Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Torrenting stops network activity

Beans

Re: Torrenting stops network activity

so let me get this straight
    you have a pc and a laptop connected to a router then the internet stops working but when the laptop drops the wlan connection the internet is back up?

Beans

I have two laptops and a desktop. One laptop starts to try to download a torrent. All machines can still download things and everything. After some time, the one laptop downing a torrent, while still connected to the wireless signal, suddenly stops downing or upping any amount of data at all. All while this is happening the other two machines are completely unaffected by any of this. They can still surf the web even after the torrenting machine's network activity stops. Nothing loses connection at all. And the bystander machines are always able to surf the web when the torrenting machine still has network activity. Sorry for not being very clear.

Beans

it could be that your router has a bad IP Flood Detection
    that's what happened to me
    it would confuse the ongoing torrent activity with a flood and it stopped the internet on that machine
    i had to disable IP Flood Detection for it to work again
    you might want to check your router settings

Beans

How would I do such a thing? And why would it not do it before, but do it now? Because I haven't always had this problem, but I've always had that router.

Beans

i don't know all possible answeres, i am just telling you what happened to me, maybe it's related

http://portforward.com/ has most of the routers available
    pick yours -> "Click here to skip this advertisement... "
    choose any application and among the first lines you should have your router administration address
    mine is 192.168.1.1

Beans

That sucks, sounds like this is gonna take a while especially since I don;t fully know how to do this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

synopsis for my situation: Torrents slow to zero, then network activity stops. Rebooting the machine gets torrents back to full speed and restores Web and email but they slow to a stop again with time.
    I have a good machine with a good Internet connection. These symptoms appeared after moving up to Natty from Lucid. Thought the problem was with "Transmission" but the same symptoms appear now that I switched to "qbitorrent".
    My son uses WIFI through the same router on a windows laptop and does not have the same problem. In addition I started a 5gb seed and had him start to leach at the same time. We found each other and the files transferred very quickly. At that point I was uploading so...it appears to be tied to length of time dowloading a torrent.
    Mentioned above is "Flooding". this may be the problem.....will try to work with that.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Many consumer-grade routers have small "NAT" tables that can fill up quickly if a torrent connects to lots of remote peers. The problem you describe is a common symptom of this limitation. Next time you suddenly cannot connect, try disconnecting the power from your router, waiting five or ten seconds, then reconnecting the power. Can you surf once again?

If rebooting the router solves the problem, you need to look into reducing the number of simultaneous connections (note: not bandwidth) that the torrent client makes. I find if I don't limit my client to 50 or so total connections, my router falls over. The default settings in many clients are much larger than this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

checked the router settings and found that packet flood detection is not selected so that is not the problem.
    I do not know much about the protocols for torrent transfers. Is it possible that the UDP session time-out has something to do with it?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Bittorrent uses TCP not UDP. Did you try rebooting the router? Limiting the number of simultaneous connections your client sets up?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast