Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: ASUS u36sd support thread

Beans

Re: ASUS u36sd support thread

Quote Originally Posted by jadahl View Post
    Follow the steps under "Desktop effects" here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/As...esktop_effects

For making actual use of the nvidia card read the section after that.
    When I'm running the command in 'Desktop effect' I get this "E: Unable to locate package nvidia". And the section after 'Desktop effect' is what made the alt-shift-tab to stop working. I was only able to run unity 2d before that.

I don't follow acctually. What in those steps would make my alt-shift-tab work in unity again?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Henri Lebesgue View Post
    When I'm running the command in 'Desktop effect' I get this "E: Unable to locate package nvidia". And the section after 'Desktop effect' is what made the alt-shift-tab to stop working. I was only able to run unity 2d before that.

I don't follow acctually. What in those steps would make my alt-shift-tab work in unity again?
    Make that: "sudo apt-get remove nvidia-current" instead. Don't know why the wiki states nvidia, because I have no such package either. Please confirm if it works, so I can change the page.

Before trying to experiment with the high end graphics card I suggest getting 3D acceleration working using the Intel card first.

Beans

Make that: "sudo apt-get remove nvidia-current" instead. Don't know why the wiki states nvidia, because I have no such package either. Please confirm if it works, so I can change the page.

Before trying to experiment with the high end graphics card I suggest getting 3D acceleration working using the Intel card first.
    Okay, I tried it. And it worked. But for what purpose did you tell me to do it? What am I supposed to do to get the 3D acceleration to work? New to ubuntu, been doing alright so far. But these graphics drivers is pretty tricky.

Beans

Okay, I tried it. And it worked. But for what purpose did you tell me to do it? What am I supposed to do to get the 3D acceleration to work? New to ubuntu, been doing alright so far. But these graphics drivers is pretty tricky.
    With worked, do you mean that you get Unity (not Unity 2D) working as well? (Together with the blacklist stuff).

FYI, unity2d and unity are two different programs that look very similar. unity is built with "compiz" while unity2d is a QT application.

Beans

With worked, do you mean that you get Unity (not Unity 2D) working as well? (Together with the blacklist stuff).

FYI, unity2d and unity are two different programs that look very similar. unity is built with "compiz" while unity2d is a QT application.
    From start I was using Unity2D, without even knowing about Unity. When I installed IronHide it changed to Unity. The problem I have is that alt-shift-tab doesn't work in Unity, but works perfectly in Unity2D.

After I ran your command my battery consumption went higher so I still have something left to do with graphics drivers. The command removed IronHide as well.

But you mentioned something about 3D acceleration. You recommend me to do it before installing IronHide. I don't understand exactly what IronHide does, but some instructions says that you are supposed to remove all nvidia drivers before installing it. Am I mistaken here?

I really appreciate your help!

Beans

From start I was using Unity2D, without even knowing about Unity. When I installed IronHide it changed to Unity. The problem I have is that alt-shift-tab doesn't work in Unity, but works perfectly in Unity2D.

After I ran your command my battery consumption went higher so I still have something left to do with graphics drivers. The command removed IronHide as well.

But you mentioned something about 3D acceleration. You recommend me to do it before installing IronHide. I don't understand exactly what IronHide does, but some instructions says that you are supposed to remove all nvidia drivers before installing it. Am I mistaken here?

I really appreciate your help!
    I suppose Unity don't have that key-binding by default, while Unity 2D has. There are some inconsistencies between the two.

I recommend at least getting 3D acceleration using the Intel card working first. If you can run Unity (not 2D) you already succeeded with that, since it requires 3D acceleration to function. Full 3D acceleration using the nvidia card won't work right now, but you can selectively run programs (read games) so you'll still be able to run them.

Personally I don't run IronHide (I did, but found it more buggy than the alternative) but Bumblebee. If you want to run Bumblebee but already have IronHide installed, follow the instructions here: https://launchpad.net/~bumblebee/+archive/stable . I also noticed that I forgot adding one of the commands to the wiki (usermod). Fixed now.

Beans

I suppose Unity don't have that key-binding by default, while Unity 2D has. There are some inconsistencies between the two.

I recommend at least getting 3D acceleration using the Intel card working first. If you can run Unity (not 2D) you already succeeded with that, since it requires 3D acceleration to function. Full 3D acceleration using the nvidia card won't work right now, but you can selectively run programs (read games) so you'll still be able to run them.

Personally I don't run IronHide (I did, but found it more buggy than the alternative) but Bumblebee. If you want to run Bumblebee but already have IronHide installed, follow the instructions here: https://launchpad.net/~bumblebee/+archive/stable . I also noticed that I forgot adding one of the commands to the wiki (usermod). Fixed now.
    Okey! How do I get that for my intel card, how do I know which one I'm using? Ubuntu3D is working now, am I using the nvidia card? I have only done the 'nvidia high end' step and ran your command after that. Everything else is clean as a new installation of ubuntu.

Beans

Okey! How do I get that for my intel card, how do I know which one I'm using? Ubuntu3D is working now, am I using the nvidia card? I have only done the 'nvidia high end' step and ran your command after that. Everything else is clean as a new installation of ubuntu.
    It's using the Intel card. Currently there is no way of using the nvidia card for running the whole desktop environment (I think). If you run "optirun glxgears" in a terminal, does a glxgears window show up? If it say "command not found" or something, install mesa-utils. If so, you should be able to use the nvidia card via that command.

Beans

It's using the Intel card. Currently there is no way of using the nvidia card for running the whole desktop environment (I think). If you run "optirun glxgears" in a terminal, does a glxgears window show up? If it say "command not found" or something, install mesa-utils. If so, you should be able to use the nvidia card via that command.
    The command you gave me before removed Ironhide. I can't run optirun without Ironhide?

Beans

The command you gave me before removed Ironhide. I can't run optirun without Ironhide?
    Both Bumblebee and Ironhide provides a command named optirun. To install bumblebee, follow the guide here: https://launchpad.net/~bumblebee/+archive/stable

Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast