Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Torrenting stops network activity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Torrenting stops network activity

Thank you Sieji, did not see your post before my last response.
    I have seen the peer limitation suggestion before but not directed at these exact symptoms. The NAT table seems like the a good suspect. This has happened when downloading Torrents with a large number of seeders. It happened yesterday when flipping through lots of web pages and no torrent was involved. This computer is usually on for only several hours each day. Yesterday it had been on for more than 24 hours before I had to reboot.
    A couple of questions about NAT tables.....re-booting the computer seems to clear the table. Rebooting the router would also clear the table. Are there other ways to clear the table or clear the oldest portions of the table? Is there a normally a time to live for the oldest table entries?
    I will be out of town for the next three days and will be on an ancient Windows laptop. If there is time today I will try to initiate an internet failure and try to re-boot the router.

Beans

I had this problem when I was using windows, but only with torrents with many (hundreds) of seeders, lowering the max connections solved the problem, it should solve yours as well, in Transmission's settings go to the Network tab and lower "maximum peers per torrent" I'd suggest 50% of what it is currently set at, then gradually increase it if that works.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by gbrowning View Post
    A couple of questions about NAT tables.....re-booting the computer seems to clear the table. Rebooting the router would also clear the table. Are there other ways to clear the table or clear the oldest portions of the table? Is there a normally a time to live for the oldest table entries?
    I know of no other ways to clear the NAT table. Rebooting the router is the quickest and easiest solution I've found. I'm sure all the connections have TTLs, but they're probably long enough that they fill the router's memory.

I hear that "gaming" routers have larger tables and don't suffer from this problem as often. I also don't know whether replacing the stock firmware in the router with something like Tomato or DD-WRT would help. After I reduced the number of simultaneous connections in KTorrent, I haven't had a lockup since.

Beans
    Distro

It does not seem to be the NAT table but let me tell you what steps I have taken.
    unplugged the router for 10 seconds...no effect
    unplugged the router for 5 mins no effect
    restarted Ubuntu (Natty) no effect this time.

unplugged my NIC (card) and plugged it into the native ethernet on the motherboard......viola.

It is not a hardware problem but somehow the ethernet I/o is involved. I purchased a card a month ago because internet stopped working. Thought my son had been physically harsh with the computer. I am now using the same ethernet port which stopped working a month ago.

can this still be NAT? I do not see how. It is possible that the router did not lose power completely, it is part of my phone system and could be fed over the phone lines with their native 28 volts.
    do not have time to play, am off to the airport.... can read forums later but will not be able to physically attempt anything on this computer. until Thursday at the earliest and Friday is most likely
    Last edited by gbrowning; September 13th, 2011 at 02:33 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

May I ask what ISP you use? It could be that your ISP is blocking bit-torrent.

Beans
    Distro

I am using AT&T.

Beans
    Distro

I read through this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...network&page=2 Limiting the upstream traffic is suggested. This is consistent with the symptoms in that the network does not seem to break until the torrents have been transferring for a while and there are plenty of files to be discovered through peers.
    It does not explain why changing NIC ports worked, that could be coincidence. Soo...looking foreword to getting my hands back on the machine.

Beans
    Distro

same thing here started happening on fresh install of 11.04.
    limiting torrent bandwith seems to be working
    sucks though doesn't happen on windows
    +1 windows

Beans
    Distro

OK, someone please check my math. Upstream is limited to 5040 Kbps by the provider but Qbittorrent limits speed using KiB/s. 5040/8 = 630 KBps then 630*(1000/1024)= 615 KiB/s. I want to limit upstream to 75% of max so looking at 615*.75 = 461.
    I will give this number a shot and see if this solves the problem for me. It seems to have solved the problem for others.

Beans
    Distro

I took the step of limiting the upstream to a calculated 75% of the allowed bandwidth. This has seemed to work. I am not yet willing to call this quirk solved until it has run for a couple of days and has not crashed my network.
    This whole scenario does not make complete sense to me. I could see why the upstream bottleneck could really slow the system down but the download speeds were essentially zero. Why did this NOT happen under Lucid but now does happen under Natty? Why does this affect the LAN when it should only affect the link between the Cable Modem and the ISP? In my mind this fix should not work and yet....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast