Thread: SSH No route to host

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

SSH No route to host

When I try to SSH From Linux to Linux I get SSH error No Route To Host.

When I try to SSH From Windows using PuTTY to Linux it connects fine.

the error must then be on the client side of the linux software. Any ideas on a fix? Thanks!

I download puTTY for Linux also, and tried that (Linux/Putty to Linux) it gave me the no route to host error.

Beans

Re: SSH No route to host

I had the same issue, but only when to computer I was trying to connect to was hibernating or asleep.

All I had to do was move the mouse on the computer I was connecting to.

This was linux to mac and linux to linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

One of the reasons that that is happening is when the name of the machine isn't being recognized by your DNS.

Could you post the result of these commands?
    Code:
    $ ping destination

$ nslookup destination

$ ping destination.local
    Replace 'destination' with the name of the machine you're trying to connect.

Regards.

Beans
    Hidden!

Yup, been there!

I've had "No route to host" in two main types of situation, both of which have been touched on in previous responses. Typically I've either made a typo in the details I've put in, e.g. wrong IP address or host name, or the machine I'm connecting to isn't available, e.g. hibernating, rebooting or some such problem.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

Also forgot to say that sometimes the ip of the host will change. Happened to me recently causing quite a bit of confusion!

Beans

For anyone who's not so fluent in Ubuntu/SSH:
    This may be because there is already a "fingerprint" assigned the requested ip. Which means another connection used this ip. SSH stores the fingerprint (certificate) of the connected host for every ip-adress in the file /home/yourusername/.ssh/known_hosts. If already an entry with another fingerprint for the requested ip exists in the file, SSH refuses to connect, because it compares the ip's - not matching - fingerprint. You may resolve that by deleting the accordingly entry from the file, or - not recommended for productive enviroments - delete the whole file.

Beans

so, following meesha's statement, static ip addresses should fix that problem.