Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mkv to avi ( with subtitles )

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: mkv to avi ( with subtitles )

Quote Originally Posted by BicyclerBoy View Post
    avi is an obsolete container format. A big step backwards from mkv or mpeg4.

I think only hard subtitles work in avi for stand-alone players.
    You can leave subs external as SRT for PC media player.
    My DVD players recognize neither MP4 nor MKV. Only AVI with XVID (or DivX) or MPG for video and AC3 or MP3 for audio (not AAC).

I end up converting all my MP4s and MKVs to AVI with one of those formats, "obsolete" or not.

http://www.kubuntuguide.info/index.php/Video_Conversion

or

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Video_conversion

The AVI container only allows a constant bitrate, so the MP3 audio must be encoded at CBR. If the AAC is 5.1, it will be downcoded to stereo for MP3.

This example is a two-pass technique that allows the file size to be specified and quality optimized for that filesize (using the information generated in the first pass). In this example, a 700 Mb file is desired (and is specified by the negative value).

This information is from the Gentoo Wiki for Xvid and mencoder at http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/HOWTO...ion_Guide#XviD .

mencoder <input.mp4> -ovc xvid -oac mp3lame -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=192 -xvidencopts pass=1 -o /dev/null
    mencoder <input.mp4> -ovc xvid -oac mp3lame -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=192 -xvidencopts pass=2:bitrate=-700000 -o <output.avi>

I like the tip about the setting for addition about the subtitle. I assume the .srt subtitle file is in the video directory and the mencoder program chooses it automatically (I've never tried it).
    Last edited by perspectoff; August 26th, 2011 at 02:51 AM.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
    and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Thanks!
    What wiki is that?
    Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks. I'll try what you wrote!
    [B][COLOR=purple]"A computer is like air conditioning – it becomes useless when you open Windows"
    - Linus Torvalds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@ #11 Very detailed & practical soln.

The OP is not using a stand-alone DVD player but an external HDD connected to TV (USB probably).

If you wanted to support all DVD players you would be better to make compliant DVDs.
    mpeg2 container with mpeg2 video mpg2 or AC3 audio.
    AAC & mp3 are not DVD compliant.

For the OP, it would make more sense to determine the TV file playback capabilities & then maximize the use of them.
    Some modern TVs with digital tuners have no problem playing mpeg2-ts with mpeg4/10-AVC(H264) AAC or AC3.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by perspectoff View Post
    I like the tip about the setting for addition about the subtitle. I assume the .srt subtitle file is in the video directory and the mencoder program chooses it automatically (I've never tried it).
    Matroska supports subtitle "streams" the same way it supports video and audio streams. The method I described assumed the subtitles were included in the container. With subtitles in an .srt file, I'd imagine the -sub option would work instead. (I"ve never transcoded a file with .srt subtitles.)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Lightbulb Re: mkv to avi ( with subtitles )

I found this Thread from Google....

I Want to share some information....

You can convert Mkv to Avi with Avidemux2, and this support SSA/AS* Subtitle with Subtitle Efect and colour.

You need to Extract the subtitle first with mkvextract.
    For Font Style , you must make sure you have all the font, you can check it with Aegisub, just open the subtitle, and go to File -> Font Collector -> Check Font Availability -> then click Start

The missing font sometimes included in the Mkv, you just need to extract it, and put in /usr/share/fonts/
    Or you can search in the web in put in /usr/share/fonts/
    You can re check it with Aegisub

To add Subtitle in Avidemux2, you click in Video to Xvid, and then Click Filters , and then Subtitles , and then Double Click AS*, then Browse to Subtitle you want to Add.

ps:
    - I Use Avidemux2 2.5.5 and this not support Hi10p ( it's just my Avidemux2 or i need to compile with the newest x264 library )
    For this, i will convert it with mencoder then with avidemux2

- AS* is Advanced SubStation Alpha

- I like Avi because converting to Xvid and hardsubing subtitle is much faster

- I Put all my converted Avi file to my MiniDLNA Server (ver 1.0.25) in TPLink MR3220 with OpenWRT Backfire 10.03.1 , then Play it in my Samsung TV

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Old thread.

Closed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12