Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: ASUS u36sd support thread

Beans

Re: ASUS u36sd support thread

I recently purchased an Asus U36SD laptop. At start up I receive an error message about the Splendid video enhancement. I have downloaded the drivers for it, and have tried several times to uninstall and reinstall them, but the process freezes after a while. Any idea what the problem is?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by saunterteo View Post
    hi all.
    I've just bought an asus u36sd and I'm trying to install ubuntu 11.10 on it.
    I wrote the iso image on a usb pen with LiLi usb creator and unetbootin.
    I managed to boot from usb, but after choosing "install ubuntu" the screen went black and nothing happened.
    Can anybody help me?
    Thank you everybody!
    Quote Originally Posted by saunterteo View Post
    thank you for the help, actually I solved by changing some options in the bios.
    What did you change? I'm having the same problem and can't see any settings that should matter...

I tried the daily build too, but same problem - just a blank screen and no apparent disk activity after selecting "Try Ubuntu without installing". It just freezes.

edit: this was with 64-bit builds. Just tried a live x86 version and it ran fine.

edit 2: solution: boot through bios - uefi boot is broken, see post at http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=261
    Last edited by Naugas; April 22nd, 2012 at 01:50 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by johnitsa View Post
    Thanks for your reply. That's what I was saying: that I installed libv4l, but for some reason it doesn't seem to fix the issue, even with LD_PRELOAD.

It's alright anyways. I'll wait for 12.04 to go stable and then upgrade.
    Hi. I used ubuntu 11.10 on my u36s and have upgraded to latest update provided by ubuntu and google. And now my webcam view on google+ fixed (it's not displayed upside down anymore).

Beans

I've been trying 64-bit live usb 11.10 and daily builds, but it just freezes up after selecting "Try Ubuntu without installing". x86 versions runs normally.

Is this happening to the rest of you?

(I used unetbootin to create the usb flash drives, seemed to work fine.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Naugas View Post
    I've been trying 64-bit live usb 11.10 and daily builds, but it just freezes up after selecting "Try Ubuntu without installing". x86 versions runs normally.

Is this happening to the rest of you?

(I used unetbootin to create the usb flash drives, seemed to work fine.)
    i have no issues with 64bit live versions. what bios settings are you using? Also have you tried a different usb stick? I have found that one of my usb sticks doesn't like to boot properly sometimes.

good luck

Beans

Default bios settings except moving up my flash drive in the boot list. But really, what is there to change? See my post a little bit further up asking someone that apparently changed something...

I tried two different sticks, both boot with 32 bit 11.10 and daily 12.04.

Any suggestions of how to narrow this down and test for different problems? I guess I have to be able to run 64-bit things while in some way boot up in 32-bit...? Or maybe try some simpler 64-bit recovery linux versions and see if that works first?

edit: solution: boot through bios - uefi boot is broken, see post at http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=261
    Last edited by Naugas; April 22nd, 2012 at 01:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Naugas View Post
    Default bios settings except moving up my flash drive in the boot list. But really, what is there to change? See my post a little bit further up asking someone that apparently changed something...

I tried two different sticks, both boot with 32 bit 11.10 and daily 12.04.

Any suggestions of how to narrow this down and test for different problems? I guess I have to be able to run 64-bit things while in some way boot up in 32-bit...? Or maybe try some simpler 64-bit recovery linux versions and see if that works first?
    ya. i'm really not sure what you could have changed because it just works for me. I've never actually tried a 32 bit image but I'm sure it would work as well.

In your first post you said it freezes after selecting try ubuntu without installing. Is this in the GUI or on the command line that you make that selection?

Also what is your model, u36sd-a1 or what? I'm just trying to see what cpu and such you have, maybe there is some unique hardware issue somewhere.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by adrien214 View Post
    Henri, I'm gonna sum up what you need to do to get a decent 11.10 power
    consumption and low noise/heat:

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/hdparm.conf
    and insert the following bloc of code at the bottom of the file (source):

Code:
    /dev/sda {
            apm = 254
            apm_battery = 254
        }
    Then type (source):

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
    add a blank space after 'splash' and

Code:
    i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1 pcie_aspm=force
    between the quotes in the line

RUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

then save the file and type in the command line:

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    *EDIT : reboot your machine.
    I did all this steps.
    Then I have installed Jupiter and Bumblebee. Turn on the power saving mode. And now I have a problem:
    When I connect power cable to the notebook, the message "Power savings mode" pops up. After that interface becomes very laggy.
    If I disconnect power cable, the same message pops up and then (~after 20 sec. ) system interface becomes fast. .
    Why interface perfomance is higher with battery powered?
    The same result even in "Maximum perfomance mode" and "Power on demand mode".
    I notice that interface was fast in Live-CD mode and became laggy after installing.
    Last edited by Awaking; April 21st, 2012 at 05:36 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nwadams View Post
    ya. i'm really not sure what you could have changed because it just works for me. I've never actually tried a 32 bit image but I'm sure it would work as well.

In your first post you said it freezes after selecting try ubuntu without installing. Is this in the GUI or on the command line that you make that selection?

Also what is your model, u36sd-a1 or what? I'm just trying to see what cpu and such you have, maybe there is some unique hardware issue somewhere.
    I haven't been poking around anything more, but it should be grub it boots up in. And it is indeed the a1 version, if that is to any help. 8 GB memory.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Awaking View Post
    I did all this steps.
    Then I have installed Jupiter and Bumblebee. Turn on the power saving mode. And now I have a problem:
    When I connect power cable to the notebook, the message "Power savings mode" pops up. After that interface becomes very laggy.
    If I disconnect power cable, the same message pops up and then (~after 20 sec. ) system interface becomes fast. .
    Why interface perfomance is higher with battery powered?
    The same result even in "Maximum perfomance mode" and "Power on demand mode".
    I notice that interface was fast in Live-CD mode and became laggy after installing.
    try without jupiter running/installed. Are you using 12.04 or 11.10?

Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast