Thread: I deleted "Password and Key Encryptions" because it's annoying , Is it ok ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Wink I deleted "Password and Key Encryptions" because it's annoying , Is it ok ?

Hi Guys

I removed "Password and key encryption" from Software Center because it's annoying , Is it OK ? Even when I tired to remove the passwords from it , remove it from startup , check "All Users" in Wireless connection, keeping the password blank and choosing "Unsafe Storage". It was still annoying and asking for a password over and over again . So I deleted it and I was warned about might not having new updates for Ubuntu desktop . My question , What does this mean ? Will I have a problem with this ?

Thanks in advance
    Regards
    Muhammad Najem
    Last edited by TheLibyanPirate; August 22nd, 2011 at 06:11 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: I deleted "Password and Key Encryptions" because it's annoying , Is it ok ?

It's fine, the back-end Gnome keyring is still there, you just uninstalled the graphic tool for managing it.

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: I deleted "Password and Key Encryptions" because it's annoying , Is it ok ?

Quote Originally Posted by blazemore View Post
    It's fine, the back-end Gnome keyring is still there, you just uninstalled the graphic tool for managing it.
    Thank you very much , but ًwhat about the warning "you might not get item updates for Ubuntu desktop" ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by TheLibyanPirate View Post
    Thank you very much , but ًwhat about the warning "you might not get item updates for Ubuntu desktop" ?
    Removing a package that belongs to the default install will also result in removing the "ubuntu-desktop"-metapackage. That's not a problem during normal use, you'll still get updates for all your installed packages. However you will definitely want to reinstall that package again before you try to upgrade to new Ubuntu versions.

The "ubuntu-desktop" is an empty package that has all the packages in the default setup marked as it's dependencies. So installing it will install everything that belongs to the default desktop setup. When upgrading to new release this ensures you'll get any new packages that might not exist in the old release, the new stuff would just be added to the metapackage's dependencies and get installed automatically.

(Removing metapackages like this is safe, as package dependencies are one-way mechanic; ubuntu-desktop depends on quite a list of packages, but nothing depends on ubuntu-desktop)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    Removing a package that belongs to the default install will also result in removing the "ubuntu-desktop"-metapackage. That's not a problem during normal use, you'll still get updates for all your installed packages. However you will definitely want to reinstall that package again before you try to upgrade to new Ubuntu versions.

The "ubuntu-desktop" is an empty package that has all the packages in the default setup marked as it's dependencies. So installing it will install everything that belongs to the default desktop setup. When upgrading to new release this ensures you'll get any new packages that might not exist in the old release, the new stuff would just be added to the metapackage's dependencies and get installed automatically.

(Removing metapackages like this is safe, as package dependencies are one-way mechanic; ubuntu-desktop depends on quite a list of packages, but nothing depends on ubuntu-desktop)
    Thank you very much !