Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 349

Thread: ASUS u36sd support thread

  1. #301
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: ASUS u36sd support thread

    You can read the lid state from:
    Code:
    /proc/acpi/button/lid/*/state
    but I doubt that you can get anything to search for state changes while your laptop is actually in sleep. (i.e. I have no idea how or if that could work)

  2. #302
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Mayence, Germany
    Beans
    135
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: ASUS u36sd support thread

    After extensive googling based on your suggestion:
    Quote Originally Posted by johnitsa View Post
    /proc/acpi/button/lid/*/state
    i discovered that it seems to be a very popular problem, if you look at

    Code:
    /proc/acpi/wakeup
    you can enable devices which are responsible for responding to input in a suspended state.
    Usually you can fidn something like
    Code:
    LID0       S3           *disabled
    change it to *enabled and it should work.

    found that on WOL threads with a few additions you have to make but these are irrelevant right now because: there isn't a LID entry on my U36 or it is somehow called different e.g. HDEF,PEGx?

    //edit: Could someone with mad bash skills take a look at: /etc/acpi/lid.sh . From what i understand the script is asking for the lid state (So theres definitely something to handle the lid why isn't it in /proc/acpi/wakeup?) if its closed its going into the if ... if not the else... is going to happen ...
    Last edited by krustenBrot; June 4th, 2012 at 12:59 PM.

  3. #303
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Beans
    47

    Re: ASUS u36sd support thread

    For the record, I have reported a bug that I have experienced since I first got this computer:

    Resume results in a reboot if one tries to resume soon after suspending.

    I don't know if (m)any other experience the same bug, but anyway, here it is:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1010337

  4. #304
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Beans
    89
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: ASUS u36sd support thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jadahl View Post

    Resume results in a reboot if one tries to resume soon after suspending.
    this is a variation of an old classic.
    However, I just came acorss this GRUB parameter :

    elevator=deadline

    My laptop feels faster altogether. Did anybody else try it?

  5. #305
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Beans
    0

    Re: ASUS u36sd support thread

    Hi!

    I have an ASUS U36SG. I think it is very similar to the U36SD, but with i7. (if not, excuse me for
    the off-topic)

    I've a lot of problem with my battery. I've tried all.
    Rc6, kernel 3.4-rc6, bumblebee... but my notebook consume always 15/20W (tested
    with powerstat.

    Can someone help me?
    I don't know what to do now...

    Thank you very much!
    David

  6. #306
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Beans
    3

    Re: ASUS u36sd support thread

    Hi!

    I've noticed that my U36SD is getting really hot with just normal use, e.g. browsing web. The problem grew when I updated to Ubuntu 12.04. Before, I used Win 7 and didn't notice this heat problem at all.

    Anyone else has this problem? I wonder if it could be a setting in Ubuntu that not triggers the fans or something like that?

  7. #307
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Beans
    8

    Re: ASUS u36sd support thread

    Quote Originally Posted by patrikt View Post
    Hi!

    I've noticed that my U36SD is getting really hot with just normal use, e.g. browsing web. The problem grew when I updated to Ubuntu 12.04. Before, I used Win 7 and didn't notice this heat problem at all.

    Anyone else has this problem? I wonder if it could be a setting in Ubuntu that not triggers the fans or something like that?
    Yup, I have the same problem and I came here to figure out why. The battery does not last very long - max 1.5-2 hours with normal usage like web browsing or watching video (running only VLC).

    The fan seems to be running constantly and after a while the air flowing out of the fan is very hot, as is the surfaces surrounding the fan.

  8. #308
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Beans
    44
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Lightbulb Re: ASUS u36sd support thread

    Quote Originally Posted by cenaar View Post
    Yup, I have the same problem and I came here to figure out why. The battery does not last very long - max 1.5-2 hours with normal usage like web browsing or watching video (running only VLC).

    The fan seems to be running constantly and after a while the air flowing out of the fan is very hot, as is the surfaces surrounding the fan.
    The answer is already here somewhere. It is very probably because of the incorrect settings. I would suggest:
    • install lm-sensors and watch the temperature (watch 'sensors | grep temp') - my system is around 52 °C on normal activity, it goes above 58 only on higher CPU/GPU usage.
    • make a fresh latest (12.04) Ubuntu install
    • try the power hints - boot with i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 (but should not be necessary on 12.04)
    • install bumblebee to optimize graphic cards power and so temperature


    This is what works for my ASUS U36SD running Xubuntu 12.04. Bumblebee and newest kernel is crucial. If you do not have newest kernel you should boot with that i915 option...

    #crysman
    Last edited by crysman; July 12th, 2012 at 09:02 AM. Reason: temperature added

  9. #309
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Beans
    13

    Re: ASUS u36sd support thread

    Hey! I've, after some trouble i might say, managed to install ubuntu some months ago. The problem was mainly due to something with BIOS and booting. Now I want to install the latest Ubuntu 12.04, but is unable to boot from USB or SD-card. I'm planning to call asus about this, but do you think it's BIOS related or hardware? The USB/SD card ports work otherwise...

    Thanks

  10. #310
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Beans
    44
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: ASUS u36sd support thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Flapse View Post
    Hey! I've, after some trouble i might say, managed to install ubuntu some months ago. The problem was mainly due to something with BIOS and booting. Now I want to install the latest Ubuntu 12.04, but is unable to boot from USB or SD-card. I'm planning to call asus about this, but do you think it's BIOS related or hardware? The USB/SD card ports work otherwise...
    Thanks
    Hi, on my ASUS U36SD I have to make some adjustments in BIOS every time I want to boot from USB flash. BTW, I don't think booting from a memory card is possible - use USB flash instead.

Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •