Thread: Best printer and scanner combo with LAN and Linux support?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Best printer and scanner combo with LAN and Linux support?

Hello,

I currently own a Lexmark X9575 which is a paperweight with Linux, I'm looking for a new printer and scanner combo with the ability to interface with my network as I have many computers printing to it. I don't need wireless capability however I'm looking for something that is less than £100 and will provide me with decent functionality under Ubuntu. Preferably with cheap ink cartridges too as I've heard that the new Lexmark printers contain a chip in the cartridge which prevent you from refilling them (which I do with my current printer).

Thanks,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Best printer and scanner combo with LAN and Linux support?

I have always had good luck with HP's

I am currently using a HP deskjet J4680 All-in-One with Lucid.
    I find that all of the all in ones are a little expencive to feed. But this one seems to get good mileage out of its ink cartridges.
    Liberty in Life and Freedom in Software.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Epson-Stylus...pr_product_top

How is this printers compatibility with Ubuntu? I seem to have conflicting reports, especially with the scanning capabilities. Also I've heard that the cartridges "lie" about their current state and through resetting the chip you can get extra prints as well as refill the cartridges, is this true?

Also, I have a problem with my Lexmark printer that it dumps crap all over my system, does this come with an independent driver?

EDIT: I've just found this link and it seems that Epson offically supports Linux, however I'm wondering if this will work with the printer in Wireless mode also would it support the scanner it seems to only imply the printing function?
    http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/do...n-inkjet/escp/
    Last edited by PierreRobiquet; August 21st, 2011 at 10:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Thumbs down Re: Best printer and scanner combo with LAN and Linux support?

Quote Originally Posted by ConcreteDonkey View Post
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Epson-Stylus...pr_product_top

How is this printers compatibility with Ubuntu? I seem to have conflicting reports, especially with the scanning capabilities. Also I've heard that the cartridges "lie" about their current state and through resetting the chip you can get extra prints as well as refill the cartridges, is this true?

Also, I have a problem with my Lexmark printer that it dumps crap all over my system, does this come with an independent driver?

EDIT: I've just found this link and it seems that Epson offically supports Linux, however I'm wondering if this will work with the printer in Wireless mode also would it support the scanner it seems to only imply the printing function?
    http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/do...n-inkjet/escp/
    By the way, before you buy, make sure they have Linux Drivers (built into the Kernel), these are the best. Go to insall a Printer Driver select the manager, make and model, etc - just to make sure their is Linux support, then close the page and continue with your work.

NOTE: Sorry if this post comes out funny, this is my first Mobile post, and I don't believe this site is optimised for mobile web?

Hope this is of help....

x-D
    Choose Freedom, Choose Linux, Choose Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I've had pretty decent luck with Brother networked printers. If you google "brother+linux drivers" you should go to their Linux drivers page. You can check on any machines that interest you to be sure there are Linux drivers available. I've recently installed refillable cartridges in my MFC6490CW. You can also find continuous ink system retrofits but they look a little too "retrofit" for my tastes. I found empty cartridges and found a local source of what appears to be good quality ink. So far so good.

Beans

Hi there!

I have 23 Linux-compatible network printers

Hope this helps! Cheers
    Ubuntu user since 5.10 "Breezy Badger"
    Please share your experience with your Linux Printer!