Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Boot-Repair-Disk : THE 'must-have' rescue CD !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Lightbulb Re: Boot-Repair-Disk : THE 'must-have' rescue CD !

@all: I just updated Boot-Repair-Disk ISO with last version of Boot-Repair.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Boot-Repair-Disk : THE 'must-have' rescue CD !

I recently mangled the partitions on my Aspire 4810 and could only get back in using a live CD. After much searching I found Yann's post(s), contacted him and had first class help. I am happy to recommend his expertise to you, and also wish to thank him for his valuable support.
    Yann I now have a dedicated Ubuntu partition on the Acer and plan to do the same on other installs on my desktops. Once again thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Exclamation Re: Boot-Repair-Disk : THE 'must-have' rescue CD !

@all: I just updated Boot-Repair-Disk ISO with last version of Boot-Repair. If you own an older CD or USB, it is recommended to update your disk to avoid application update break.

@sprintexec: thanks for the comment, happy Ubuntuing

Beans

I'm trying to reset the grub menu on a usb drive so it will boot. It is a clone of my HD which is set to boot from the first HD and so I think the cloned drive is finding my HD instead of booting itself. I downloaded and burned the Boot-Repair-Disk but it doesn't boot and my HD boots up again. I tried booting a GParted cd and that booted fine. Any ideas for both issues?

Beans

And I tried the Ubuntu-secured-remix 64bit, which is what my chipset is, and it won't boot either. The drive spins and there is a long pause while the cursor blinks and then it boots the HD. Again, the GParted cd boots fine so I have no clue as to what is happening.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Lightbulb Re: Boot-Repair-Disk : THE 'must-have' rescue CD !

Hello UbuntuBrian,

did you check the md5 of your ISOs before burning them ? did you burn them with minimum burning speed ?

For information: Ubuntu-Secured-11.10 is based on Ubuntu-11.10 , and Boot-Repair-Disk is based on Debian-Stable. That means you should have the same problem with an Ubuntu or Debian CD, please check.

Last idea: create a live-USB (eg. via UnetBootin, because Ubuntu USB-creator doesn't work with Debian/Boot-Repair-Disk)

Beans

Thanks for the response. I am able to boot an Ubuntu Maverick live cd. I did check the md5 and it was good and I burned at 10x. I could try a lower burning speed but that still doesn't explain why I can't boot the ubuntu-secured cd.

In any case, I was able to correct my particular problem of not being aboe to boot a usb drive that is a clone of my HD. turns out both drives had the same UUID so with a little editing and help from my local Linux group I was able to correct the problem. Still would be nice to have the Boot-Repair Cd handy in case!

Beans

I downloaded the ISO and created working disk. I get the first menu and after selecting it about a minute later I get a a black screen with a white box. The top of the box has the debian swirl and the word debian. The input box is asking for userid?

What do I use?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Arrow Re: Boot-Repair-Disk : THE 'must-have' rescue CD !

@graeleight: maybe your PC is too recent for Boot-Repair-Disk (based on Debian stable). Please try to run Boot-Repair from Ubuntu Secured Remix (based on Ubuntu 11.10).

@ubuntubrian: sorry for the late answer. For information Maverick (=10.10) is obsolete now. Please can you try to boot on Ubuntu 11.10 and tell me if it works?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Exclamation Re: Boot-Repair-Disk : THE 'must-have' rescue CD !

A new Boot-Repair-Disk ISO is available. Same download link !

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast