Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: ASUS u36sd support thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: ASUS u36sd support thread

my fault for not updating the main post. But the information in the wiki is good.

Good news in 12.04. the webcam isn't flipped anymore and we can use the fn+f9 button to turn the touchpad on and off.

I think with the sandy bridge kernel fixes and bumblebee 3 we can get decent battery life out of the system now too.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by r4b00f View Post
    Good news (for me atleast)

I got the USB3.0 suspend / hibernate problem solved. After checking the other Asus hibernate related threads on the forum it seemed that the problem is not model specific, but rather a more general issue. The script in this blog post did it for me:

http://thecodecentral.com/2011/01/18...ot-working-bug

I also had an issue with flash content being really choppy and laggy. This seems to be related to the Intel GPU drivers rather than straight to Adobe, so I'd expect this problem to be fixed for good some time in the future. As for now, I had to modify grub command line parameters slightly.

Adding i915.semaphores=1 made the problem go away at first, but after waking up from sleep the problem was back, so I experimented a bit and found out that setting i915.i915_enable_fbc=0 solved the issue. For completeness' sake, here's the full list of boot
    parameters I use:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash pci=nomsi,noaer i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=0 i915.lvds_downclock=1 i915.semaphores=1 pcie_aspm=force"

Finally everything seems to be working nicely.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. The flash problem is back after the computer was in sleep mode over the night. Crap.
    I had the flash problem too. It mainly had to do with ndiswrapper. I often ended up typing
    killall ndiswrapper
    and refreshing the webpage that has with the flash content.
    However, recently with updates from a week ago, "ndiswrapper" has disappeared and browser/flash integration is much better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mbeltagy View Post
    I had the flash problem too. It mainly had to do with ndiswrapper. I often ended up typing

and refreshing the webpage that has with the flash content.
    However, recently with updates from a week ago, "ndiswrapper" has disappeared and browser/flash integration is much better.
    this will be the native 64bit flash support, not requiring ndiswrapper any more.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

has anyone figured out how to get the fn+f5/fn+f6 brightness controls to interact with ubuntu. They work at a hardware level and adjust the brightness but don't interact in the OS.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nwadams View Post
    has anyone figured out how to get the fn+f5/fn+f6 brightness controls to interact with ubuntu. They work at a hardware level and adjust the brightness but don't interact in the OS.
    Yes. Fn+F5/6 controls the brightness correctly, but the adjustment made them is ignored by OS. I had to disable the auto-dim function. But every time of boot, I have to decrease the brightness manually.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sanz View Post
    Yes. Fn+F5/6 controls the brightness correctly, but the adjustment made them is ignored by OS. I had to disable the auto-dim function. But every time of boot, I have to decrease the brightness manually.
    ya, thats as far as I am too. I'm going to play with it once 12.04 comes out.

Beans

hi all.
    I've just bought an asus u36sd and I'm trying to install ubuntu 11.10 on it.
    I wrote the iso image on a usb pen with LiLi usb creator and unetbootin.
    I managed to boot from usb, but after choosing "install ubuntu" the screen went black and nothing happened.
    Can anybody help me?
    Thank you everybody!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by saunterteo View Post
    hi all.
    I've just bought an asus u36sd and I'm trying to install ubuntu 11.10 on it.
    I wrote the iso image on a usb pen with LiLi usb creator and unetbootin.
    I managed to boot from usb, but after choosing "install ubuntu" the screen went black and nothing happened.
    Can anybody help me?
    Thank you everybody!
    try clicking the try ubuntu button. there will be a install icon on the desktop to install from there.

Beans

thank you for the help, actually I solved by changing some options in the bios.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by saunterteo View Post
    thank you for the help, actually I solved by changing some options in the bios.
    good luck with everything. I recommend checking out 12.04 as soon as possible as well. Lots of fixes including built in RC6 enable with the new kernel so better power management. Also install bumblebee or some other method of turning off the nvidia graphics so your battery life is decent.

Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast