Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Boot-Repair-Disk : THE 'must-have' rescue CD !

Beans

Re: Boot-Repair-Disk : THE 'must-have' rescue CD !

I'm on my phone but I took a picture of the screen with the error message on it. Is there anyway I could send it to you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Yep, my email is yannubuntu ATTT gmail DOTTT com

Beans

I sent it

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

i received it, thank you. This appears to be a Debian-live error, I will check further.
    In the meantime, please try Ubuntu Secured as described in my previous message.

Beans

Hi, I just reinstalled windows on a ubuntu machine.

I burned boot-repair disk into a usb drive and boot from that. after selecting 32bits
    session it started to scan my system. But remain quiet since the dialog box disappeared.

I also tried to install boot-repair in my ubuntu and ran it. But it always crash when
    Code:
    => [[ PY ]] =>  RETOURCOMBO_partition_booted_bymbr: sda1 (Windows 7) , TARGET_PARTITION_FOR_MBR becomes 1
    appeared on the terminal screen as the last line.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Arrow Re: Boot-Repair-Disk : THE 'must-have' rescue CD !

Hello Milandroid,
    Boot-Repair is now broken, until all icons become green on the following page:
    https://launchpad.net/~yannubuntu/+a...pair/+packages

(Launchpad sometimes take several hours to accept an update)

Please retry when all icons are green. This should be in about 4 hours.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Exclamation Re: Boot-Repair-Disk : THE 'must-have' rescue CD !

Just to warn others that may (like I did) think this CD is easy to use and can do everything - it can leave you with an un-bootable system. I had a single-disk setup with Clonezilla, XP, Vista, Xubuntu 10.04 and a common data partition but the boot menus were messy (because I don't understand the booting process, I guess). I used GAG boot manager to choose Win XP or Xubuntu. The XP option went straight to XP - the only option that did what it should. Choosing Xubu took me to a sub menu - from here I could choose Xubu or Vista. Taking the Xubu option would then take me to Linux. Taking the Vista option brought up a third menu - from which I could choose Vista or a "previous version of Windows" (XP, of course). I think that this situation came about through adding OSs incorrectly though in my own defense I did try to follow documented procedures. I have never upgraded Xubu to 11.04 because I know it screws up booting even further and I never got the Clonezilla partition to boot.

After downloading and running "Boot-Repair-Disk : THE 'must-have' rescue CD" the "must have" in my case seems to mean I "must have" done something wrong. Text ran up the screen so fast I have no idea what it did, but at the end it appeared to be happy with itself and told me to reboot. I had a nice clean Grub menu replacing the old GAG one. Vista was still missing, but I wasn't worried. I tried the option to go into XP - before starting it ran scandisk on the C:\ drive for ages, then rebooted itself again. I still had my nice new Grub menu, and I took the XP option again. Once more it went straight into scandisk before starting - but this time it ran on my data and Vista partitions before finally it loading up into XP. From XP I could see the data and Vista partitions in "My Computer" and I could access the files OK. Scandisk did report that it found errors on all three partitions, which it said successfully repaired.

I then tried to reboot to check out the Linux/Vista installations. However, the grub menu has now gone and I get:

no module name found
    Aborted. Press any key to exit

Pressing a key clears the screen and replaces the text with:

Non-System disk or disk error
    replace and strike any key when ready

Booting from my GAG CD - all the partitions are all shown but the only OS that I can boot is XP. Attempts to boot from Vista's partition gives:

BOOTMGR is missing
    Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to restart.

However the machine is frozen at this point, needing a power cycle to restart. Attempting to boot Xubu gives:

no module name found
    Aborted. Press any key to exit

I do not know about the Xubu installation as I only have an installation CD, not a Live one. (I live in the middle of nowhere with a slow Internet connection so downloading one is out of the question until Monday!)

Frightening stuff. I am hoping to start a restore of the entire drive (about 9 hours required - not a massive disk but a slow interface), and I am going to live with my multiple menus while I try to learn the boot process!

As a sideline, pages that the links in the line:

Download: direct link (md5 is on this page).

do not show what the MD5 checksum should be, they just take you to the ISO download. Again, perhaps foolhardy of me because I used a download that may be corrupt. however, I couldn't find what the MD5 checksum should be, even after searching on Google for it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@Scooby-2 : to get the md5, just click on the (i) icon. Please indicate your Boot-Info URL so that we can help.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I just wanted to say i have used boot-repair from the down load and have installed it on all my computers. The program has worked perfect every time i have used it. two days ago i burned the new rescue cd and used it. DUDE AWSOME JOB, thanks for the work you have done here. keep up the great work
    borunco

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Cool Re: Boot-Repair-Disk : THE 'must-have' rescue CD !

Quote Originally Posted by YannBuntu View Post
    @Scooby-2 : to get the md5, just click on the (i) icon. Please indicate your Boot-Info URL so that we can help.
    Thank you for the response, YannBuntu. Please excuse my ignorance but I do no know what an "(i) icon" looks like.... sorry. I also tried searching the page text for "MD5" and "sum" but without success.

In the meantime I used a live CD to get on the internet to try and figure out what to do. I opted to try and recover Vista, so I booted from the installation disc and took the option "Repair your computer" after entering after entering language, time/date format and keyboard layout. It found the Vista partition and successfully recovered it, but failed to see the XP installation. I then used a program called Neosmart, which recovered both my Xubuntu and XP partitions successfully.

What I have now is my original GAG menu, but only the Vista option works (BOOTMGR missing from the XP option, no module name found for the Xubu option). However, the working Vista option takes me to another new menu from which I can choose, and then load, XP. I can also choose the Xubu option - and that takes me to the GRUB2 boot menu I used to have, from which I can then boot into Xubu.

The upshot is that my menus are still a mess but I can access all 3 OSs!

FYI the output from bootinfo is at http://paste.ubuntu.com/697478 if you want to see the output from a screwed up system! BTW I never was able to install Clonezilla successfully - it just gives a black screen with a flashing cursor at the top lhs of the screen.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast