are trying to use
    "/usr/bin/gcc" version "4.1.2". This configuration is not recommended and
    VMware Server may crash if you'll continue. Please try to use exactly same
    compiler as one used for building your kernel. Do you want to go with compiler
    "/usr/bin/gcc" version "4.1.2" anyway? [no]

If I let it go ahead it aborts. My system does have gcc 4.0.3-4 installed.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Ed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I have the same problem as ronb above and this is in my vmware-serverd.log file

Jan 31 21:56:00: app| Adding to list of running vms: /var/lib/vmware/Virtual Machines/whs/whs.vmx
    Jan 31 21:56:00: app| Attempting to launch vmx : /var/lib/vmware/Virtual Machines/whs/whs.vmx
    Jan 31 21:56:00: app| Error during launch: 11, The process exited with an error:
    Jan 31 21:56:00: app| End of error message
    Jan 31 21:56:00: app| VmsdVmStatePendingCmdFailed: cmd status is already set
    Jan 31 21:56:03: app| vmdbPipe_Streams Couldn't read: OVL_STATUS_EOF
    Jan 31 21:56:03: app| SP: Deleting user session: 0 username: jrwren

I google for VmsdVmStatePendingCmdFailed and vmdbPipe_Streams Couldn't read and I find many people with the same problem, but no solutions!

Until I stumbled across someones LiveJournal where they said... check the permissions on ~/.vmware. sudo had marked it as root!

sudo chown $USER ~/.vmware

FIXED ALL MY PROBLEMS!!!

SHEESH!
    Last edited by evarlast; February 1st, 2008 at 04:48 AM. Reason: adding a solution!

Beans

Thanks, Thanks and more thanks,
    I have been using Linux exclusively for the past 8 months and till date there were just 2 softwares that were making me want to go back to Windows or at least to dual boot - Google talk and SPSS. Both work flawlessly from inside Ubuntu now and my computer nirvana is here at last.
    Thanks once again
    Santam

Page 121 of 137 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131 ... LastLast