Page 27 of 35 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: ASUS u36sd support thread

Beans

Re: ASUS u36sd support thread

OK, got the 64-bit live usb version to work now, apparently it wasn't the default bios settings I have used. I have been trying too boot using uefi and not through the old plain bios. I had no idea something else than bios even existed...

Removing the usb disk from the boot priority list in the boot section of the bios, removing the uefi boot option, rebooting, then going to the save and exit part on the bios settings and going for the usb disk in the boot selection there did the trick. It booted up in unetbootin's boot menu, and though it took a while to start up, I'm now writing from the live system. No graphics problems or anything else so far.
    Last edited by Naugas; April 23rd, 2012 at 11:29 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Naugas View Post
    OK, got the 64-bit live usb version to work now, apparently it wasn't the default bios settings I have used. I have been trying too boot using uefi and not through the old plain bios. I had no idea something else than bios even existed...

Removing the usb disk from the boot priority list in the boot section of the bios, rebooting, then going to the save and exit part on the bios settings and going for the usb disk in the boot selection there did the trick. It booted up in unetbootin's boot menu, and though it took a while to start up, I'm now writing from the live system. No graphics problems or anything else so far.
    glad to see that you got it working. Let me know how your installation goes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Removing the usb disk from the boot priority list in the boot section of the bios, removing the uefi boot option, rebooting, then going to the save and exit part on the bios settings and going for the usb disk in the boot selection there did the trick.
    Where do i find to remove UEFI-booting in BIOS/UEFI?
    /Azyx

Ubuntu 12.04LTS 64bit, 13.10 Lubuntu 32-bit on eeePCs and OSX on a G4 800MHz iMac (iLamp). I think I have an W7 on one of my Virtualbox machine under 12.04LTS?

Beans

I don't know what your bios settings looks like, but on mine there is an option at the very top of the "boot" section where I can enable/disable uefi boot.

Note that I still experienced a problem even if it was disabled when the usb device was left in the boot priority list (I didn't confirm this, but it worked the next time when I had removed it), that's why I point out that step in my description.
    Last edited by Naugas; April 23rd, 2012 at 02:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I don't know what your bios settings looks like, but on mine there is an option at the very top of the "boot" section where I can enable/disable uefi boot.

Note that I still experienced a problem even if it was disabled when the usb device was left in the boot priority list (I didn't confirm this, but it worked the next time when I had removed it), that's why I point out that step in my description.
    I cannot find it anywere, have searched in EZ-mode and Advanced mode. A'm I bind or may it be that you don't have a chois? The manual is here:
    http://www.manualowl.com/m/Asus/E45M.../Manual/262972

..Or is it Force BIOS???

Can not find how I not select the SD-card with UEFI, that in the UEFI/BIOS (they call it boot BIOS and UEFI..very confusing..

Cheers

PS. When I installed 11.10, it seems to bee as 'normal BIOS' cos the boot SATA-disk, are not marked as UEFI, as the liveUSB in UEFI/BIOS on the machine.
    Last edited by Azyx; April 25th, 2012 at 03:56 PM.
    /Azyx

Ubuntu 12.04LTS 64bit, 13.10 Lubuntu 32-bit on eeePCs and OSX on a G4 800MHz iMac (iLamp). I think I have an W7 on one of my Virtualbox machine under 12.04LTS?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by johnitsa View Post
    I've manage to pretty much set up everything properly on my new U36SD. Thanks to the community guide and this thread, battery is up to somewhere around 6 hours.

There's only one thing that's just weird. The libs requried to fix the reversed webcam issue on oneiric pretty much fixed it for everything except skype. While in apps like Cheese the webcam looks perfectly fine, I'm still upside down.

I'm just curious if any of you guys experienced this until now and if (and how) you've managed to fix it. It's no rush to get it fixed though, since I read the problem's been fixed for precise pangolin.
    So, just upgraded to 12.04 and the webcam problem still hasn't gone. Aside from that, I managed to lose the capability to use any keyboard shortcuts with the Super key (note that I've seen a fix for unity, but it doesn't seem to work for gnome-shell).

Anybody else still experiencing the flipped webcam issue in 12.04? Would it make sense to whipe it and do a clean install?

Beans
    Distro

How do I take away UEFI tags on the USB-memory?
    /Azyx

Beans
    Hidden!

So, just upgraded to 12.04 and the webcam problem still hasn't gone. Aside from that, I managed to lose the capability to use any keyboard shortcuts with the Super key (note that I've seen a fix for unity, but it doesn't seem to work for gnome-shell).

Anybody else still experiencing the flipped webcam issue in 12.04? Would it make sense to whipe it and do a clean install?
    Nevermind the webcam issue. The libv4l-0 now magically works. I was hoping there won't be any need for LD_PRELOAD in 12.04, but I can live with it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Nevermind the webcam issue. The libv4l-0 now magically works. I was hoping there won't be any need for LD_PRELOAD in 12.04, but I can live with it
    so it works perfectly or it needs LD_PRELOAD? I haven't tested skype, but chrome worked properly for me a few days before release with beta.

Beans
    Hidden!

Unfortunately skype still needs LD_PRELOAD. Chrome, on the other hand, handles the webcam just fine (tested with the google talk plugin).
    Last edited by johnitsa; April 28th, 2012 at 08:20 AM. Reason: small typo :)

Page 27 of 35 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast