Page 22 of 35 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: ASUS u36sd support thread

Beans

Re: ASUS u36sd support thread

Quote Originally Posted by jadahl View Post
    Both Bumblebee and Ironhide provides a command named optirun. To install bumblebee, follow the guide here: https://launchpad.net/~bumblebee/+archive/stable
    I tried to install Bumblebee but seems like it needs some further configuration after installation? At least my battery consumption stayed the same. So I installed Ironhide. Don't know how well it works but with it I have twice as long battery life so I'm happy : ))

Beans

Windows7 had one power mode called office mode. I feel like my computer is making a bit to much noise, does anyone have any tips on how to make it more quiet in ubuntu 11.10?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Henri, I'm gonna sum up what you need to do to get a decent 11.10 power
    consumption and low noise/heat:

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/hdparm.conf
    and insert the following bloc of code at the bottom of the file (source):

Code:
    /dev/sda {
    	    apm = 254
    	    apm_battery = 254
    	}
    Then type (source):

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
    add a blank space after 'splash' and

Code:
    i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1 pcie_aspm=force
    between the quotes in the line

RUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

then save the file and type in the command line:

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    *EDIT : reboot your machine.

You should get a power consumption between 8 and 10W with reduced noise and heat, if you have installed Ironhide. Even with BT and WLAN enabled.

Quote Originally Posted by adrien214 View Post
    Henri, I'm gonna sum up what you need to do to get a decent 11.10 power
    consumption and low noise/heat:

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/hdparm.conf
    and insert the following bloc of code at the bottom of the file (source):

Code:
    /dev/sda {
    	    apm = 254
    	    apm_battery = 254
    	}
    Then type (source):

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
    add a blank space after 'splash' and

Code:
    i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1 pcie_aspm=force
    between the quotes in the line

RUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

then save the file and type in the command line:

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    *EDIT : reboot your machine.

You should get a power consumption between 8 and 10W with reduced noise and heat, if you have installed Ironhide. Even with BT and WLAN enabled.
    Add Jupiter and it might drop down to 6-8.
    [ Fuduntu.org ] - [ Fuduntu Forum ] - [ Fuduntu Blog ] - [ Fuduntu Wiki ]

For a classic desktop with the latest apps, get Fuduntu!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fuduntu View Post
    Add Jupiter and it might drop down to 6-8.

Speaking of Jupiter. Do you happen to know if all the possibilities in lesswatts.org are implemented in the app? Or is there some more stuff that needs to be done manually?

Quote Originally Posted by adrien214 View Post
    Speaking of Jupiter. Do you happen to know if all the possibilities in lesswatts.org are implemented in the app? Or is there some more stuff that needs to be done manually?
    Most of them. There is always "more" to do, nothing gets you 100% of the way there, not even Jupiter.
    [ Fuduntu.org ] - [ Fuduntu Forum ] - [ Fuduntu Blog ] - [ Fuduntu Wiki ]

For a classic desktop with the latest apps, get Fuduntu!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by torsades View Post
    Does anyone else get the brightness set to maximum after every single resume from sleep or hibernate? Is there a fix? Its really annoying to be blinded every time i resume.
    there is a script for setting the screen brightness at startup I don't know if it will work on resume. The thing is that regardless if I have a script doing something on startup or if I have a specific screen settings, ubuntu reverts to values I don't want every.single.time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Ok, I need help. I've been running 11.04 on my U36SD with an external monitor and a TV connected to the HDMI output via a HDMI splitter and it's been working fine. Sometimes I want to use my laptop on the couch and then I'll have to disconnect the HDMI cable, and the laptop monitor goes crazy after that - vertical stripes, gray noise-like texture, or it just goes black. I usually just restart X when I do this, and the computer realizes it's not connected to another monitor anymore. Same thing when I plug the HDMI cable back in.

Yesterday I tried something different and turned the TV/monitor off from the Monitor Preferences before disconnecting the cable. It didn't prevent the laptop screen mess up after disconnecting the HDMI cable, so I just thought to myself, no need to do that again... But now, when I have reconnected the HDMI cable, it looks like Ubuntu doesn't even realize the HDMI port exists! When I press "detect monitors" in Monitor Preferences the external monitor doesn't get detected, and even xrandr says nothing about the HDMI port. Here is the xrandr output:

Code:
    Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1366 x 768, maximum 8192 x 8192
    LVDS1 connected 1366x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 293mm x 165mm
       1366x768       60.0*+
       1360x768       59.8     60.0  
       1024x768       60.0  
       800x600        60.3     56.2  
       640x480        59.9  
    VGA1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    What can I do to get my HDMI output back? I've rebooted the computer several times, with and without the HDMI cable connected, with and without the HDMI splitter, etc. etc. Is my only option to reinstall Ubuntu? All help is greatly appreciated!

Beans

Does anybody have idea how can I use nVidia card instead Intel all the time long? Ubuntu interface is pretty laggy while using two monitors with Intel GPU.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Awaking View Post
    Does anybody have idea how can I use nVidia card instead Intel all the time long? Ubuntu interface is pretty laggy while using two monitors with Intel GPU.
    Negative. I am running dualmonitor normally. Even flash videos do not lag. I am using XUbuntu, though... not Ubuntu.

-- crysman

Page 22 of 35 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast