Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Script Kiddies. Are they all bad?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Script Kiddies. Are they all bad?

You Sir know quite a bit about this I'v seen wireshark before, we did a small analysis for one of our courses last year, but i didnt really knnow what i was looking at!
    I've never had a problem with Windows I couldn't solve by installing Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by amiacamal View Post
    You Sir know quite a bit about this I'v seen wireshark before, we did a small analysis for one of our courses last year, but i didnt really knnow what i was looking at!

Well there is an easy way to fix that...use it and learn it

great book here http://www.wiresharkbook.com/

but dont concentrate too much on the tool itself but more on what it does. For which there are many similar tools.

Try them all, that is the point. find out as much as you can about all that you can, when you try and like on tool, find as many others out there that do the same thing and learn them too but concentrate on what they give you not so much the tool itself.

There is no ending to this stuff, you learn something new everyday, technologies are always changing

But remember there is more to Pen testing and hacking than knowing the structure of a packet...i am merely giving you a starting point, learn all you can about networking before you try curcumventing the security mechanisms of networking
    Last edited by haqking; August 23rd, 2011 at 05:00 PM.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro

The joy of I.T, soon as you understand how something works, someones found a better way of doing it I'll give that a look and start from there, start playin around with the old [edit] i always forget how strict this forums swear filter is... [/edit] laptop too

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Script kiddies is a derogatory term used for crackers. The implication is that these people run automated scripts without the knowledge to leverage any exploit they discover.

The term is used because "experienced sysadmins" feel they are easy to stop.

The fact of the matter is you do not know who is behind any particular script and should not underestimate the damage such crackers can do to your system if they discover an exploitation.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Something else of importance to note.

A pentest and a hack are NOT the same. Besides the obvious legal reasons. I saw a great presentation about this at Black Hat in 2007. I can't honestly remember who gave the presentation, however it was called "The Pen Test is Dead/Long Live the Pen Test".

Basically, it stated something I heartily agree with, a pen test creates repeatable, documented, and actionable results. A hack is just a workaround.
    Last edited by Dangertux; August 24th, 2011 at 12:04 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Generally everyone start off as a script kiddies of being a newbie in the internet security. Once they got the tools onhand is a matter of free choice whether they used it on good or evil.In order to become a internet security expert they always start off as a script kiddies and this is just part of the process of learning curve.

Beans
    Distro

I have a feeling my learning will be slow for the next year... Final year of college and all that. But i've decided that once i get a job I'm making a point of buying (and reading) a book on a subject im not great at every month (when i get paid)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

A very nice thread actually, i have a lot of interest in this area, after looking into all these comments, the obvious answer that i got was: THERE IS NO SHORTCUT, gotta do it myself.Thanks guys.

Beans
    Distro

I'v come to the same conclusion

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This thread really has nothing to do with Ubuntu security. Moved to the Cafe.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast