Page 110 of 137 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120 ... LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 1362

Thread: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

after oyu have the vmware xp running can you "drag n drop" data from the xp to linux machine and vise versa?
    Ubuntu user # 16304 www.nocleanfeed.com
    If someone asks you to sudo rm -rf anything, don't do it, and don't run any command with rm in it unless you know exactly what you're doing.things i have learnt changing from Xp pro to Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    Code:
    Extracting the sources of the vmmon module.

Building the vmmon module.

Using 2.6.x kernel build system.
    make: Entering directory `/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only'
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.20-16-generic/build/include/.. SUBDIRS=$PWD SRCROOT=$PWD/. modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.20-16-generic'
      CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o
    In file included from /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:80:
    /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/./include/compat_kernel.h:21: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘compat_exit’
    /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/./include/compat_kernel.h:21: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘exit_code’
    /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/./include/compat_kernel.h:21: warning: type defaults to ‘int’ in declaration of ‘_syscall1’
    make[2]: *** [/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.20-16-generic'
    make: *** [vmmon.ko] Error 2
    make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only'
    Unable to build the vmmon module.

For more information on how to troubleshoot module-related problems, please 
    visit our Web site at "http://www.vmware.com/download/modules/modules.html" and
    "http://www.vmware.com/support/reference/linux/prebuilt_modules_linux.html".

Execution aborted.
    Anyone have any ideas?
    I'm getting this same error too, running Feisty x86_64. Anyone with some insight?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

You can install an existing operating system but only if it is on another hard disk. it will not read from the same hard disk. So you cannot have a dual boot and a vmware of the same os.
    If you're happy and you know it... **** off and stop bragging!

Beans

I am trying to do this and when I installed VMware I recieved and error message, now from Add/remove Applications or going to the system>admin>Synaptic package manager I get an error

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
    E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

Then if I go to terminal and attempt to run this it says that I must have superuser

requested operation requires superuser priviledges

I did get XP to load onto my machine using Virtual box before the dpkg problem

I can run XP get to the internet but it has an odd IP address and is not able to see my windows network machines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by jlmartinjr View Post
    I am trying to do this and when I installed VMware I recieved and error message, now from Add/remove Applications or going to the system>admin>Synaptic package manager I get an error

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
    E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

Then if I go to terminal and attempt to run this it says that I must have superuser

requested operation requires superuser priviledges

I did get XP to load onto my machine using Virtual box before the dpkg problem

I can run XP get to the internet but it has an odd IP address and is not able to see my windows network machines.
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a

Beans

There is software available that can run Windows XP or any other Operating System inside your main Operating System.
    Hi, thanks for this how to. What about Mac OSX? Can I have that as well?

Cheers

Beans

Help!

My Vmware Server has stopped running. I click on the icon in the panel and nothing happens.

I am on Dapper and have been running Windows XP Home in my virtual machine; it has worked fine until now. I just updated my system, and I noticed that the update included an update of Linux kernel. Could this have caused my problem?

What do I do? Can I just reinstall? I don't want to lose my Windows files.

Beans

Yup, VMware modifies the Linux kernel. So if you upgrade the kernel, then you have to re-install VMware. The moral of the story is - don't fix it if it ain't broke! If Linux works properly, leave it alone, since an update can then only make things worse, not better.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by stinger30au View Post
    after oyu have the vmware xp running can you "drag n drop" data from the xp to linux machine and vise versa?
    I am pretty sure you can, but if you can't, you should be able to just go into the file system and drop it in your home folder.

Beans

HermanAB:

If I reinstall VMWare Server, do I have to reinstall XP? Do I lose all my XP files?

Page 110 of 137 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120 ... LastLast