Page 113 of 137 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 1362

Thread: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

Beans

Re: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

Quote Originally Posted by BLTicklemonster View Post
    Thanks, but with the Gutsy Beta, I didn't have to patch a thing. I just installed vmware and it worked just fine. (I already had that particular patch saved on my storage drive, btw )
    hello monster, well no i got no sound and aether find the camera after installing the the windows driver!
    any idea?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thanks guys, I been contenplating upgrading to Gutsy but was a little worried I wouldn't be able to install VMware server, but since you guys have done it I will give it a go as well

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

1. Install Ubuntu
    2. Install VMware server.
    3. Kernel spinlock message on boot.
    4. Profit??

But seriously, I can't boot my computer anymore. When I did have VMware installed, I just got a blank screen when starting the VM. The VM didn't boot from the CD and didn't display an error; it was simply blank.

I've been trying to mount my partitions from the Feisty Live CD, but it simply locks up at the Ubuntu desktop after loading... I've left it for 20 minutes and nothing happends. So I grabbed a Gutsy CD, and after modifying my xorg.conf file to use fglrx and running sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart, my X server loads properly. However, it won't let me mount my hda3 partition as root; it doesn't overwrite the Live CD's file system, so I can't use apt to grab a different kernel so as to solve this problem.

So I rebooted with the same Live CD and mounted the partitions elsewhere, then copied the kernel image and modules from the Live CD to my computer, modified GRUB so it'd know about the new kernel, and rebooted. I think I'm good to go now, but I won't be trying VMware again anytime soon.

Beans

Code:
    None of the pre-built vmmon modules for VMware Server is suitable for your 
    running kernel.  Do you want this program to try to build the vmmon module for 
    your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)? [yes] 

Using compiler "/usr/bin/gcc". Use environment variable CC to override.

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
    kernel? [/lib/modules/2.6.20-16-generic/build/include] 

Extracting the sources of the vmmon module.

Building the vmmon module.

Using 2.6.x kernel build system.
    make: Entering directory `/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only'
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.20-16-generic/build/include/.. SUBDIRS=$PWD SRCROOT=$PWD/. modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.20-16-generic'
      CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o
    In file included from /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:80:
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/./include/compat_kernel.h:21: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘compat_exit’
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/./include/compat_kernel.h:21: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘exit_code’
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/./include/compat_kernel.h:21: warning: type defaults to ‘int’ in declaration of ‘_syscall1’
    make[2]: *** [/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.20-16-generic'
    make: *** [vmmon.ko] Error 2
    make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only'
    Unable to build the vmmon module.

For more information on how to troubleshoot module-related problems, please 
    visit our Web site at "http://www.vmware.com/download/modules/modules.html" and
    "http://www.vmware.com/support/reference/linux/prebuilt_modules_linux.html".

Execution aborted.
    Hey guys, noob here. I tried searching for this error without much luck. I am having this error when installing Vmware. Anyone seen this before and what should i do?

Beans
    Hidden!

When I go to the VM-ware-site I cannot download the Binary (.tar.gz) - file. When I click on it to download it, nothing happens (except hours of loading the page without any result). I can download all the other files (but I don't need them of course).

Can somebody help me?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Osmo View Post
    When I go to the VM-ware-site I cannot download the Binary (.tar.gz) - file. When I click on it to download it, nothing happens (except hours of loading the page without any result). I can download all the other files (but I don't need them of course).

Can somebody help me?
    Do you have java blocked (noscript) ?
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Hidden!

It worked and i have downloaded the file now but when i try to install with the code "sudo ./vmware-install.pl" I get this :

Code:
    filip@Pc-Boven:~/Desktop/vmware-server-distrib$ sudo ./vmware-install.pl
    A previous installation of VMware software has been detected.

The previous installation was made by the tar installer (version 3).

Keeping the tar3 installer database format.

Uninstalling the tar installation of VMware Server.

inetd: no process killed
    The removal of VMware Server 1.0.4 build-56528 for Linux completed 
    successfully. Thank you for having tried this software.

Installing the content of the package.

In which directory do you want to install the binary files? 
    [/usr] /usr

What is the directory that contains the init directories (rc0.d/ to rc6.d/)? 
    [/etc] /etc

What is the directory that contains the init scripts? [/etc] /etc

The file /etc/vmware that this program was about to install already exists. 
    Overwrite? [yes] yes

Unable to copy the source file ./installer/services.sh to the destination file 
    /etc/vmware.

Execution aborted.

What fault did I make?
    Last edited by Osmo; October 6th, 2007 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Code

Beans

Folks,

I have VMware workstation and I executed following line in Terminal
    vmware -x <path of .vmx file>

This opens the VMX file and also starts the VM. But looks like somehow this is tied with current logged on user's session. As soon as I logout, this virtual machine stops running.

Does anybody know how can I make sure the VM will keep on running even if I logout? I would actually like to run the VM by connecting over SSH. Is that possible?

Thanks.

Beans

Any idea how I can increase performance in this? It's really terrible...I allocated 512 ram and 4gb of HD space for it, and even before I install the OS, its sluggish. When it booted off the CD, it seemed to get 'stuck' while it loaded the installation. This repeats itself throughout the usage of the VM. It just seems to hang at random intervals, and then it kicks back and starts working again. Any idea why this might happen?

Beans

apu95 i think it might be your processor thats messing up

my question is how doe u transfer files back and forth across the host OS and the guest OS. i really need to know.
    thanks in advance

Page 113 of 137 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123 ... LastLast