Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Torrenting stops network activity

Re: Torrenting stops network activity

Here is a good article on how to configure Transmission so it doesn't bog down your connection:

http://itswapshop.com/content/how-co...no-network-lag

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ingramproductions View Post
    Here is a good article on how to configure Transmission so it doesn't bog down your connection:

http://itswapshop.com/content/how-co...no-network-lag
    +1, great link!

Beans

I have encountered a similar problem with both transmission and deluge. I have found that it is usually best to reboot my modem when this occurs... My ISP could also be throttling my bandwidth... I have noticed that problem mostly happens when downloading torrents from public trackers... I never have issues when downloading torrents from private trackers...

Hope that helps...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

OK! Thank you to all. Playing with the upload settings seems to have done the trick.
    Summary as I understand it...please correct me if I have it wrong...
    Torrenting stops network activity. After a period of time using a bit torrent client network activity grinds to only a few bits per second. No WWW and no email, I could not even see my router through my browser. Rebooting the computer restarted the network, rebooting the router did not.
    Potential sources of the problem were suggested. These included flood detection in the router, throttling by the ISP, NAT overflow, and Thrashing by the torrent software.
    The router was not set to detect flooding, an internet search could find no complaints of ATT throttling torrents, resetting the router (and thus the NAT) did not work but limiting the upload speed of the bit torrent is working, for now.
    I work construction so it is hard for me to understand things that do not look like nails but the number of connections required for Qbittorrent and for Transmission (and apparently deluge) to try to maximize upload speed caused the system to thrash looking for more connections.
    Close to correct? with a bit of editing from someone here with more knowledge we can get this marked "solved"

Beans

I have the same problem. I will leave transmission running over night or for any length of time, and when I come back it has halted my network. Can't seem to find much on the issue, but I'll post any progress here.

[Edit]
    This link suggests it might be that our gateways cannot handle many connections at the same time. Maybe try limiting the number of connections per torrent/overall. I will try this and post the results.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/44268...o-make-it-work

[Edit]
    problem solved for me. I lowered the number of connections per torrent and overall both to 60 and I haven't had any dropped connections since.

Hope this helps someone else.
    Last edited by r2u1s1h2; November 18th, 2011 at 09:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I created this bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1098286

Please add your comments. This problem still occurs with 12.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.
    If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
    Thread closed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234