Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: I deleted "Password and Key Encryptions" because it's annoying , Is it ok ?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Benghazi , Libya
    Beans
    11
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Wink I deleted "Password and Key Encryptions" because it's annoying , Is it ok ?

    Hi Guys

    I removed "Password and key encryption" from Software Center because it's annoying , Is it OK ? Even when I tired to remove the passwords from it , remove it from startup , check "All Users" in Wireless connection, keeping the password blank and choosing "Unsafe Storage". It was still annoying and asking for a password over and over again . So I deleted it and I was warned about might not having new updates for Ubuntu desktop . My question , What does this mean ? Will I have a problem with this ?

    Thanks in advance
    Regards
    Muhammad Najem
    Last edited by TheLibyanPirate; August 22nd, 2011 at 06:11 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Beans
    1,659
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: I deleted "Password and Key Encryptions" because it's annoying , Is it ok ?

    It's fine, the back-end Gnome keyring is still there, you just uninstalled the graphic tool for managing it.
    email: me@rory.sh
    IRC: ​blazemore@freenode

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Benghazi , Libya
    Beans
    11
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Smile Re: I deleted "Password and Key Encryptions" because it's annoying , Is it ok ?

    Quote Originally Posted by blazemore View Post
    It's fine, the back-end Gnome keyring is still there, you just uninstalled the graphic tool for managing it.
    Thank you very much , but ًwhat about the warning "you might not get item updates for Ubuntu desktop" ?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Finland/UK
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

    Re: I deleted "Password and Key Encryptions" because it's annoying , Is it ok ?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLibyanPirate View Post
    Thank you very much , but ًwhat about the warning "you might not get item updates for Ubuntu desktop" ?
    Removing a package that belongs to the default install will also result in removing the "ubuntu-desktop"-metapackage. That's not a problem during normal use, you'll still get updates for all your installed packages. However you will definitely want to reinstall that package again before you try to upgrade to new Ubuntu versions.

    The "ubuntu-desktop" is an empty package that has all the packages in the default setup marked as it's dependencies. So installing it will install everything that belongs to the default desktop setup. When upgrading to new release this ensures you'll get any new packages that might not exist in the old release, the new stuff would just be added to the metapackage's dependencies and get installed automatically.

    (Removing metapackages like this is safe, as package dependencies are one-way mechanic; ubuntu-desktop depends on quite a list of packages, but nothing depends on ubuntu-desktop)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Benghazi , Libya
    Beans
    11
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: I deleted "Password and Key Encryptions" because it's annoying , Is it ok ?

    Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    Removing a package that belongs to the default install will also result in removing the "ubuntu-desktop"-metapackage. That's not a problem during normal use, you'll still get updates for all your installed packages. However you will definitely want to reinstall that package again before you try to upgrade to new Ubuntu versions.

    The "ubuntu-desktop" is an empty package that has all the packages in the default setup marked as it's dependencies. So installing it will install everything that belongs to the default desktop setup. When upgrading to new release this ensures you'll get any new packages that might not exist in the old release, the new stuff would just be added to the metapackage's dependencies and get installed automatically.

    (Removing metapackages like this is safe, as package dependencies are one-way mechanic; ubuntu-desktop depends on quite a list of packages, but nothing depends on ubuntu-desktop)
    Thank you very much !

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •