Thread: Sudo in a user's crontab

Beans
    Hidden!

Sudo in a user's crontab

Is there a way to set up a user's crontab to have a command that needs sudo and run, and not have it run in root's crontab (why it can't is irrelevant, just wondering if this is at all possible). On an extended note, running any command from a crontab that would require input of a password.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Sudo in a user's crontab

You can run it with gksudo instead of sudo if your system has X running. You will need to set the DISPLAY variable in your crontab to make it work. For text only, I don't think it can be done.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Hidden!

Just prefix the command with 'sudo' and make sure in your /etc/sudoers file (edit it via 'visudo') that you can run the specified command without the need to enter your password.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by AlexC_ View Post
    Just prefix the command with 'sudo' and make sure in your /etc/sudoers file (edit it via 'visudo') that you can run the specified command without the need to enter your password.
    The question was not just about sudo, but in general any program that asks for a passowrd. Removing the need to enter the password kind of defeats the point.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Bachstelze View Post
    The question was not just about sudo, but in general any program that asks for a passowrd. Removing the need to enter the password kind of defeats the point.
    He wants to run a command as root but without placing the command in roots crontab; so he would need sudos default behaviour to run as root.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but his question would be solved by my answer.