Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 349

Thread: ASUS u36sd support thread

  1. #271
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Beans
    402
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: ASUS u36sd support thread

    Quote Originally Posted by johnitsa View Post
    Unfortunately skype still needs LS_PRELOAD. Chrome, on the other hand, handles the webcam just fine (tested with the google talk plugin).
    of course...stupid skype. at least the LD_PRELOAD fix works

  2. #272
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Beans
    1,350

    Re: ASUS u36sd support thread

    Did you guys update through the Update Manager? Do you have Bumblebee installed? I have updated my other Asus laptop (K53) but it did not go well so I had to do fresh install.
    ASUS K53S Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit
    ASUS U36jc, i5-480M, 2.66GHz, 4Gb, nVidia Optimus Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit
    HP DV6-2113sa, AMD Turion™ II M620, 4Gb, ATI Radeon™ HD 4530 Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit
    ASUS 1015PX Netbook Lubuntu 14.04

  3. #273
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Beans
    402
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: ASUS u36sd support thread

    Quote Originally Posted by foxy123 View Post
    Did you guys update through the Update Manager? Do you have Bumblebee installed? I have updated my other Asus laptop (K53) but it did not go well so I had to do fresh install.
    I just did a clean install. Installed bumblebee. used http://thecodecentral.com/2011/01/18...ot-working-bug instead of the wiki instructions for suspend. (steps one and two in the link) and suspend + usb3.0 works great.

    Overall everything works for me. Those were the only tweaks I've done. However I do not have stock wifi/bluetooth or hdd or ram so you might need extra tweaks for some of those.

  4. #274
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Beans
    2

    Re: ASUS u36sd support thread

    I guys,
    I have bought an ASUS U36S which has both the integrated video card and the Nvidia GeForce 610M. I have installed ubuntu 12.04 and there is no way to make use of the Nvidia drivers. I read a lot in the web and it seems to me that there is no possibility to run the Nvidia because I can not disable the intel card form the BIOS.
    Actually I am interested in using the Nvidia card for computations only (CUDA C etc) not games, not 3D. I am aware that one possibility to use the Nvidia card is to install Bumblebee, but I gues that it is not suitable for my purposes.
    Do you have any suggestions other than running under Windows?
    Bests,
    Bustra

  5. #275
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Beans
    33

    Re: ASUS u36sd support thread

    I can't seem to get USB3 working on my U36SD. I have a Western Digital MyPassport USB3 disk, and when I connect it to the USB3 port, it is powered on but never mounted.

    lsusb says:
    Code:
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    I have 12.04, pretty much stock, no bumblebee or anything like that. How do I get USB3 working?

  6. #276
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Beans
    89
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: ASUS u36sd support thread

    Bustra,
    I remember a thread on the nvidia dev forums about a guy who successfully ran CUDA jobs with Ironhide/Bunblebee but I cannot seem to find it anymore.

  7. #277
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Beans
    89
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: ASUS u36sd support thread

    haakon,

    can you post the outpu of
    Code:
    lscpi -v | grep "USB 3.0"
    and if nothing shows up just
    Code:
    lspci
    and copy/paste the paragraph for the USB 3.0 controller?

    Also, I just tried my external LaCie USB 3.0 in 12.04 and it works out of the box (live session, others have reported it to work fine as well, see above). What I need to do to have my external drive working is to first power the device by plugging in the extra USB 2.0 power cable and wait a few seconds and then plug the USB 3.0. You might wanna try this is you have extra power supply capability for your Passport as well.
    Last edited by adrien214; May 12th, 2012 at 10:31 AM.

  8. #278
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Beans
    33

    Re: ASUS u36sd support thread

    Quote Originally Posted by adrien214 View Post
    haakon,

    can you post the outpu of
    Code:
    lscpi -v | grep "USB 3.0"
    and if nothing shows up just
    Code:
    lspci
    and copy/paste the paragraph for the USB 3.0 controller?
    Nothing did show up for "USB 3.0". Here's the entire output of lspci:

    Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller (rev 09)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200/2nd Generation Core Processor Family PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 05)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev b5)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev b5)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev b5)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 05)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM65 Express Chipset Family LPC Controller (rev 05)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 05)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 05)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF119 [GeForce GT 520M] (rev a1)
    03:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
    I've tried grepping around dmesg, but only see references to USB 2.0 and high-speed. I've tried modprobing various modules, and looked through BIOS to see if there's anything to enable, but I can't find anything.

    Here are also the parts about USB in lshw:

    Code:
    -usb:0
                 description: USB controller
                 product: 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2
                 vendor: Intel Corporation
                 physical id: 1a
                 bus info: pci@0000:00:1a.0
                 version: 05
                 width: 32 bits
                 clock: 33MHz
                 capabilities: pm debug ehci cap_list
                 configuration: driver=ehci_hcd latency=0
                 resources: irq:16 memory:df608000-df6083ff
    *-usb:1
                 description: USB controller
                 product: 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1
                 vendor: Intel Corporation
                 physical id: 1d
                 bus info: pci@0000:00:1d.0
                 version: 05
                 width: 32 bits
                 clock: 33MHz
                 capabilities: pm debug ehci cap_list
                 configuration: driver=ehci_hcd latency=0
                 resources: irq:23 memory:df607000-df6073ff
    Quote Originally Posted by adrien214 View Post
    Also, I just tried my external LaCie USB 3.0 in 12.04 and it works out of the box (live session, others have reported it to work fine as well, see above). What I need to do to have my external drive working is to first power the device by plugging in the extra USB 2.0 power cable and wait a few seconds and then plug the USB 3.0. You might wanna try this is you have extra power supply capability for your Passport as well.
    This drive has only one USB port and is supposed to get all its power from that, but thanks for the suggestion.

  9. #279
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: ASUS u36sd support thread

    The USB3.0 port works for me after I went through the steps on the community page for the U36SD.

    The only issue that I still have with it is that it randomly decides not to work after the laptop's been in sleep, but it gets fixed after a reboot.

    Quote Originally Posted by haakon View Post
    I can't seem to get USB3 working on my U36SD. I have a Western Digital MyPassport USB3 disk, and when I connect it to the USB3 port, it is powered on but never mounted.

    lsusb says:
    Code:
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    I have 12.04, pretty much stock, no bumblebee or anything like that. How do I get USB3 working?

  10. #280
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Beans
    33

    Re: ASUS u36sd support thread

    Quote Originally Posted by johnitsa View Post
    The USB3.0 port works for me after I went through the steps on the community page for the U36SD.
    I tried with pci=nomsi,noaer (even if it says it's only for 11.04), but it made no difference.

Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •