Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: ASUS u36sd support thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: ASUS u36sd support thread

Anyone got the USB 3.0 port running under 12.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by krustenBrot View Post
    Anyone got the USB 3.0 port running under 12.04?
    On my U36SD it works out of the box - no special settings required. I had made a fresh Xubuntu 12.04 install and it just worked... Before, on 11.10, I remember I had to make some adjustments, but it's not actual any more.

#crysman

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by crysman View Post
    The answer is already here somewhere. It is very probably because of the incorrect settings. I would suggest:
    • install lm-sensors and watch the temperature (watch 'sensors | grep temp') - my system is around 52 °C on normal activity, it goes above 58 only on higher CPU/GPU usage.
    • make a fresh latest (12.04) Ubuntu install
    • try the power hints - boot with i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 (but should not be necessary on 12.04)
    • install bumblebee to optimize graphic cards power and so temperature

This is what works for my ASUS U36SD running Xubuntu 12.04. Bumblebee and newest kernel is crucial. If you do not have newest kernel you should boot with that i915 option...

#crysman

Hm, OK. After my post I went on to Linux Mint. But I have the same issue - or, perhaps it's an issue just to me. Right now, for instance, my laptop feels unacceptably hot, but watch 'sensors | grep temp' says it's 53.0 °C. Oh well, thanks anyway! I'm still happy having learned about the watch command (:

Beans

I don't know if this has been answered, but how do I get wired network connections to work?

I have ubuntu 12.04, and there is no reaction when I plug in a network cable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ntesla123 View Post
    I don't know if this has been answered, but how do I get wired network connections to work?

I have ubuntu 12.04, and there is no reaction when I plug in a network cable.
    That ain't normal. Even the most basic laptop from back in 2000 would run ubuntu with LAN support out of the box (my experience). Are you certain there is a working LAN at the other end of your RJ45 cable? Please report the output of the two following commands (Ctrl-Alt-T to open the terminal, then select txt woth mouse and right click to copy):

Code:
    lspci | grep Ethernet
    ifconfig | grep -A 5 eth0

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cenaar View Post

Hm, OK. After my post I went on to Linux Mint. But I have the same issue - or, perhaps it's an issue just to me. Right now, for instance, my laptop feels unacceptably hot, but watch 'sensors | grep temp' says it's 53.0 °C. Oh well, thanks anyway! I'm still happy having learned about the watch command (:
    Hello again,
    and have you successfully installed bumblebee? Because NVIDIA graphic card likes to make your computer's internals hot...

In which particular location(s) is your U36SD hot? Left to touchpad?

#crysman

Beans

Does anybody have a trouble when CPU fan starts rotating at full power regardless of CPU temperature (48*C for example)? And even if you restart your PC it will not help. The only way is to shutdown it and startup again.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Exclamation Re: ASUS u36sd support thread

Quote Originally Posted by Awaking View Post
    Does anybody have a trouble when CPU fan starts rotating at full power regardless of CPU temperature (48*C for example)? And even if you restart your PC it will not help. The only way is to shutdown it and startup again.
    Unfortunately, yes I had no problems with the fan speed before, but now it behaves like you said - CPU fan starting to rotate at maximum speed regardless to CPU temperature (even at 48*C), then slowly returning back to quiet, then a bit below a minute remains quiet and then repeat..

I do not know what happened, it is really annoying Maybe it is connected with some actualization? We definitely need more users and some tests...

What a pitty, this wonderful notebook CAN be quiet - and had been for a long time!

#crysman

Beans

I wonder if anyone successfully turned U36jc into a wifi hotspot? I tried all how-tos I have managed to find to no avail.
    ASUS K53S Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit
    ASUS U36jc, i5-480M, 2.66GHz, 4Gb, nVidia Optimus Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit
    HP DV6-2113sa, AMD Turion™ II M620, 4Gb, ATI Radeon™ HD 4530 Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit
    ASUS 1015PX Netbook Lubuntu 14.04

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by crysman View Post
    Unfortunately, yes I had no problems with the fan speed before, but now it behaves like you said - CPU fan starting to rotate at maximum speed regardless to CPU temperature (even at 48*C), then slowly returning back to quiet, then a bit below a minute remains quiet and then repeat..

I do not know what happened, it is really annoying Maybe it is connected with some actualization? We definitely need more users and some tests...

What a pitty, this wonderful notebook CAN be quiet - and had been for a long time!
    #crysman
    Hmm, it seems that this kind of problems occurs only after hibernation... Also, hibernation has stopped to work properly recently - now the laptop does not shut down, I have to press and hold the power button to make it shut down. After power on it resumes. I used to have this problem before (another kernel), but then it got working. Now it is broken again... Also, furthemore, when resumed from hibernation, WiFi is disabled, I have to re-enable it via network settings.

So it seems there are some problems with devices/services not being waken up after hibernation. I think it is connected somehow also with the fan problem.

#crysman

Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast