Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: ASUS u36sd support thread

Beans

Re: ASUS u36sd support thread

Btw guys bumblebee 3.0 works perfectly. The jump in fps for the graphics tests is phenomenal. Its much easier to set up than ironhide which i was using previously.

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/bumbl...a-optimus.html

On another note, does anyone else experience horrendous mouse jumpiness only when using the trackpad? I've not noticed this for a long time because ive been using a mouse but today when i took the laptop on the road, it became so bad to the point of being unusable. Rebooting temporaily fixes it but then i just comes back after a few minutes. Initially the cursor is just extremely jumpy so it is impossible to click on anything. Then the cursor becomes impossible to move in the vertical direction. Its really exasperating. Any ideas?

Beans

My above mentioned jumpy cursor problem goes away after i enter these commands, which i presume reset the mouse.

Code:
    sudo rmmod psmouse 
    sudo modprobe psmouse
    Based on the fact that it can be solved this way, does anyone have any idea what could be causing the problem or how i may automate this resetting in the event it occurs?

Edit: Gahh i spoke too soon. It just comes back after a couple of minutes. Damnit
    Last edited by torsades; January 27th, 2012 at 03:20 PM.

Beans

The USB3 port still doesn't work properly for me in 11.10. Initially it did not work at all,
    but after adding the boot options pci=nomsi,noaer, it started working. Working until the
    computer goes to sleep or hibernates. I skimmed this thread, but I can't recall seeing anything looking similar to my problem.

After resuming from a suspended state it seems that the mouse I have plugged in still
    receives power, but nothing registers in syslog when plugging it in and out. Same thing with a thumb drive.

Any ideas where to start looking?

Beans

I have the same problem with the usb 3.0 port on the right side. I dont have any usb 3.0 devices but sometimes the mouse fails to get recognised when plugged in there after resuming from suspend/hibernate. The only solution seems to be a reboot or simply to plug the mouse in the usb 2.0 port on the left. Time to get a long usb cable.

There are a few other annoyances that occur especially after resuming from a suspended state such as having to log in twice in a row, but what really drives me nuts is the jumpy cursor when using the trackpad after resuming. Goes away for a while on a fresh boot up. Two-finger scrolling seems to trigger it. I've tried turning off the option to disable trackpad when typing. Then it just becomes less frequent.

Beans

Are you by any chance using xorg-edgers (or similar) packages for X.org?

I tried to get an old program running by upgrading to a bleeding edge X.org
    version and Intel drivers. Not only did the program not work, but the newer
    drivers totally destroyed the performance of Intel graphics (glxspheres at 2-3 fps vs.
    ca. 56 normally) Also the trackpad became a lot more jumpy as a consequence, but it
    was consistent, not manifesting intermittently.

Beans

Concerning the mouse problem, I have not had an issue with it thankfully however on Win7 there was no two finger scroll, the mouse was very inconsistennt, and the one finger scroll was very very bad. I fixed it by getting rid of synaptics driver and using a mac driver. Not sure if this is any help at all, just throwing it out there. Heres the site I found the solution on:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus...pad-issue.html

Beans

I know this is way off topic but I installed ubuntu onto my external hard drive and everything worked perfect. I later tried installing archlinux onto the same external drive. The only thing I did different that time was that I made the mistake of installing grub onto the SSD which over wrote the windows booter. Do any of you guys know either how to restore the windows booter or get rid of grub on sda drive? thanks. BTW I got grub error 21 and I've looked all over the internet.

Beans

Good news (for me atleast)

I got the USB3.0 suspend / hibernate problem solved. After checking the other Asus hibernate related threads on the forum it seemed that the problem is not model specific, but rather a more general issue. The script in this blog post did it for me:

http://thecodecentral.com/2011/01/18...ot-working-bug

I also had an issue with flash content being really choppy and laggy. This seems to be related to the Intel GPU drivers rather than straight to Adobe, so I'd expect this problem to be fixed for good some time in the future. As for now, I had to modify grub command line parameters slightly.

Adding i915.semaphores=1 made the problem go away at first, but after waking up from sleep the problem was back, so I experimented a bit and found out that setting i915.i915_enable_fbc=0 solved the issue. For completeness' sake, here's the full list of boot
    parameters I use:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash pci=nomsi,noaer i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=0 i915.lvds_downclock=1 i915.semaphores=1 pcie_aspm=force"

Finally everything seems to be working nicely.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. The flash problem is back after the computer was in sleep mode over the night. Crap.
    Last edited by r4b00f; February 12th, 2012 at 11:29 AM.

Beans

Recent update came with some changes to xserver-xorg packages, now it seems that
    either the update, or upgrading the xserver-xorg-video-intel package to 2.17 via a PPA
    helped with the choppy flash problem.

However, the xserver-xorg update totally destroyed glxspheres performance on the intel
    GPU: instead of the normal ca. 55 fps, I now get barely 3 fps. I already had the newer intel
    driver installed when the xserver updated, so I'm thinking that the problem is not the
    intel driver package, but some other xserver component. Unfortunately I have no idea
    which. Any suggestions welcome, also regarding the correct place to report this as a bug.

Beans

Is this thread still being updated? I ended up getting rid of Ubuntu because I had a bad problem with the graphics stop drawing all the time. There was big triangular glitches popping up all the time. I ended up trying out Linux mint and haven't had one problem except when ever I'm watching a video or playing an online game it gets really hot

Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast