Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ASUS u36sd support thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

ASUS u36sd support thread

Link to the wiki for u36sd
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Asus_U36SD

So it turns out that I had a usb 3.0 problem with mine so I do not know when or even if I will be getting a u36sd with ubuntu.

Works out of the box
    Audio
    Audio out port
    Internal microphone
    Mic port
    HDMI port
    Video (without desktop effects)
    USB
    Wireless Networking
    WiFi switch (Fn+F2)
    VGA port
    Card reader
    Brightness control (Fn+F5/F6)
    LCD on/off switch (Fn+F8)
    Multitouch touchpad (two finger scrolling, activate via System Settings)
    Intel Turbo Boost (to test, run turbostat from the package acpidump)

Does not work out of the box
    Desktop effects
    Nvidia card
    Volume control (Fn+F10/F11/F12)
    Multimedia controls (Fn+Up/Down/Left/Right)
    Suspend
    Bluetooth

Helpful Tips and Tweaks
    Unity 3D and Nvidia graphics support: Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT install the Nvidia graphics drivers. It will not work.
    Options:
    1. use this to disable the nvidia gpu and just use the intel gpu.
    2. Install bumblebee/Ironhide for dual graphics support.

How to fix webcam orientation. Follow the instructions here to fix webcam orientation.

Frequently Asked Questions
    Will the Nvidia Graphics drivers work? No they will not. Nvidia is not supporting Optimus in Linux so the official Nvidia drivers will not work with this laptop. Do NOT install them, it will only create problems. The only way to make use of the Nvidia graphics card in Linux is to use Bumblebee/Ironhide otherwise you are stuck using the Intel hd3000 that is integrated with the cpu.

If anyone has a u36sd already please post what works/what doesn't work and any extra configuration/tweaks you had to do to get things to work properly. I will add your advice and instructions to this main post so we can make a comprehensive guide for other owners.

Thanks to:
    Martin Juhl - Bumblebee/Ironhide (http://www.martin-juhl.dk/)
    Last edited by nwadams; September 9th, 2011 at 05:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: ASUS u36sd support thread

Hello,
    I just installed 11.04_desktop_amd64 fresh on my U36SD after wiping clean the harddrive and merging all partitions with gparted live.

The first problem that appeared was that the hardware was not sufficient for running unity. This issue has to do with the dual intel onboard/nvidia graphics. I just discovered bumblebee and Nouveau and am going to look into this later. The best thing to do to have the thing running with intel is to disable unity upon logon (ubuntu-standard option) or install unity 2D (sudo apt-get install unity-2d).

EDIT : not all Fn keys shortcuts work (yet)
    Last edited by adrien214; August 25th, 2011 at 08:13 AM.

Beans

I also plan on getting that ASUS notebook. Have you tried these drivers?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-d...21-driver.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by popsch View Post
    I also plan on getting that ASUS notebook. Have you tried these drivers?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-d...21-driver.html
    That won't work. The u36sd has nvidia optimus which nvidia is not supporting. You will need to use the intel drivers and acpi_call to disable the nvidia gpu OR use some form of bumblebee.

Beans

Does Nvidia have a good track history of building Linux drivers? It's pity otherwise, because the Asus looks really good.

Beans
    Distro

now bumblebee has forked to Ironhide as well...

Beans

I've recently ordered a u36sd but havnt recieved it yet. Looking at this thread I get kind of suspicious though... isnt the u36sd just the u36jc but with the sandy bridge processor? I manage to see no other difference in terms of hardware... So wouldnt one of all the guide for u36jc ubuntu work on the u36sd?

Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro

it would indeed thanks for pointing it out ! I'll try the setup guide for 10.10 as well, some issues might have similar solution.

and just a quote from the setup guide :

Lima November
    Boot splash

As usual with Intel cards, Plymouth boot splash will show too late in the boot process. If you want it to appear earlier, type this in a console window:

sudo echo FRAMEBUFFER=y > /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash
    sudo update-initramfs -u

You might get a little bit slower boot, but it will look much consistent (IMHO).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by adrien214 View Post
    it would indeed thanks for pointing it out ! I'll try the setup guide for 10.10 as well, some issues might have similar solution.

and just a quote from the setup guide :
    Thats awesome! I was so scared that the u36sd wouldnt work while the u36jc would that I almost cancelled my order to get the u36jc instead, thats how much I want ubuntu!

Please keep us posted in how things are working out for you both with 11.04 and 10.10. Myself I havnt, from the looks of it, grown too attracted to unity but it would be interesting to know if it works on the u36 with the nvidia gpu disabled. Somebody told me compiz works that way, so I guess unity should too right? Or do we have to use 2d unity? I heard that that one had a horrible graphic for the workspaces.

Gosh, I really cant stand the wait for my u36sd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by arneanka View Post
    Thats awesome! I was so scared that the u36sd wouldnt work while the u36jc would that I almost cancelled my order to get the u36jc instead, thats how much I want ubuntu!

Please keep us posted in how things are working out for you both with 11.04 and 10.10. Myself I havnt, from the looks of it, grown too attracted to unity but it would be interesting to know if it works on the u36 with the nvidia gpu disabled. Somebody told me compiz works that way, so I guess unity should too right? Or do we have to use 2d unity? I heard that that one had a horrible graphic for the workspaces.

Gosh, I really cant stand the wait for my u36sd
    With the new bumblebee/ironhide we are going to be able to take advantage of the dual graphics as well instead of just disabling the nvidia card. So that will be different from the u36jc instructions (bumblebee/ironhide didn't exist then)

But I created this thread in case asus threw a curveball at us with the new model. I suspect the instructions will end up being very similar though.

Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast