Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Boot-Repair-Disk : THE 'must-have' rescue CD !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.10 Kinetic Kudu

Re: Boot-Repair-Disk : THE 'must-have' rescue CD !

Boot-Repair can't act on the network (this is the job of the NetworkManager tool), it just can check if Internet is connected or not.
    I do not understand what you mean. I am not a IT professional. Again, if ICEWEASEL can find the internet, what can't your software find it?

Do you have the same problem when using Boot-Repair from a Ubuntu12.04 (or Ubuntu-Secure-Remix 12.04) ?
    I am using Ubuntu 12.04 (64-bit). My 32-bit Ubuntu 12.04 are working fine and can afford to mess with them.

Again the question: first time I used your software, it gave results better than expected. How do I make your software give the same GNU GRUB menu on boot that it did the first time I used it?

John
    Last edited by drs305; July 5th, 2012 at 02:00 PM. Reason: QUOTE tags added for clarity

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Arrow Re: Boot-Repair-Disk : THE 'must-have' rescue CD !

Quote Originally Posted by cigtoxdoc View Post
    if ICEWEASEL can find the internet, what can't your software find it?
    As written in my last post, it's a problem of Boot-Repair which wrongly thinks there is no internet connection.
    I just added an option in Boot-Repair's PPA (package boot-sav >=94, will be available in ~30min) to workaround this problem:

To use it, run Boot-Repair, update it, click "Advanced options" and untick the "Check internet" option.

Quote Originally Posted by cigtoxdoc View Post
    How do I make your software give the same GNU GRUB menu on boot that it did the first time I used it?
    We need your logs. Please run Boot-Repair's "Recommended repair" (untick the "Check internet" option if necessary), and indicate the URL that will appear. If still not good, run B-R, click "Advanced options", click "Backup partition tables... logs", save the ZIP file somewhere and attach it to a new thread here (and indicate the link to this thread here please).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@all: I improved internet detection, and removed the "Check internet" option.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Arrow Re: Boot-Repair-Disk : THE 'must-have' rescue CD !

@all:
    I need your help to continue improving Boot-Repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=538

Thanks in advance !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Lightbulb Re: Boot-Repair-Disk : THE 'must-have' rescue CD !

New wallpaper for Boot-Repair-Disk:

It's a picture CC-by from Steve-A-Johnson. I hope you like it

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Dear all,

in order to improve the compliance with Debian standards, i disabled the proposal to update the software at the startup of Boot-Repair.

So from now, the update procedure (from Boot-Repair-Disk) becomes:

connect internet, update your package list, remove boot-sav and install boot-repair:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get purge -y --force-yes boot-sav; sudo apt-get install -y --force-yes boot-repair
    or download the last ISO

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have an UEFI Bios and a working bootable system. My boot time is about 45 seconds which seeems slow to me as I use an SSD for my OS. Is there a way of speeding up boot time?
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFreak View Post
    I have an UEFI Bios and a working bootable system. My boot time is about 45 seconds which seeems slow to me as I use an SSD for my OS. Is there a way of speeding up boot time?
    probably, but that's not the job of Boot-Repair. Please open a new thread for this.
    (if i were you i would press Esc during the boot in order to see if there are any errors during the boot log)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

************* NEW: Boot-Repair-Disk-64bit *******************
    ******* https://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/files/ ****

compatible with UEFI / SecureBoot / LVM /RAID .... like Linux-Secure-Remix, but lighter

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@YannBuntu

Hey Man, just gotta say Thank You for this utility!
    Today I just installed 13.04 on a brand new Lenovo H430, Win8 pre-installed, Uefi and upon reboot it would only boot to Win.
    Installed Boot Repair on a live session, I ran the one click repair and Ubuntu booted just fine.
    I didn't have time to check out the Win boot yet, as family member was impatient to get back to using Ubuntu. Ha!
    Tomorrow I will have time to explore further and will report back.

EDIT: First Windows option in grub works fine.

Just gotta say, You Rock Man!!!

Also my after paste URL output Kept saying to report these messages to you, Is this good enough:
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/5640114/ Or do you want it emailed to you?

The community wiki documentation is excellent and guided me very well, but one thing stands out...
    On a system with uefi win8 pre-installed, that already has an efi partition it needs to be made clear that a new efi
    partition is not necessary and grub should be installed onto the existing efi partition. This did not seem to be stated in any documentation, I found one small reference on Ask Ubuntu. It seemed to be the logical choice to me but might not be to less experienced users, and have seen people creating another efi part. (as per seemingly correct instructions) and getting into trouble.

Thanks Again, and this should be a default utility on the release iso, if not in the release itself.
    Keep up the good work!

aside: Seems that the Lenovo bios/uefi on this system is easily adaptable to booting Linux in secure boot mode.

p.s. oldfred, You Rock Too... I would not have had the confidence to get this done without the documentation you provide daily concerning uefi. Kudos!
    Last edited by arpanaut; May 8th, 2013 at 07:32 PM. Reason: ps
    Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast