Page 10 of 137 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

Beans

Re: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

OK everything installed fine, and I wacked in my Windows CD and the DOS Style installer all kicked in, selecting my partition etc and it started to copy files. After so long the screen simply goes blank, despite the HDD and CDROM icons still flashing.

I did a screen capture and low and behold the windows XP installation is there in the screen capture.. just not appearing on my screen in real time. Pressing ENTER lets me interact sucessfully with the installation ( Subsequent Screen Captures prove this). Its just not Displaying.

I'm running XGL and Compiz with an ATI card and I Imagine this is my problem, I'm just confused to why the DOS Style installation would appear but then go blank when the Graphical installer kicks in... anyone got any ideas?

Edit: To add to the irony i've just installed VMware Player and loaded the virtual machine created by VMW Server and it actually works. Seems strange how it displays with the player but not within the server app.
    Last edited by Omission; June 5th, 2006 at 02:29 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Here is some additional info re: vmware command/directory not found. Don't know if this will help.
    Merv

[Error msg I get is - after the successful (it said) install, when I try to run VMware Server Console, I get "failed to execute child process 'vmware' No such file or directory".

Starting VMware services:
    Virtual machine monitor done
    Virtual ethernet done
    Bridged networking on /dev/vmnet0 failed
    Host-only networking on /dev/vmnet1 (background) done
    Host-only networking on /dev/vmnet8 (background) done
    NAT service on /dev/vmnet8 failed
    invoke-rc.d: initscript vmware-player, action "start" failed.
    dpkg: error processing vmware-player (--configure):
    subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    Setting up bcm43xx-fwcutter (20060108-6build1) ...

Errors were encountered while processing:
    vmware-player
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Peturrr
    Thanks for your comments and appreciation.

@nomearod
    You won't be able to acces the programs you have already installed on your windows. The virtual windows machine will be a new windows install, that only is accesible with VMware software. You cannot boot it directly. you won't be able to use your internet in windows if it's not installed in Ubuntu. Also a scanner or other hardware will not run, since it is running above Ubuntu. You will still need to reboot to a real windows for that. Sorry.
    @Peturrr...sorry to rehash...just to clarify. this will NOT allow me to access programs installed in a current windows ?
    Is there anything that will allow for that ??
    It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by Sq322
    @Peturrr...sorry to rehash...just to clarify. this will NOT allow me to access programs installed in a current windows ?
    Is there anything that will allow for that ??
    This will indeed NOT allow you to acces programs installed in a current windows. It allows you to install a completely clean windows, that can be used without rebooting your pc.

I don't know of any software that can do that, but maybe you should have a look at the vmware site. I guess they will offer such software (but offcourse that will cost you $$ )

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Peturrr
    This will indeed NOT allow you to acces programs installed in a current windows. It allows you to install a completely clean windows, that can be used without rebooting your pc.

I don't know of any software that can do that, but maybe you should have a look at the vmware site. I guess they will offer such software (but offcourse that will cost you $$ )
    thx for the info, it seems that there is a way to use the vmware workstation to do this but it involves configuring a dual boot computer for use ...
    ARGH !!
    reinstalling my programs presents a time consuming nightmare for me
    Last edited by Sq322; June 5th, 2006 at 06:24 PM.
    It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Following this How To I get to the point of executing the install scrip and I get:

irv@ubuntu:~/DownLoads/vmware/vmware-server-distrib$ sudo ./vmware-install.pl
    A previous installation of VMware software has been detected.

Failure

Execution aborted.

Which is telling me I have a previous installed VMware, but I am not sure how to remove it?
    I don't remember installing it. I did install VMware player from the package manager, but completely remove it before starting this install. Where do I go from here?
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

This is a great howto! The only problem I am having is that the virtual machine doesn't want to power up, I get the error message:

Unable to change virtual machine power state: The process exited with an error:
    End of error message.

I didn't install windows xp yet so the machine is completely empty. Of course I tried different cd-rom drives, etc. Does anyone have an idea about how to get past this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I couldn't get it installed on my fast machine so I install it on my 800Mhz with 300+ MB RAM, but windows took forever to load and it ran way to slow so I removed it. I want to uninstall VMware from two machines, and I tried sudo vmware-uninstall.pl, and it goes through the motions, but it dosen't seem to uninstall it.
    Has anyone got any idea how to get it off my systems?
    Thanks.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans

(in win xp on vmware server on dapper)

anyone have any tips on how to -

1 - get an ipod working (w/ itunes)? ubuntu and VMWare Server both recognise the ipod, and I can "check" it under the usb devices menu. It shows up in winxp as a generic "USB Mass Storage Device." No luck with it so far. It'd be nice to have itunes. nothing in linux is quite "there" yet (gtkpod is workable but dissappointing, and rhythmbox would be awesome, if you could actually transfer files)

2 - tweak the graphics speed? nvidea card, and I don't need any 3D games, but it would be nice to speed up AutoCAD, Photoshop, and Sketchup, which are really what i need this for right now.

still kind of frustrating because from powered off, to boot into ubuntu and load winxp in vmware is *quicker* than i've ever had winxp boot up natively, and to not have to deal with spyware and assorted windows annoyances is a dream, but the slight lag in graphics rendering is

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by irv
    Following this How To I get to the point of executing the install scrip and I get:

irv@ubuntu:~/DownLoads/vmware/vmware-server-distrib$ sudo ./vmware-install.pl
    A previous installation of VMware software has been detected.

Failure

Execution aborted.

Which is telling me I have a previous installed VMware, but I am not sure how to remove it?
    I don't remember installing it. I did install VMware player from the package manager, but completely remove it before starting this install. Where do I go from here?

Does anyone have any ideas how to remedy this?

Page 10 of 137 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast